• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ed Wiser

Reaction score
You will get use to it to me that is a standard brim size. If all you have worn in the past is sting
brim hats I know it can be difficult to adjust. But it's more of a learning process. Adjusting your vision of yourself. Just like a shift from a t shirt to a nice shirt and a sport coat is an adjustment if you are not use to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yes, it was more than I wanted to spend, but I really wanted a vintage panama, and not many come along in my size. Having received it, it's as nice as I would have hoped. I'll probably hold on to it and see if I get used to the brim size over time.

That is all good providing the straw is supple and on 50 year old hats that is not always the case and that fact is not easily visible on eBay.

Mr. Pink

Reaction score

That is all good providing the straw is supple and on 50 year old hats that is not always the case and that fact is not easily visible on eBay.

Luckily it is, but like any ebay purchase, it could have turned out badly.

Last edited:

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

deerskin fedora by optimo

J. Cogburn

Reaction score

jcphoto: some basics:

You can get fedoras and panamas with different sizes of brim and different crown shapes; none of these is really more formal than the others, or more suited to any particular occasion than any other, it's purely a style choice.

Colors of both the hat and the hat band are mostly just a question of co-ordination, and in terms of appropriateness / formality, pretty much follow the rules for suit colors (black is formal, grey and brown are safe, anything outside of that is getting a bit peacockish - blue hats fall on the peacockish side of things, unlike blue suits.

Disagree on these points. The taller the crown, the more formal the hat. Tallish crowns go with suits but look discordant with casual clothes. Same goes for brim size (save for Panamas, where wider is always better given the function of providing shade in the summer).

Hats which match your outwear (overcoat or, if you're not wearing an overcoat, your suit coat) rarely look very good. Harmonize, don't match.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

tobacco brown fedora by optimo

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Not buying it.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

rust fedora by optimo

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Disagree on these points. The taller the crown, the more formal the hat. Tallish crowns go with suits but look discordant with casual clothes. Same goes for brim size (save for Panamas, where wider is always better given the function of providing shade in the summer).

Hats which match your outwear (overcoat or, if you're not wearing an overcoat, your suit coat) rarely look very good. Harmonize, don't match.

All of the above = good advice

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads