• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I lived in Ecuador in the late 60s at the capital Quito.
Quito is the the Sirerra ( the Andes) at over 3000 meters
and has a climate like San Francisco in the Spring-
cool and sunny. One seldom saw "panama hats" worn
by the locals.
I was in Quito last month. I don't recall seeing a Panama hat on any locals, and I was looking for it.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in Quito last month. I don't recall seeing a Panama hat on any locals, and I was looking for it.

Not surprisingly. Sadly, hats have progressively disappeared in the last decades, whereas they were the norm in the 60s. Some revival recently, but we have to wait and see how consistent and stable.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not surprisingly. Sadly, hats have progressively disappeared in the last decades, whereas they were the norm in the 60s. Some revival recently, but we have to wait and see how consistent and stable.
Maybe we will see a minor comeback. We older ones would be well served by getting less sunlight to the face, and as one ages he gains license to dress however the hell he wants, regardless of current fashion.

I may be projecting with this attitude, but too often from a hat wearing young man I get the "Hey, check out my hat!" vibe while an older man can pull it off naturally. I recall something I read, "The first rule of wearing a hat is to pretend that you are not wearing a hat."

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe we will see a minor comeback. We older ones would be well served by getting less sunlight to the face, and as one ages he gains license to dress however the hell he wants, regardless of current fashion.

I may be projecting with this attitude, but too often from a hat wearing young man I get the "Hey, check out my hat!" vibe while an older man can pull it off naturally. I recall something I read, "The first rule of wearing a hat is to pretend that you are not wearing a hat."
I go to an independent living place to visit my 92 year old mother. Many of the people that live on her hall tell me, when they see me in my fedora, that I make them think of their fathers.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These gentlemen wear a hat with class.

Screenshot (1322).png
Screenshot (1323).png

Screenshot (1324).png
Screenshot (1321).png
Screenshot (1318).png

Father Style

Reaction score
I’ve had this Selentino homburg for almost 10 years. It never fit totally right (too circular for my oval head) because I never really wore it all that much compared to all my other hats so it never had a chance to really conform to my head. I decided to fix that by wearing it during multiple sessions of vigorous wood chopping! I figure the copious amounts of sweat and rain will soften it up!
IMG_6009.jpeg

FatherStyle.com

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In Quito, and the Sierra in general, hats were widely worn by all classes
from indigenous laborers to aristocrats, but they were invariably felt. On the
coast with a tropical climate, straw was very common. Despite wearing a suit every
day, I never wore a hat although I had a trilby from Herbert Johnson.

Last edited:

OldsRecordingGuy

Reaction score
As a fookin' Peaky Blinder you don't have any betters you need to address! Don 't mess with me!! ;)
Seriously, I just wear this cap regularly here without any salutations to superiors on my mind - as crazy as that seems to you.:)

Amidé

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads