• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The 2024 Styleforum and Epaulet Alpaca Project

For the third year in a row, we're thrilled to partner with @Epaulet to bring you an exclusive collection of luxurious sweaters, hats, jackets, and blankets in Peruvian Alpaca.

Details can be found here

The Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

WaIIace

Reaction score
With a 41" chest and a size 42, I have room to layer a sweater. With a size 40, it is a trim fit (but not tight) with no room to layer. I think the same would hold true if I had a 42" chest.

The p2p of a size 42 peacoat is 22 1/4" +-. The p2p of a size 40 peacoat is 21 1/4" +-. These are sizes for the US Navy peacoat. Not sure what the civilian copies are. They probably vary quite a bit.
Thank you! I guess the fit should be good if I go with the 36 size where pit to pit is 19"

Ed68

Reaction score
I lurk on here fairly frequently, mainly JMM and SEH Kelly, but thought I’d say out of the UK based peacoats I’ve seen my SEH Kelly one is the best by a long distance.

I appreciate I don’t post on here so nobody ‘knows me’. To give you an idea of what I also rate coat wise my current* top 5 is:

Private White Twin Track (with The Rake)
SEH Kelly Peacoat
Nigel Cabourn Cameraman
Rocky Mountain Featherbed (with Trickett)
Fjallraven Smock No 1

* ask me tomorrow and it would be a different answer

WaIIace

Reaction score
With your 36" chest, a size 36 peacoat should give you room a layer a sweater underneath.
Hi again. I have found one for a good price, it is a 38 size, not 36 but pit to pit measurement is 19.5" there, so it should fit. However, shoulder measurement is a little bit big - 18.5". Is it possible to alter them or do you recommend to keep looking for the one with the suitable measurements?

Peacoat

Reaction score
Hi again. I have found one for a good price, it is a 38 size, not 36 but pit to pit measurement is 19.5" there, so it should fit. However, shoulder measurement is a little bit big - 18.5". Is it possible to alter them or do you recommend to keep looking for the one with the suitable measurements?
I am always leery of the measurements given by sellers. You should be as well.

First of all if it is an issue peacoat, the p2p on a size 38 is going to be right at 20.5", not 19.5". The smaller sizes (34, 36 and 38) use a different p2p sizing structure than do the larger sizes. Why? I have no idea, but I imagine it is for a good reason.

You don't want to get a size 38 peacoat; it will swallow you. Stick with a size 36 if you want room to layer a sweater. Go with a size 34 (19" p2p) if you want a trim fit without room to layer.

I think most tailors can do a decent job on altering the shoulders; some perhaps not. I would stay away from that of alteration unless absolutely necessary. it isn't necessary in your case. Go with a 36 or a 34, depending on how you want it to fit, and the shoulders should be ok.

WaIIace

Reaction score
I am always leery of the measurements given by sellers. You should be as well.

First of all if it is an issue peacoat, the p2p on a size 38 is going to be right at 20.5", not 19.5". The smaller sizes (34, 36 and 38) use a different p2p sizing structure than do the larger sizes. Why? I have no idea, but I imagine it is for a good reason.

You don't want to get a size 38 peacoat; it will swallow you. Stick with a size 36 if you want room to layer a sweater. Go with a size 34 (19" p2p) if you want a trim fit without room to layer.

I think most tailors can do a decent job on altering the shoulders; some perhaps not. I would stay away from that of alteration unless absolutely necessary. it isn't necessary in your case. Go with a 36 or a 34, depending on how you want it to fit, and the shoulders should be ok.
You are probably correct, thank you. This specific seller has a picture of the pit to pit measurement though (Naval Clothing Depot tag, btw)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241010-173338.png
    Screenshot_20241010-173338.png
    268.2 KB · Views: 0

Peacoat

Reaction score
Yes, it does appear to be closer to 19.5" than 20.5". Some of these coats were simply mis–labeled as to size. This could be one of them. I wonder if the shoulder measurement is for a size 36 as well?

Is the size stamped on the tag?

But remember, if you get a size 36 it will probably be large enough to layer a sweater underneath.

WaIIace

Reaction score
Yes, it does appear to be closer to 19.5" than 20.5". Some of these coats were simply mis–labeled as to size. This could be one of them. I wonder if the shoulder measurement is for a size 36 as well?

Is the size stamped on the tag?

But remember, if you get a size 36 it will probably be large enough to layer a sweater underneath.
Most of the size 36 coats have 18" shoulder measurement. Only some of them 17"-17.5" (more suitable for me). This one - 18.5". And yes, the tag says 38 size

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j88tips