• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

McMansion or not?

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CommercialDoc

This one looks like professional office space, like a small law firm or a doctor might practice there. Something about the shape of the windows, roofline, and porch.

arced

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CommercialDoc

Can someone tell me why all McMansions have those inserts in the windows make it look like there's a bunch of small windows instead of one large pane? Is it merely a bad simulation of ol' timey windows? Is there any practical purpose behind it?

CommercialDoc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
All the houses in CD's post are McMansions. They are on tiny lots, in a new "upscale" development in some ******* suburb. There are probably 6 floorplans to choose from, with three or four exteriors for each. It's like Celebration, Florida.

All ******* smoke and mirrors.

I didn't mean to make it a mystery. The neighborhood is in Pittsburgh. Here is a link:

http://www.summersetatfrickpark.com/

CHenry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by arced
Can someone tell me why all McMansions have those inserts in the windows make it look like there's a bunch of small windows instead of one large pane? Is it merely a bad simulation of ol' timey windows? Is there any practical purpose behind it?

It is done for style, to keep the appearance of the windows in whatever style the rest of the house has and to save money (not saying the house pictured looks particularly of a period, it seems a bad jumble of styles.)

Real muntined windows are a lot more expensive than the fake ones. Each separate pane is a sealed unit seated in the wooden frame of the sash and muntins. They are used in restoration of historic properties and in the highest-end of period-authentic new home construction.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
I have a habit of knocking on my interior brick walls. Sometimes I'll ask people where I can get fake bricks like theirs. They're always caught off guard. Losers.
Dividing interior from interior spaces, not interior from exterior, right?

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I left the church because I didn't want to associate with people that went HERE to find God. As if He would ever step inside such a *************?

vfiles2262.jpg

I learned to drive in the parking lot of this church.
laugh.gif

HEARTLESS-531

Reaction score
That looks like the house on the cover of 'WHAT NOT TO BUILD'. I learned a ton by reading that book. Heavyon the pictures and Barneyed down for me just enuffff.

Originally Posted by BBSLM
I found this post very interesting and informative. Can anyone recommend a book(s) that covers various architectural styles and their features, etc?

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEARTLESS-531
That looks like the house on the cover of 'WHAT NOT TO BUILD'. I learned a ton by reading that book. Heavyon the pictures and Barneyed down for me just enuffff.

Thanks. this looks like what I am looking for.

Im also interested in more historic, i guess 'classical', architecture. I took a class in college that covered all the different styles in depth, but I wasnt really interested in learning about them back then.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Dividing interior from interior spaces, not interior from exterior, right?

I didn't mean to say my walls. I meant when I go to Olive Garden or something.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mordecai
fastclad_case_bloor3.jpg

?

No. Not at all.

They had Opus Reticulatum, etc.; we have veneer, etc. Nothing "dishonest" about either.

tekopusreticulatum.jpg

4751522539_b58b9b70e6.jpg

But this thread sure is all over the place....
confused.gif

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't mean to say my walls. I meant when I go to Olive Garden or something.

So you mean you actually like Fake Italianate???
laugh.gif

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by venessian
No. Not at all.

They had Opus Reticulatum, etc.; we have veneer, etc. Nothing "dishonest" about either.

But this thread sure is all over the place....
confused.gif

i don't really see a valid comparison there, but need to bone up on my vitruvius. which one of his ten books was about faux-siding?

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mordecai
i don't really see a valid comparison there, but need to bone up on my vitruvius. which one of his ten books was about faux-siding?

Oops, is your pic of faux brick? I thought it was of (real) brick veneer. Different animal then.

arced

Reaction score
I was thinking this thread would die, but since it hasn't, I've decided to confess.

I live in a McMansion. There, I said it. I'd post a picture to prove it, but it looks like every other one, so what's the point. It's a house on steroids with those weird, stupid details such as those silly brass outdoor sconces (I know someone here knows the correct word) tacked on the side, the fake muntined windows (thanks for the new vocabulary!), fake Candyland shutters, etc. It's an impressive house, in that it's constantly trying to impress the casual viewer (large scale, granite in the kitchen, hardwood floors, etc.). Maybe the best adjective might be simply "more". The house seems designed by a committee. Everything is a safe choice of options that have supposedly worked for others. The layout works, but especially when I'm driving around and seeing dozens of other examples of the same house, I feel like I've achieved the (generic) "American Dream." That said, my kids like it. It's easy to live in.

Nonetheless, it's lost probably a third of its "value" since it was built six years ago. Plus, it's prematurely aging and parts of it seem kinda run-down already. I can't imagine this house lasting another 80 years (especially since it was built on backfill on wetlands and the foundation has already sunk enough to put in a couple cracks).

So happy were renting. I feel sorry for my landlord whose trying to sell it (and it probably underwater). I have trouble imagining the future of this house. The McMansion's greatest appeal seems to be when new. Does anyone know how they're performing on the market?

Overall, it's a weird experience. We'll be moving out soon (after about a year). It is easy to live in, but we'd never want to own it. It's too much, it's cheaply built, and it's not us. I feel I'm living in a Kenneth Cole house. I constantly have the urge to apologize for the house because most people are very impressed by the house. I do feel like I'm living in the setting of the American Dream, and it's off-putting. Still, we've learned a lot living here. It's our first time living in a house built in this century. The higher ceilings and big windows (even if fake muntined) make for a pleasant living environment. We'll look for that if we ever buy.

Should this be in the DT confessions thread? Anyone else want to confess? There's got to be others.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads