• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Glad I did a little search first, found these two links helpful (posted by @dieworkwear) I believe:

Where to Buy Good Pants (Part One)

Where to Buy Good Pants (Part Two)

I have been thinking about this for a very long time and I'm going to make this year where I find myself some well fitting pants. More so, I want to find one line in particular that I can rely on similar to how Kamakura is my go to for shirts at the moment. Hopefully I can find some trousers that fit me well OTR and make adjustments as need with alterations.

Howard Yount and Panta are my favorites on that list. I haven't tried Rota, but they also sound really good. I think NMWA does a MTO option sometimes on that, which is a nice plus.

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm going to give HY another try; didn't see much at Panta but it looks promising.

I really want to try Rota but I can only go MTO because I prefer zipper fly. Will still give them a whirl once stock is available again.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I got some good advice here on dressing gowns last summer, so wanted to ask again. I'm looking to get a silk gown to accompany the flannel one I just had made. Anyone have an opinion on which fabric looks better?

(Also, paging @gdl203, @unbelragazzo, and @Sotiris, cause they weighed in last time with some good advice)

E TF

Reaction score
+1. The first one. I have something similar in a light cotton for the warmer months.

Are you happy with the flannel one in the end? Did you go lined or unlined?

Sotiris

Reaction score
The first. By a huge margin.

lukejackson

Reaction score
I like the first one, but if you have a darker complexion the second one would be a nice GTH option.

I think the first one is Derek Rose right?

I actually like this one:

http://www.derek-rose.com/nightwear...ssing-gowns/lingfield-blue-dressing-gown.html. Feels nice and summery; for some reason I always think more about wearing one in the morning if it is summer.

I kind of like their old school pyjamas too.

I can just picture myself slipping into them after work, sitting in the study with the day's paper or perhaps a periodical, prince albert slippers on, a cockerspaniel at my feet, taking intermittent puffs from my pipe. "Marjorie dear, be a doll would you and fix me another drink".

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I was leaning towards the first as well, but wanted to get some second opinions.

@lukejackson, yes the first is from Derek Rose. I was thinking of having something similar made through my tailor, so the photo will be more of a guideline. I like the contrast in pattern between the body and the lapels.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like the first one too, and in fact bought a similar one in eBay that was on one of the pti eBay posts and it was also recently pictured in your blog post about robes. The only unfortunate thing is that it's actually a mislabled women's robe (notice the right over left crossover), but it's large enough that I just kept it.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I like the first one too, and in fact bought a similar one in eBay that was on one of the pti eBay posts and it was also recently pictured in your blog post about robes. The only unfortunate thing is that it's actually a mislabled women's robe (notice the right over left crossover), but it's large enough that I just kept it.

I really like that fabric design. If I can find something like that, I'd happy take it over a dotted navy silk.

jmeb

Reaction score
Glad I did a little search first, found these two links helpful (posted by @dieworkwear ) I believe:

Where to Buy Good Pants (Part One)

Where to Buy Good Pants (Part Two)

I have been thinking about this for a very long time and I'm going to make this year where I find myself some well fitting pants. More so, I want to find one line in particular that I can rely on similar to how Kamakura is my go to for shirts at the moment. Hopefully I can find some trousers that fit me well OTR and make adjustments as need with alterations.

Thanks for this.

I just learned the hard way that Bonobos is not a place to buy pants from, even on sale. Ordered 2 pairs of "European Milled Wool" Dress pants, one in light grey flannel, the other in olive tweed.

1. Light grey flannels did not arrive in the box, though they were on the packing label. No notification ahead of time, sold out now, no (similar) pants to replace them at the price point I paid.
2. Olive Grey flannels were per the tag: 70% Wool, 25% Cotton, 5% Cashmere. The CS rep suggested that the 25% Cotton was the pocket linings. I've never, ever seen a pant marked as such.
3. Both were listed as "unfinished" on their site, but the ones that did arrive were pre-hemmed. The CS rep suggested that they were "prepared for alteration" and that is what unfinished meant.

Am I crazy or are both of these excuses bullocks? I've bought unfinished pants from Lands End before...and they were unfinished. I've got a number of thrifted pants that have tags that claim 100% wool.

EDIT: Bonobos is trying to make right, constrained by the fact I was trying to beef up my winter wools, and they now don't have the stock. The olive grey flannels are 1/4th cotton -- apparently website issues didn't allow them to change details of different pant colors fabrics.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads