• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You take your pants completely off when you sit on the toilet? That's like two different Seinfeld episodes merged into one.

Or a single episode of Scrubs.

To avoid said stress, I always bring a cedar hanger, lasted trees, pedicure sandals, and a cashmere tie-bag for my Brescianis each time I take a dump. Really takes the hassle out of ********.

It's also important to remember - for those public rest rooms you visit regularly - to have a hidden compartment in the door with a complete spare change of clothes (a la Barney from HIMYM) just in case anything happens.

Wait - what do you do with your tie?

Obviously he means a custom cedar hanger with a tie hook on it.

Racing Green

Reaction score

I believe McCoy wears New & Lingwood shoes in that book.

He does indeed. Wolfe's attention to detail with the clothing descriptions is spot on.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Threw away $105 at the tailor this weekend and feeling frustrated / lost. Cannot help but feel partially responsible as the decision was mine.

There's like no real great tailor/alteration shop in the East Bay. Both pair of trousers seem to come out fine, jacket I will be tossing.

I am just glad I am still experimenting with tailor clothes using relatively inexpensive items. I will not be jumping into anything nicer at the moment i.e. affiliate stores as much as I do want to.

/rant :brick::censored:

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What's the deal with the men's turtleneck? I have always liked a proper cashmere (non cable knit) turtleneck, but it is incredibly hard to find them. Generally these days they are only for women, or they are ugly mock necks made out of cotton. I kind of like the idea of the black turtleneck for the fall for a very Velvet Underground look. Any thoughts?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What's the deal with the men's turtleneck? I have always liked a proper cashmere (non cable knit) turtleneck, but it is incredibly hard to find them. Generally these days they are only for women, or they are ugly mock necks made out of cotton. I kind of like the idea of the black turtleneck for the fall for a very Velvet Underground look. Any thoughts?

William Lockie does nice cashmere turtlenecks, available via their Heather Wallace retail website. I bought one in the Linen colourway last year and have been very happy with it. Very reasonably priced for a nice cashmere jumper too. IIRC, I got a 40, which fits kind of like a slim 37 or traditional 36 (their sizes refer to the actual chest circumference of the jumper, not that of the wearer, I believe). The website currently suggests they only run from 42" upwards, but I think it said that last year too and when I contacted them, they had a 40 available, so...

They feel soft but durable, having some heft to them.

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you mean the proper roll neck kind? (A google image search for turtleneck shows both roll necks and the mock, no roll type.) If so, Smedley probably has what you're looking for.

20 years ago I sometimes wore that type of finely knitted roll neck (charcoal w/ a navy SC - Pringle made a good one then), but nowadays I prefer a chunkier knit (I have a navy Submariner from Northsea clothing). It's probably more casual than what you have in mind, though.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I think a lot of guys look really good in a roll neck and sport coat. A happy medium between winter vacation Italian magnate and James Bond villain. However, I think you need to have the right body type to make it work. I've noticed taller, skinnier guys are best suited for this, with a jacket of considerable drape and a tighter-fitting sweater (a longer neck helps, too, obviously). Larger (or even more athletic-build) guys seem to always look like they are being stuffed into a sausage casing. Just something to consider.

Per selection, I owned a Loro Piana navy cashmere roll neck that was very nice. Unfortunately I usually "run hot," so a two-ply cashmere sweater that comes up to the neck was a recipe for disaster for me. I sold it to someone here. However, I think they are really nice and would endorse LP. I see that Brooks has an offering (not sure of fit, but I assume that the cashmere is Todd & Duncan, so likely decent). Shop The Finest also has some.

Last edited:

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a black/dark charcoal BB cashmere turtle neck sweater in the back of my closet somewhere. I've been thinking of taking it out when it gets cold. It's not super fitted if I remember, but is fine under a jacket. I think I'm in the market for a chunkier turtle neck. Maybe Irish knit fisherman's. My problem with heavy sweaters in general is that they are way too hot in most in-doors places and I don't really spend a lot of time hanging about outside in the winter. Maybe good for skiing.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm kind of worried about the physique thing. I have love handles the size of basketballs left over from when I was a *****. I might look bad without a jacket...

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't believe this turtleneck conversation has gone on this long without an Archer reference.

tumblr_locpisc7Ri1qikhz3o1_500.gif

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads