• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was on the Internet last night when someone posted a photo of some fair isle socks with a pair of crocodile loafers. Another fellow came along and gave the guy hell for the sock/loafer combination. I'm thinking one or both might be a style forum participant. In any event, I copied the photo with the thought that I'll ask the pros! Anyone care to comment?

Maybe not ideal, but I like it. I usually wear solid socks, or with more subtle patterns, but this Fair Isle one works here, as crocodile and alligator are more casual, in my opinion, to answer a comment above.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not a combo I'd wear. I'm not a patterned sock wearer so that might affect (effect?) my judgement. Now I'm thinking maybe I should have some crocodile loafers.
The fellow objecting was talking about the thicker socks with what he thought of as light loafers. But I do agree with DorianGreen when he says casual socks casual loafers.

Ultimately I like the loafers in that style. I also like the socks but perhaps not together with the shoes. I think what caught my attention was the socks as I have a pair -- almost the same -- I wear with boots.

Thanks for the feedback Smittycl, Old Red, & DorianGreen.

DorianGreen, I used to to think of myself as Dorian Gray, but lately I'm Dorian Graying. ;) Getting old sucks, especially in the health department. Keeps me away from the nice company here at Style Forum.

Last edited:

barutanseijin

Reaction score
Not a combo I'd wear. I'm not a patterned sock wearer so that might affect (effect?) my judgement. Now I'm thinking maybe I should have some crocodile loafers.

You have it right; effect is a noun and affect is a verb.

That combo might raise my eyebrows at a party. I would not say anything unless asked. I’d just ignore it online.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was on the Internet last night when someone posted a photo of some fair isle socks with a pair of crocodile loafers. Anyone care to comment?

Ugly a.f. in my opinion. 🤦🏻‍♂️
$1100 for a tie? Oy!

Some people have way more money than they need. 🤷🏻‍♂️

LJ1891

Reaction score
Was on the Internet last night when someone posted a photo of some fair isle socks with a pair of crocodile loafers. Another fellow came along and gave the guy hell for the sock/loafer combination. I'm thinking one or both might be a style forum participant. In any event, I copied the photo with the thought that I'll ask the pros! Anyone care to comment?
I would wear this combo 100%. Loafers are casual in nature and lend themselves to these kind of pairings.

🤦🏾‍♂️ I just realized I NEED a pair of crocodile loafers.

1704541036438.gif

Last edited:

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

These are a fairly tepid fair isle in the cosmic scheme of things. It it is a bit tough to assess with just what is shown - the loafers and charcoal trousers read sophisticated, the socks are a little country. If up top there is some navy cashmere DB sport coat with gold buttons, the socks might look a little unsophisticated compared to the rest of the rig.

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sasseti makes lots of stuff to various level though

Their own label shoes don’t seem that amazing, funny enough.

Years ago, somebody posted the difference between a Sassetti wingtip, and an RL x Sasseti wingtip.

It was the exact same model across both brands, but the RL had much higher levels of finishing.

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
Culture clash maybe.
Fair Isles strike an Englishy tone. Crocs bang out Vegas. Why can't we all just get along. Below, a personal pairing. The loafs from Trask, the socks from David Wood, a prep shop here in Maine.

20240106_165841-01.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics