• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maurizio Amadei's latest stuff?

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rome
Clothes can only say so much about a person, which really isn't that much. The Cognoscenti hype that goes into some of this clothing for art's sake plays on this conception. You know, because it's not just clothes, "it's a movement". The actualization of external expression can only be adequately represented by a broach made from obscure sources pinned to the chest of an expensive laser-cut, overlock stitched, and reversible cut-off baby tee.

With the advent of internet fashion forums which are active, thriving and have thousands of members this only gets worse and perpetuates itself because within these communities/"movements" the thought process is so rigid and elitist that it gives many a much need boost their cyber confidence (which I can't wait to see what Sociology-Psych classes teach in 20 years about the relationship between one's online and real life persona).

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rome
It was aimed at dressing strictly in that fashion, in those brands. This is not to say that by virtue of such interest you can only be the type of person who wishes they had something more to say. Clothes can only say so much about a person, which really isn't that much. The Cognoscenti hype that goes into some of this clothing for art's sake plays on this conception. You know, because it's not just clothes, "it's a movement". The actualization of external expression can only be adequately represented by a broach made from obscure sources pinned to the chest of an expensive laser-cut, overlock stitched, and reversible cut-off baby tee.

Seems to me like you're succombing to basic anti-intellectualism by painting people interested in "artsy" or "intellectual" design as pompous imbeciles. Honestly not all brands are equal and there is truly some quality and vision to be found in makers like "CDiem and the happy bunch" or whatever you want to call this particular movement that isn't present among most designers.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
With the advent of internet fashion forums which are active, thriving and have thousands of members this only gets worse and perpetuates itself because within these communities/"movements" the thought process is so rigid and elitist that it gives many a much need boost their cyber confidence (which I can't wait to see what Sociology-Psych classes teach in 20 years about the relationship between one's online and real life persona).

That would indeed be interesting, although a few posters, like myself, do meet some of the people they interract with online on a regular basis which could probably cause some different kind of affectation that would surely be as interesting as purely "online" persona.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
That would indeed be interesting, although a few posters, like myself, do meet some of the people they interract with online on a regular basis which could probably cause some different kind of affectation that would surely be as interesting as purely "online" persona.

Yeah, ditto. I know or have met a lot of members in person, and have talked with a even larger number on the phone, which is less remote than the internet. I think that these classes will probably be offered sooner rather than later. I could even see a whole new field of inquiry developing.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems to me like you're succombing to basic anti-intellectualism by painting people interested in "artsy" or "intellectual" design as pompous imbeciles. Honestly not all brands are equal and there is truly some quality and vision to be found in makers like "CDiem and the happy bunch" or whatever you want to call this particular movement that isn't present among most designers.

Regardless of whether or not "the Happy Bunch" have some unique vision (and I think they do, though they are over-represented intellectually,) I think that there are proportionally more annoying, pretentious types drawn to the designs than are drawn to some designers with less lofty visions.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score

Originally Posted by LA Guy
Yeah, ditto. I know or have met a lot of members in person, and have talked with a even larger number on the phone, which is less remote than the internet. I think that these classes will probably be offered sooner rather than later. I could even see a whole new field of inquiry developing.

I'm gay...we paved the way to meeting people online (or in the bushes, or in bathroom stalls). But, yes I know there are more and more people who meet online. I've met a few men.style.com forumers and it's funny to me (being gay) and them (being straight) that they are comfortable telling people that "we met online." I always go into the situation setting up a gameplan of if someone asks "Oh we met through a friend" or "through the random course of life events."

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Regardless of whether or not "the Happy Bunch" have some unique vision (and I think they do, though they are over-represented intellectually,) I think that there are proportionally more annoying, pretentious types drawn to the designs than are drawn to some designers with less lofty visions.

That's a very stodgy and elitist point of view, and I agree with you completely.

I'm gay...we paved the way to meeting people online (or in the bushes, or in bathroom stalls). But, yes I know there are more and more people who meet online. I've met a few men.style.com forumers and it's funny to me (being gay) and them (being straight) that they are comfortable telling people that "we met online." I always go into the situation setting up a gameplan of if someone asks "Oh we met through a friend" or "through the random course of life events."

Very interesting. A culture has come up behind your back. I'm sure it's surprising for you. I have no problem saying "I met <whoever> online", but I still don't meet girls to date online, and if I did I probably wouldn't say that. I'd dodge it like you said... "Meet through a friend," etc.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
That's a very stodgy and elitist point of view, and I agree with you completely.

smile.gif
Actually, more an observation than a point of view, albeit likely to be somewhat colored by prejudice.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm the same as Brian. I've never felt funny saying that I met someone online, or even that we met on a fashion forum. However, although many of my friends met women (or men) online, I never could shake my feeling that is was a bit pathetic. I'm not sure why there is a difference, but I suspect that it is because in the former case, the meeting is incidental - I am interested in clothing, running, marsupials, whatever, and meet people in the course of pursuing a hobby - whereas the latter is for the express purpose of meeting another human being.

xcoldricex

Reaction score
that lazer cut jacket was most likely designed by amadei - who supposedly designed of most of the leathers in the linea collection... hence the similarity.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you say you met online (especially girls to date), I find that most poeple find it kind of strange. However I think that more and more people are doing it and it wont be so strange in the future. Ive talked to a couple of forum members on the phone and regularly talk to some on AIM. However if I were to tell most poeple I know this, they would find it very strange.

xcoldricex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
That Linea laser-cut jacket is ******* awesome. How much is it?
retailed for something like $6k. it's several years old and very difficult to find.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The superb French leather firm, Jean-Claude Jitrois, also had a few laser-cut leather jackets a few seasons ago. Of course, the price is not going to be any cheaper nor are they going to be any easier to find. This coat is rather fantastic, somewhat reminds me of old Raf Simons. Alternatively, the simple cut has a Cristobal Balenciaga line to it, but the oversized model ruins it.
06-1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads