• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Matching nonblue ties to lavender shirts

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What ties do you match to lavender and light purple shirts? Blue looks very good, but becomes boring very fast. I understand lavender is not the easiest to match unless you want to just put on a dark purple tie (no), so was hoping for ideas or photos.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
grey glen plaid

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
What ties do you match to lavender and light purple shirts? Blue looks very good, but becomes boring very fast. I understand lavender is not the easiest to match unless you want to just put on a dark purple tie (no), so was hoping for ideas or photos.

I dont really see the Blue conection but since you do lets leave it at that.

Personally prefer Greys and that family, (Grey, Charcoals, Blacks etc.)

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is one of the only times a charcoal grey tie looks nice. Black grenadine is always an option too. Please don't wear a dark purple tie with a lavender shirt.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jonathan, that's very interesting as lavender shirts never came up in a previous thread regarding grey and silver ties; all I got was that the latter ties were very difficult to pair.

I'll try grey and green. Photos would be appreciated.

I mentioned blue because I happen to have a Carlo Franco dark navy pin dot where the little twist is that the pin dots are lavender. They go great with a lavender shirt and it still looks very formal.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear lavender shirts quite frequently. I think it is hard to say exactly what to wear without haviing an idea as to the colour of the suit or sportjacket.

What about a plum tie, rather than a grape purple? RLPL has a really nice one this season that I think would go well.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a line (regarding blue) I've seen rather often on this forum, so you might wear out your fist.

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FIHTies
I dont really see the Blue conection but since you do lets leave it at that.

I think Blue works.
sf3.jpg

Otherwise, I throw on some sort of charcoal, grey or brown wool tie in the winter, and a dark orange tie with my purp shirts in the summer.

Here's a very old camphone pic -
9fe451bf.jpg

You should hit Pink's website, which has a nifty shirt+tie mix n match program.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll echo greens, greys/black and yellow/gold.

I don't see what's wrong with using a plum/mauve/purple with lavender either. esp. with a nice pattern - my one caveat is you need to stop it looking too matchy. There has to be enough contrast between shirt and tie.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heh, I've seen a lot of people wearing very matchy lavender shirts and purple ties; once I saw a suit with lavender lining to complete the look.

By the way, I was hoping to discuss lavender or light purple, which I think goes well with dark navy. As shown, however, purple and a lighter shade of blue go well too.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am always worried of looking like this when wearing green and purple:
464px-joker-ritz.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads