• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

~**Marketing/Advertising**~ Discussion Thread

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got a new job!

It's pure lead generation. All manner if direct marketing will be available to me, be it online or offline. I'll also handle affiliates. I got AdWords certification just before it. Getting it wasn't hard at all, but I feel it made a difference in getting a call back. Best of all, it seems to be a good company to work for. I've worked for companies that had so much drama and so many strange characters that I dont even really talk about because people would assume I'm exaggerating.

Only bad part is that for the first few months I won't have anyone working for me, which is really going to slow things down.

boso

Reaction score
Super excited that I found this thread!

I'm pursuing a journalism degree with an advertising emphasis and want to break into the creative side as a copywriter. I'm currently a junior and have ~3 semesters left. This semester I'm starting classes to start working on my porfolio and then some creative writing/art classes on the side. I've spent the past few years working for my school's newspaper, interned at a local magazine, worked as a copywriter with my schools advertising competition team and I'm doing a study/internship abroad this summer through my school.

I know the copywriting job market is pretty competitive but I really enjoy the work and have been reading anything advertising related I can get my hands on. Any advice from those of you working in the field?

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Super excited that I found this thread!

I'm pursuing a journalism degree with an advertising emphasis and want to break into the creative side as a copywriter.  I'm currently a junior and have ~3 semesters left.  This semester I'm starting classes to start working on my porfolio and then some creative writing/art classes on the side.  I've spent the past few years working for my school's newspaper, interned at a local magazine, worked as a copywriter with my schools advertising competition team and I'm doing a study/internship abroad this summer through my school.  

I know the copywriting job market is pretty competitive but I really enjoy the work and have been reading anything advertising related I can get my hands on.  Any advice from those of you working in the field? 

Writing is based on rules so much more than I had ever imagined as a student. Buy every single book by David Ogilvy and read all of them. Also, to be the best writer for this, you need to start off in direct marketing where everything is measured.

Is headline 1 better than headline 2? You can spend hours debating your opinion on headline 1 Vs headline 2. And it's just a waste of your time. The test results trump all. It really changes the way you think of how valuable being "creative" is, whatever that means.

If you want practical career advice then get 2 internships before graduation in anything marketing related. Don't be picky. As an intern you can likely take on writing projects if you push for it, and highlight that in your resume. You really have to have a work history though. Landing the first post-grad job will likely be the hardest job to land in your career if you stick with marketing.

boso

Reaction score
I own and have read "Ogilvy on Advertising," along with "Hey, Whipple, Squeeze This," "How to put your book together and get a job in advertising," and any issue of CA I can get my hands on. I've been doing spec work and working on my portfolio all semester and to be honest, I haven't been happy with all of my stuff. I've noticed that my ads have been better and more well-received the more I make though so I'm definitely getting a lot better. I was able to intern at a large firm this summer with my study abroad and am going to start looking for internships for this summer soon.

Where are all of you guys located/working at? I would love to make it to New York, Boston, or SF after school.

rosslovethreads

Reaction score
Hey guys, pretty excited to have found this thread and that it was recently resurrected.

You all seem well educated and much more seasoned than me. I've been working in the professional for about 7 months now.

I handle almost all of my companies marketing and advertising. So i wear many hats.

I design our emails from scratch. Send them all out. Maintain all social media accounts. Cast vision for advertising, commercials, print ads, mission, etc. I also typically play a large role in executing all vision cast.

I've gotta say. Its way way more difficult than I would have ever imagined.

Oh, I didn't go to school for this... so yeah.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads