• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Manny Ramirez traded by Red Sox to Dodgers

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I hope Manny completely screws up the chemistry in the Dodgers clubhouse.

Go D-Backs!!!!

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually it would've been smarter for the red sox to add Bonds. That line up would've been sick. Instead they break up a very good 3-4. I suppose Boston feels winning 2 WS in a decade after 100 years is enough. The Mets couldve used Manny too, I think their manager couldve handled him well, after all he is a "gangsta" Actually, the Mets did nothing.​

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Darn you Manny
frown.gif

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Maybe they get better by subtraction but on paper at least they just got weaker and open themselves up to more aggressive pitching.

If this weekend was any indication of things I think you are in fact looking at it backwards. They got weaker on paper, but the chemistry has improved.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTGuy
If this weekend was any indication of things I think you are in fact looking at it backwards. They got weaker on paper, but the chemistry has improved.

Paper is meaningless. In the bottom of the 9th, go ahead run aboard, I'd rather have Manny at the plate than any other player in baseball.

105e.jpg

I'll miss the guy..

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BigHandMan
Hmmmm.

I think an athlete like Tiger Woods is compelling. There's something about the story, the humility, the talent put to good use, the drive for perfection, etc.

I think Manny is... well... interesting. "Interesting" in the sense that train wrecks are "interesting" and not much more than that. Petulance and arrogance are a rough combination. They make make for good theater, but not much more than that.

You're missing the point. It's his talent that makes him compelling. Nobody's saying he's the Dalai Lama. He's compelling as a baseball player to baseball fans. If you're not a baseball fan then sure, he's not compelling. Kobe Bryant is petulant and arrogant, but it's hard to argue that he's not a compelling story as a basketball player.
Originally Posted by breakz
But you got a bargain in Jason Bay. $7.5 million next year for the numbers he puts up? He's practically a replacement for Manny--one that fields better and can steal too.
Bay's an excellent player. Manny's an absolute game-changer and gameplan changer. He's one of the most dangerous hitters -- and one of the most dangerous clutch hitters -- in baseball. Period. It's entirely possible that the Sox are better off with Bay (especially given the finances) than with Manny, but Bay doesn't come close to being a "replacement" for Ramirez.

BigHandMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
You're missing the point. It's his talent that makes him compelling. Nobody's saying he's the Dalai Lama. He's compelling as a baseball player to baseball fans. If you're not a baseball fan then sure, he's not compelling. Kobe Bryant is petulant and arrogant, but it's hard to argue that he's not a compelling story as a basketball player.

Interesting. Had not looked at it that way. I'm not a huge baseball fan and this could by why I just don't like the guy... nor find him compelling.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Bay's an excellent player. Manny's an absolute game-changer and gameplan changer. He's one of the most dangerous hitters -- and one of the most dangerous clutch hitters -- in baseball. Period. It's entirely possible that the Sox are better off with Bay (especially given the finances) than with Manny, but Bay doesn't come close to being a "replacement" for Ramirez.

I agree with everything you've said as well as what Brian said. I am a huge Manny fan. Hell, I am pissed I am going to probably not be able to wear my Manny jersey to games and more!

However, the point is the sox are NOT replacing Manny with Bay. They are taking the 13 mil + that they would have spent to keep Manny and they will use it to hold on to, trade for and cultivate the Pedroias and the Youklises of the world.

I will miss Manny and I am jealous of the fans who get to watch him nightly now. Unfortunately, his time had come as it does with a lot of players.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not that surprising. The Red Sox have wanted to get rid of Manny, his big salary, and his attitude for quite awhile. Nobody remembers that they put him on waivers in 2004, like an old couch left on the sidewalk. No one picked him up, and he went on to become the MVP of the World Series.

style from the heartland

Reaction score
In Manny's mind, he is playing for a 3 - 4 YR., $ 80-100 MM contract. Under this circumstance, he offers plenty of value for his 50 games in a Dodger uniform. The parties' interests are aligned in LA. Should make for an interesting run for Dodger fans.

Hawkeye

Reaction score
Originally Posted by briancl
Paper is meaningless. In the bottom of the 9th, go ahead run aboard, I'd rather have David Ortiz at the plate than any other player in baseball.

Fixed

I love Manny and will miss him a lot, its too bad it had to go down this way, but the trade had to be made, and I think Theo made a pretty damn good one at that. Manny quit the team, made the clubhouse uncomfortable, he had to go.

Good pitching wins anyway. I'd rather have Josh Beckett in a playoff game than Manny any day of the week.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hawkeye
Fixed

I love Manny and will miss him a lot, its too bad it had to go down this way, but the trade had to be made, and I think Theo made a pretty damn good one at that. Manny quit the team, made the clubhouse uncomfortable, he had to go.

Good pitching wins anyway. I'd rather have Josh Beckett in a playoff game than Manny any day of the week.

Truth. And I'd also rather see the Sox hang on to some of the younger pitchers like Masterson, Lester and Buchholz (despite his choke last night).

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garrendavid777