• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maker of these BB Peal shoes? Unusual heel...

PMaximus

Reaction score
Can any of the pros in this forum identify who makes this Peal shoe? I cannot find it anywhere... Thanks guys!

PMaximus

Reaction score
Thanks for the fast reply! How would you rank Loake, C&J and AS as far as quality is concerned?

PMaximus

Reaction score
Oh, so even though they are Peal shoes, the Loake Peals are below C&J and AS? If so, would you rate AS Peals below or above C&J Peals? Thanks for you insight...

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If so, would you rate AS Peals below or above C&J Peals?

Both are really nice and roughly equivalent in quality IMO. The C&Js are equivalent to their Handgrade line. The Sargents have channeled soles so they probably would get my vote. Close call though. I have 2 pair of AS and 7 of C&J and they are both fantastic manufacturers.

PMaximus

Reaction score
Okay, so BB Peal shoes made by Loake are probably lesser quality than the C&J and AS made models? Just want to be clear on it.. sorry to sound like a broken record :)

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Both are really nice and roughly equivalent in quality IMO. The C&Js are equivalent to their Handgrade line. The Sargents have channeled soles so they probably would get my vote. Close call though. I have 2 pair of AS and 7 of C&J and they are both fantastic manufacturers.

Hello?

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the fast reply!  How would you rank Loake, C&J and AS as far as quality is concerned?

Below. I'd put loake at above Allen Edmonds, but not by much. C&J and AS are remarkable shoes.

Okay, so BB Peal shoes made by Loake are probably lesser quality than the C&J and AS made models?  Just want to be clear on it.. sorry to sound like a broken record :)

Yes, as stated above, Loake aren't as good as shoes made by Crockett & Jones and Alfred Sargent.

That's not to say that Loake are bad - their 1880 line are decent - but they're not great so make sure that you're not paying too much for them. Have a look at pricing on Loake's own website or on Pediwear or other online merchants for comparison (and remember to subtract value-added-tax (VAT) when comparing pricing with the US, too).

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some C&Js from BB with closed-channeled soles, so it isn't just Alfred Sargent. I'm not sure I would say that the C&Js are ewuivalent to the handgrade line. The pricing of Peal C&Js is on par with their benchgrade line. I find it unlikely that you would be able to get a handgrade shoe (at least $200 more) for the benchgrade price.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have some C&Js from BB with closed-channeled soles, so it isn't just Alfred Sargent. I'm not sure I would say that the C&Js are ewuivalent to the handgrade line. The pricing of Peal C&Js is on par with their benchgrade line. I find it unlikely that you would be able to get a handgrade shoe (at least $200 more) for the benchgrade price.

Absolutely right!!! I just mis-typed. I should have said Benchgrade. C&J Peals are equivalent to benchgrade. My bad.

I haven't seen C&J Peals with channeled soles though, are they more in line with handgrade? Even the C&Js they currently have listed for $648 don't have channeled soles like this one for example:
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Peal-...var_MH00234_Color=DKRD&contentpos=4&cgid=0522
The Sargents do: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Peal-...dwvar_049H_Color=BLCK&contentpos=24&cgid=0522

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely right!!! I just mis-typed. I should have said Benchgrade. C&J Peals are equivalent to benchgrade. My bad.

I haven't seen C&J Peals with channeled soles though, are they more in line with handgrade? Even the C&Js they currently have listed for $648 don't have channeled soles like this one for example:
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Peal-...var_MH00234_Color=DKRD&contentpos=4&cgid=0522
The Sargents do: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Peal-...dwvar_049H_Color=BLCK&contentpos=24&cgid=0522
These have a closed-channeled sole: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Peal-...t,pd.html?dwvar_276H_Color=BROW&contentpos=27
They feel like the same quality as the benchgrade, just with the bonus of the closed channel.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
The Loake shoes are garbage. I bought a pair by mailorder, and they went back to Brooks. They are well below the regular Peal shoes made by C & J and AS. You are better-off with Allen Edmonds.

The remainder of the Peal line is so-so. I don't feel that the leathers are not good. The leathers are too tough and unforgiving. I purchased a Peal shoe made by C & J in the summer, and it failed to "give" after wear. They are unwearable.

I feel that the Peal line has been diminshed. An example of this is the Loake shoe. The quality has gone down because Brooks does not want to price them "out of the market." Therefore, a poorer quality of leather is being used. Peals are nowhere near the quality of C & J Handgrade line. You are better-off buying C & J and AS than Peals.

I used to buy Peals going back 20 years or so. But I am no longer a customer.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These have a closed-channeled sole: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Peal-...t,pd.html?dwvar_276H_Color=BROW&contentpos=27
They feel like the same quality as the benchgrade, just with the bonus of the closed channel.

Those are basically the Malvern, right, but in a custom color and closed channeled sole?
http://www.crockettandjones.com/Product/Malvern-Chestnut#.UYpOpbWTjng

Interesting that they used it on that but not the higher priced double monk. The dub monk doesn't appear to be in C&Js catalog since it's a different last than the 348 that the Lowndes is on. I'm curious why they wouldn't use it. Probably just added cost I assume since it looks like they are pricing new C&J models at $648 now.
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Peal-...var_MH00231_Color=BLCK&contentpos=3&cgid=0522

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads