• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mac Mini as Media Centre?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
I just wanted to congratulate Tokyo Slim for his dispassionate and well-reasoned response to the question.
Out of all the desktop or home computers that Apple has built since Jobs took over, I think the Mini is pretty much the only one I think is actually reasonably priced for its performance. (I'd still say it was about $100 too much, but its the closest that Apple's ever gotten, so I'll let it slide) It is also a fairly useful form factor and while not exactly super-innovative, it was at the time, the only computer on the market that small. (I used to work for a company that made its name selling computers that were about the size of a brick.) I still think it would look better in black, since all electronics should be black. But whatever. I've heard a rumor that Steve Jobs is having pretty severe health problems right now and is going to be stepping down soon. It will be interesting to see how the company handles it.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a HTPC now as well. Would have gone for the mac mini a year ago but I'm leaning towards a PS3 now.

thoughts?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
I'm in the market for a HTPC now as well. Would have gone for the mac mini a year ago but I'm leaning towards a PS3 now.

thoughts?

What kind of HTPC stuff do you want to do? I have a PS3, and it's basically a Blu Ray player for me, and it's very good at that, possibly still the best available until the Oppo ships. You can stream videos and pictures from a PC server with it as well as rent and buy stuff from the Sony online store, but I never do those things. I don't think it can do Tivo-like functions.

--Andre

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
What kind of HTPC stuff do you want to do? I have a PS3, and it's basically a Blu Ray player for me, and it's very good at that, possibly still the best available until the Oppo ships. You can stream videos and pictures from a PC server with it as well as rent and buy stuff from the Sony online store, but I never do those things. I don't think it can do Tivo-like functions. --Andre
I mainly want to stream mp3s off a server and play dvds/bluray. Streaming Netradio would be good too. TiVo like functions might be good too. I will probably just the Dish Networks DVR though, unless there is a compelling reason to use an HTPC for this.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can stream MP3s off a Windows computer, but I've never tried Internet radio stations on the PS3. Probably a Google search would tell you more about that.

I built my own HTPC for DVR functions, but that's because I wanted to record 6 channels at a time, and I only watch regular cable and OTA HD. With the Dish DVR, you can record their HD channels in full fidelity, so if you watch a lot of that, you should probably stick with that.

--Andre

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads