• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Despite what I said regarding yarn technicalities, the vast majority of my own odd trousers are actually non-worsted and a smaller majority isn't even wool. Most of my winter stuff is either flannel or cotton cord, though I do have a donegal pair which I'm pretty certain is worsted. In summer, most are cotton or linen. I just think they tend to look nicer. In fact, the only worsted wool odd pair I have for summer are a lightweight charcoal pair and that's compensated for by having a faint plaid check to it to add some interest. And that one's a smooth, plain weave rather than anything textured.

I think - various worsted tweeds/donegals/etc aside  - there are few worsted wool trousers most people would want or need, for winter at least, esp. when you add in the fact that most odd trousers are naturally solid colour rather than patterned. And many of those tweeds/etc you might want as a suit rather than just odd trousers. There's more utility for summer lightweight worsteds I think, if you need a slightly more formal wardrobe than linen/cottons would lend themselves too, but there I'd pick plain weaves rather something particularly textured anyway.

YMMV, of course.

I mostly agree with this. Outside of summer, I am probably wearing some sort of grey flannel trouser most of the time I am not in a suit, with the occasional cotton moleskin, corduroy or perhaps tan wool cavalry twill (I believe these may be worsteds, though). Generally, most worsteds are not things I would want as odd trousers.

In summer, lightweight wool is needed for situations where cotton and linen are too casual. Either a tropical weight wool or some sort of open-weave wool (e.g. Fresco) will do nicely.

I generally agree with all of this as well, but I do think some of the textured worsted options on Luxire's site look like they would make good odd trousers, specifically the Dugdale hopsacks and herringbones. I know mid grey flannel is typically the odd trouser of choice for just about any situation, but I like trying to find new ways to break up the monotony now and again.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First shirt ordered, classic blue OCBD. Any comments on the stock BD collars? Are they Ivy-esque (nice roll, longer than normal)?

NeedForTweed123

Reaction score
This goes back to the convo that Holdfast and I were just having. Why exactly would you not want any worsted odd trousers? I'm now of the understanding that worsted does not necessarily equate to smooth, texture-less fabric that should only be worn as a suiting fabric. If a worsted fabric has some nice texture and wears well, what would be the reasoning against it as an odd trouser? Or is it just that you prefer woolen flannel regardless?
I generally prefer woolen flannel regardless, but was also referring to worsted incorrectly as well to describe texture-less fabrics.

jko

Reaction score

First shirt ordered, classic blue OCBD. Any comments on the stock BD collars? Are they Ivy-esque (nice roll, longer than normal)?

I love the stock BD. Nice roll, collar points not too long. Very well proportioned. Make sure to get them unlined.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Goodness, how do you have 38k posts? I see you've been here since 2006, but still - wow.

For monster, inhuman poast count + poast velocity, check out In Stitches (better known as Stitchy ... and some other unmentionables [snicker!]). His is insane.

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Easy to rack them up if you get involved in other sub-fora. No idea how Stitch does it.

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've actually made efforts to trim my subscriptions, and rarely venture outside of them, or to the main page - I already spend enough time on here.

To keep this on track - on my next trousers I'll be asking that the fly be zip and buttons at the top - the default buttons Luxire uses amounts to about 6 - four traditional ones and an additional two that get attached to a support strip from the left side of the front of the pants (on the inside obviously). It's too much work.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Unlined? I get my Barba BD unfused, lightly lined.

I love the stock BD. Nice roll, collar points not too long. Very well proportioned. Make sure to get them unlined.

I know this is somewhere deep in the thread, but if you have a pic of these, would you mind posting? Interested in collar band height (I know there's a google doc somewhere too). I have a version of the Borrelli/Barba BD made by another MTM which I might try to have replicated by Luxire when I can make the purchase.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
-- there is something off about the trouser waistband construction; I think it's missing some type of lining or internal construction that I take for granted in all my other trousers. Result is a weird flimsy feeling. Not sure how to remedy this.
Have you emailed them? Curious what this means in terms of construction. Perhaps for lighter weight pants (to make a guess).

Terpo

Reaction score
I know this is somewhere deep in the thread, but if you have a pic of these, would you mind posting? Interested in collar band height (I know there's a google doc somewhere too). I have a version of the Borrelli/Barba BD made by another MTM which I might try to have replicated by Luxire when I can make the purchase.

Pics of Barba BD: http://www.styleforum.net/t/304965/...g-official-affiliate-thread/6375#post_6757831
Spreadsheet with lots of custom collar details: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Wl9ScVo3VkNlR2JRSU5tTFFOMlE&usp=sharing#gid=0

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads