• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to add: We make patterns digitally too. We use the best software and hardware out there for pattern making. But, our best are hand-made.

Our manufacturing facility is second to none in terms of technology, sophistry or machinery. The best clothes are still made by hand.

Technology now is a commodity. But currently, it is not a priority.

I strongly believe that bulk of our customers would choose a well made suit over an easy to navigate website. Though would not mind having both.

Can we change Sophistry to "sophistication"?

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Living in a place like NYC makes it fairly difficult to have a "true" 4 season trouser. It will be scorching hot on the subway platforms in the summer and freezing in the dead of winter. You're really better off starting with a mid-weight fabric for fall and spring, but you shoul also plan on getting the flannels and heavier stuff for winter and then getting some lighter weight stuff for summer.

+1. Mid-weight stuff can also work on warmer days in the winter and on cooler days in the summer, but you'll want some lightweight wool / fresco / linen depending on your work environment for the hottest days of summer and some flannels for the coldest days of winter. I'd prefer a 10-11 ounce fabric for mid-weight trousers. It will probably hang and drape better than lighter fabrics as well. If you tend to be cold, you could even get something heavier.

I suspect a lot of "four season" cloths are lightweight because it makes them more tolerable during the summer and they are at least partly covered by an overcoat during the winter. Personally I prefer a heavier trouser for a couple of reasons other than drape which matters as well:

1) In my experience, your shirt and jacket have a lot more influence on whether you overheat than your trousers.

2) You can wear heavier trousers without a coat for a longer period of time. With lighter trousers, you have to throw on a coat sooner and the coat may be too warm for the weather.

ScootManSam

Reaction score
+1. Mid-weight stuff can also work on warmer days in the winter and on cooler days in the summer, but you'll want some lightweight wool / fresco / linen depending on your work environment for the hottest days of summer and some flannels for the coldest days of winter. I'd prefer a 10-11 ounce fabric for mid-weight trousers. It will probably hang and drape better than lighter fabrics as well. If you tend to be cold, you could even get something heavier.

I suspect a lot of "four season" cloths are lightweight because it makes them more tolerable during the summer and they are at least partly covered by an overcoat during the winter. Personally I prefer a heavier trouser for a couple of reasons other than drape which matters as well:

1) In my experience, your shirt and jacket have a lot more influence on whether you overheat than your trousers.+1

2) You can wear heavier trousers without a coat for a longer period of time. With lighter trousers, you have to throw on a coat sooner and the coat may be too warm for the weather.Not sure I understand this, but I agree with your overall point.
Yea I agree. At this point it's too late to focus on lightweight summer trousers with fall right around the corner, but I think a mid weight can work through fall and winter, at least until I can establish a rotation of proper winter weights. So you definitely don't think this Dugdale would qualify as mid weight? I think 10-11oz is probably ideal, but I don't see any greys I like in that weight from Luxire, unless I spend $225+ on some Minnis. Any suggestions on a mid weight from Luxire's offerings?

Living in a place like NYC makes it fairly difficult to have a "true" 4 season trouser. It will be scorching hot on the subway platforms in the summer and freezing in the dead of winter. You're really better off starting with a mid-weight fabric for fall and spring, but you should also plan on getting the flannels and heavier stuff for winter and then getting some lighter weight stuff for summer.
Yea, I think I agree. So would you classify this 8-9oz Dugdale worsted as a mid-weight, or should I go for something slightly heavier in the 10-11oz range? I definitely plan on getting a pair in the Grey Wool Flannel after seeing how ammanati's turned out. But first I do want a grey mid weight that will work at least from spring through early fall.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yea I agree. At this point it's too late to focus on lightweight summer trousers with fall right around the corner, but I think a mid weight can work through fall and winter, at least until I can establish a rotation of proper winter weights. So you definitely don't think this Dugdale would qualify as mid weight? I think 10-11oz is probably ideal, but I don't see any greys I like in that weight from Luxire, unless I spend $225+ on some Minnis. Any suggestions on a mid weight from Luxire's offerings?

Yea, I think I agree. So would you classify this 8-9oz Dugdale worsted as a mid-weight, or should I go for something slightly heavier in the 10-11oz range? I definitely plan on getting a pair in the Grey Wool Flannel after seeing how ammanati's turned out. But first I do want a grey mid weight that will work at least from spring through early fall.

I'd definitely go with something heavier. The closest thing I see seems to be the Dugdale Royal Classics line which is a 12-13 ounce worsted. Probably a bit heavier than you are looking for but worsteds tend to wear cooler than flannel and the Minnis flannel is 14 ounces. I don't have direct experience with this fabric but am planning to try it out in a medium grey with my next Luxire order. Probably not as good as the flannel for truly cold days but it should at least have enough substance to be serviceable in the winter and will probably last a bit longer into the warmer weather (plus worsteds, unlike flannels, do not look out of place during summer).

I recall Luxire posting that they are able to get certain cloths that are not on their website but haven't looked at these offerings in much detail. You may be able to find something suitable in the 10-11 ounce weight but you'd probably have to check with Luxire on exact pricing.

ScootManSam

Reaction score
I'd definitely go with something heavier. The closest thing I see seems to be the Dugdale Royal Classics line which is a 12-13 ounce worsted. Probably a bit heavier than you are looking for but worsteds tend to wear cooler than flannel and the Minnis flannel is 14 ounces. I don't have direct experience with this fabric but am planning to try it out in a medium grey with my next Luxire order. Probably not as good as the flannel for truly cold days but it should at least have enough substance to be serviceable in the winter and will probably last a bit longer into the warmer weather (plus worsteds, unlike flannels, do not look out of place during summer).

I recall Luxire posting that they are able to get certain cloths that are not on their website but haven't looked at these offerings in much detail. You may be able to find something suitable in the 10-11 ounce weight but you'd probably have to check with Luxire on exact pricing.
Thanks archi. That's definitely true that worsteds wear cooler, so the Dugdale Royal Classics would probably work. Keep me posted if you do get something from this line. I didn't know Luxire was able to get other cloths. I wonder if they would need a group order for that kind of thing. I'll shoot them an email and report back what I hear.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of you guys don't mind not being updated every minute about your garment but I do. I haven't heard back from Luxie about my shirt and the last thing I saw in m y email was that my order was cancelled via fed ex. I asked them to ship it USPS.

Not sure if they've shipped it out USPS now or what. I like to be updated as a customer, after all they're in the customer service business.

hookem12387

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some of you guys don't mind not being updated every minute about your garment but I do. I haven't heard back from Luxie about my shirt and the last thing I saw in m y email was that my order was cancelled via fed ex. I asked them to ship it USPS.

Not sure if they've shipped it out USPS now or what. I like to be updated as a customer, after all they're in the customer service business.
Email Theresa. She's super responsive. If you haven't heard back in a day, try again - it probably got spam filtered.

smoothmoose

Reaction score

Why was the Fedex cancelled? You prefer it to come via USPS? I am based out of Toronto as well, so curious if there is a reason for this.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why was the Fedex cancelled? You prefer it to come via USPS? I am based out of Toronto as well, so curious if there is a reason for this.

I don't want to get charged brokerage or duty etc. You know how Canada rapes us. I had a nice surprise a long time ago when I ordered car parts and it came fed ex. :slayer:

smoothmoose

Reaction score

I don't want to get charged brokerage or duty etc. You know how Canada rapes us. I had a nice surprise a long time ago when I ordered car parts and it came fed ex. :slayer:

Good point. But a couple questions. Doesn't Luxire produce and ship final goods from India? So it seems you can make a special request for them to ship from India to their New Jersey office and then resend to Canada via USPS? That is pretty generous them if so.

Also, I maybe mistaken but any parcel item coming in whether it be USPS, Fedex, UPS, etc, still subject to customs clearance? I would also be interested to know if Luxire marks packages coming in via India as transacted by Luxire the US company??? I believe if they do that is subject to our free-trade agreement (NAFTA) and only HST would apply.

I know for example Indochino ships Fedex from their factory in China, but the package is never subject to customs clearance and duties since Indochino is a Canadian company the transaction has taken HST already.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good point. But a couple questions. Doesn't Luxire produce and ship final goods from India? So it seems you can make a special request for them to ship from India to their New Jersey office and then resend to Canada via USPS? That is pretty generous them if so.

Also, I maybe mistaken but any parcel item coming in whether it be USPS, Fedex, UPS, etc, still subject to customs clearance? I would also be interested to know if Luxire marks packages coming in via India as transacted by Luxire the US company??? I believe if they do that is subject to our free-trade agreement (NAFTA) and only HST would apply.

I know for example Indochino ships Fedex from their factory in China, but the package is never subject to customs clearance and duties since Indochino is a Canadian company the transaction has taken HST already.

I believe since its under $100 I won't get hit by customs. Either way, I'm playing it safe. I wasn't aware that the item is shipped from India. Oops.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads