• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking to get into biking

s2kev

Reaction score
Anyone here into biking? I'm looking into starting since my knee has been acting up when I run so I thought it would be a nice alternative. I want to get a decent road bike (not fixed gear) that won't bankrupt me. Anyone have any suggestions? Also does anyone here belong to some sort of biking group from the LA area? It would be nice to go on bike runs with others since it seems to be more motivating when you're with other people.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bikesdirect.com has great value choices. Buy one and get a local bike shop to put it together. I don't know about cycling groups in LA but I am sure there are a ton.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also performance bike. They've got a ton of LA locations or their online site. And IIRC they just started their anniversary sale. They are like the Costco of cycling.

jefe

Reaction score
Craigslist. Find something that fits with 105/Ultregra/Dura-ace components and some decent wheels. Aluminum frame, carbon fork should be doable for $500-750

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are new to the sport I would stay away from online sellers. Go find a good local bike shop (if you need some recommendations find a bike club in your area and ask what shop they like to frequent) and go talk to them. As a bike shop veteran I can tell you that it can definitely pay off to go to a good shop, especially for your first bike. I've seen so many people bring in home assembled bikes that don't fit them and never will but they just sunk hundreds of dollars into them so the suffer through.

Once you've been into it for a while there are some fine options online but a relationship with a good local shop can have some big benefits as well and I think they are worth looking into.

If you run into any specific questions feel free to pm me. I've spent 8 years working in 4 different bike shops and am still in the industry in a different capacity these days, always happy to help someone new get into the sport.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^Very good advice. I'd go to a local bike shop to test bikes, and get one that is the right size.

EMY

Reaction score
Around your area, you can check out this bike store on amar/grand. It's right next to the stater bros to be exact. Go there to get a general idea on pricing and models, but that place tends to be a bit expensive and doesn't have much selection. that is the only local place i can think of.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
Bikesdirect.com has great value choices. Buy one and get a local bike shop to put it together. I don't know about cycling groups in LA but I am sure there are a ton.

Bike shops absolutely love it when you buy a deep discount bike somewhere else and then ask them to put it together for you.

In fact they love it so much, that if they will actually do it for you, they will attempt to make the experience cost as much as if you had just gone to performance and picked up a normal bike on sale.

spence

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slide13
If you are new to the sport I would stay away from online sellers. Go find a good local bike shop (if you need some recommendations find a bike club in your area and ask what shop they like to frequent) and go talk to them. As a bike shop veteran I can tell you that it can definitely pay off to go to a good shop, especially for your first bike. I've seen so many people bring in home assembled bikes that don't fit them and never will but they just sunk hundreds of dollars into them so the suffer through.

Once you've been into it for a while there are some fine options online but a relationship with a good local shop can have some big benefits as well and I think they are worth looking into.

If you run into any specific questions feel free to pm me. I've spent 8 years working in 4 different bike shops and am still in the industry in a different capacity these days, always happy to help someone new get into the sport.

Do this. Go prepared with a budget and expectations on how you plan to ride for the next year or so.

If you end up liking cycling you'll be upgrading after a season anyway.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
Bike shops absolutely love it when you buy a deep discount bike somewhere else and then ask them to put it together for you.

In fact they love it so much, that if they will actually do it for you, they will attempt to make the experience cost as much as if you had just gone to performance and picked up a normal bike on sale.

Hey man it beats them not getting any business at all Smart bike shops work with these online vendors to split the profit. It's not that serious man.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
DO NOT DO THIS. Just don't.

Originally Posted by turboman808
Colorado Cyclist has some great prices on the Douglas bikes. They are a really good bike for the money.

This is a great bike for the price.
http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/kit/DXXAAYX5

Might be more bike then you need but it's something that will keep up with bikes costing twice as much.

Do not do this, either, unless you know your size, etc. very well. (But CC, Excel, etc. are much better than BD.)
However, there is really no such thing as a bike "that will keep up with bikes costing twice as much.", certainly not for a beginning rider. By this I mean: a bike which costs 2x what you pay will not necessarily be a better bike for you, esp. at this point. This is why Craigslist can be a good source, in fact. People buy a $$$ bike, decide they're not into it, sell for cheap.

Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
Also performance bike. They've got a ton of LA locations or their online site. And IIRC they just started their anniversary sale. They are like the Costco of cycling.
Maybe this, but the advice/product at Performance can very greatly. Better than Costco, more like REI.

Originally Posted by jefe
Craigslist. Find something that fits with 105/Ultregra/Dura-ace components and some decent wheels. Aluminum frame, carbon fork should be doable for $500-750
Craigslist can be good, esp. in big markets, but only if the buyer has the time/experience to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Originally Posted by slide13

DO THIS. Best advice yet.

I'm not familiar with Diamond Bar. I looked and didn't find shops I recognize (that doesn't mean there aren't good ones in your area). I think there is a good one in Claremont (Bud's?) and maybe in Riverside. Otherwise, in the Valley, Bicycle John's and Sundance Cyclery are good. In LA Helen's/I. Martin can be good, but also spotty. Veloworx in Venice is good, but small. Same with King's in Long Beach.

slide13, you're only an hour or so from the factory...hook the OP up with a Waterford or Gunnar!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

s2kev

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses! Tons of info on here for me. I thought of buying online or on craigslist (huge selection here in LA) to save money but since I know absolutely nothing about about cycling and the fact that the right size for me might be hard to find (I'm pretty short) I think I'm gonna have to just save up a little more and go to a shop to get a professional opinion.

Do you guys think I'm gonna need shorts? Or would basketball shorts work? Also what about shoes?

Cycling is just something I plan to do to get me into shape so I don't really want to invest too heavily into it. I'll probably cycle no more than 2 or 3x times a week and probably won't be joining any competitions or marathons.

Thanks!

s2kev

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EMY
Around your area, you can check out this bike store on amar/grand. It's right next to the stater bros to be exact. Go there to get a general idea on pricing and models, but that place tends to be a bit expensive and doesn't have much selection. that is the only local place i can think of.

LOL I live so close to here that can literally jog to Amar/Grand from my house. I'll definitely check it out next week. Thanks

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by s2kev
Thanks for all the responses! Tons of info on here for me. I thought of buying online or on craigslist (huge selection here in LA) to save money but since I know absolutely nothing about about cycling and the fact that the right size for me might be hard to find (I'm pretty short) I think I'm gonna have to just save up a little more and go to a shop to get a professional opinion.
A good fitting should cost around $40, and will provide you with your own body dimensions, plus recommended frame size and other settings (saddle height, bar width, stem length/height, perhaps crankset length. Definitely worth it. Find a good fitter, though.

Do you guys think I'm gonna need shorts? Or would basketball shorts work? Also what about shoes?
I would definitely recommend shorts and shoes. If you don't like the roadie "lycra look" there are mtb shorts which are padded. Pearl Izumi, etc.

Cycling is just something I plan to do to get me into shape so I don't really want to invest too heavily into it. I'll probably cycle no more than 2 or 3x times a week and probably won't be joining any competitions or marathons.

Thanks!

Then try to narrow down your size, and at that point perhaps look for used/decent. You can always ask for advice here on specific prospects once you narrow your criteria.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads