• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for shorts... got some questions.

Jay687

Reaction score
I'm looking to get some shorts to wear around casually this summer. I've never really worn shorts, well... it's been a while. So, need help.

I'd like them to stop right above my knee and currently have one pair of Gap shorts from years ago that have 10" inseam and 10" rise. These are about 2 - 3" too long. Additionally, wish they were a bit more narrow.

Most shorts never have any inseam options, which is ridiculous IMO. However, some of J. Crew shorts do. However, need to know the rise to get an idea of where the shorts will fall. Does anyone know the rise on J. Crew shorts?

They mostly have 9" inseams, so hoping for 9" rise... then could get the narrow legged shorts. However, I have a feeling they are more like 10-11" and in that case, need the 7" inseam chino shorts.

Anyway, if someone could give me some information on J. Crew shorts or direct more towards another brand perhaps. Thanks!

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What does the rise have to do with the inseam?

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is Style Forum. Nobody here would be caught dead in shorts.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jay687
I'm looking to get some shorts to wear around casually this summer. I've never really worn shorts, well... it's been a while. So, need help.

I'd like them to stop right above my knee and currently have one pair of Gap shorts from years ago that have 10" inseam and 10" rise. These are about 2 - 3" too long. Additionally, wish they were a bit more narrow.

Most shorts never have any inseam options, which is ridiculous IMO. However, some of J. Crew shorts do. However, need to know the rise to get an idea of where the shorts will fall. Does anyone know the rise on J. Crew shorts?

They mostly have 9" inseams, so hoping for 9" rise... then could get the narrow legged shorts. However, I have a feeling they are more like 10-11" and in that case, need the 7" inseam chino shorts.

Anyway, if someone could give me some information on J. Crew shorts or direct more towards another brand perhaps. Thanks!

Why don't you go to the store and try them on?

Jay687

Reaction score
Thanks for replies.

About inseam/rise.

The inseam measures from the bottom of the rise down to end of the leg. The shorter the rise, the shorter the distance from the waist to the end of the leg. Now, lower rise is not the same as shorter rise... but ultimately, if the rise is X length, and inseam Y length, the total length (and where shorts or even pants) will be a combination.

So... shorter/lower rise means that I can have longer inseam.

Ultimately though, lower rise doesn't make much of a difference since you assumably have a shorter rise there because you wear them lower, the inseam then starts and ultimately ends in thr same spot.

BUT ANYWAY!

Why doesn't styleforum like shorts? I never really did, but realizing (after trying) that it can be so much nicer in the heat/humidity, so why not?

And I wish I could try them on but stores like J.Crew for instance... are an hour or so away. A bit of a hassle. Easier to come here for now.

Also, I'm actually pretty short at 5'4", which is why shorts are often long on me.

I'm like the to fall right above knee (not more than 1" above). So, assuming the 10" on you is 5" in your legs and perhaps 2-3" extra from waist to knee... then maybe 7" will fall just above my knee?

Hmm... here's to hoping anyway.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why doesn't styleforum like shorts? I never really did, but realizing (after trying) that it can be so much nicer in the heat/humidity, so why not?

Yeah, I don't get this. Unless it's a really formal event during the spring/summer/early fall months, I'm in shorts. I can't deal with the heat and humidity here with long pants or even a long sleeved shirt. There are some great casual looks that can be pulled off with shorts.

glowell222

Reaction score
Sounds like a job for your tailor.

I like to take my old chinos and linen trousers to the tailor and have them converted into shorts.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for replies.

About inseam/rise.

(1) The inseam measures from the bottom of the rise down to end of the leg.
(2) The shorter the rise, the shorter the distance from the waist to the end of the leg.
(3) Now, lower rise is not the same as shorter rise... but ultimately, if the rise is X length, and inseam Y length, the total length (and where shorts or even pants) will be a combination.

(4) So... shorter/lower rise means that I can have longer inseam.

Ultimately though, lower rise doesn't make much of a difference since
(5) you assumably have a shorter rise there because you wear them lower,
(6) the inseam then starts and ultimately ends in thr same spot.

OK, you were getting there by yourself, but let's think it through.

(1) is true, by definition
(2) is true for a constant inseam
(3) is true, and can be made stronger: the outside length of the shorts is equal to the inseam plus the rise

Here's where you go off the reservation: you don't define the rise, and you don't understand how to select a rise when you wear pants.

The (front) rise is the distance from the crotch seam to the waist.

The rise is determined by (a) where you want the waist on your pants to sit (e.g., on your hips, just below the navel, nipple-high) and (b) how much room you want to leave at your crotch (e.g. moose knuckle, low slung)

The rise is not intended to have anything to do with where you want the hem of your pants to sit. Figure out (a) and (b) and then you have your rise.

OK, back to you.

(4) notwithstanding what I've just said, this is true. For a constant rise and inseam, you can adjust the position of the hem by lowering and raising your pants at the waist. Homeless guys, jailbirds and toddlers do this all the time.
(5) however, by doing so, you do not change the rise. The rise is a measure of the pants, not of how you wear them. (Also "assumably" - webster that and let me know what it means)
(6) you ran out of time, obviously - this sentence means nothing.

To sum up: If you want to change where the hem of your shorts sit, buy a pair of shorts that fit iyou in the waist and crotch and have them adjusted.

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by glowell222
Sounds like a job for your tailor.

I like to take my old chinos and linen trousers to the tailor and have them converted into shorts.

Very good idea. I have too many Incotex cotton and linen pants in fancy colors, I'll probably wear them more often as shorts.
I ordered this morning a Montedoro jacket from Yoox and was thinking of getting these 'Incotex city shorts'. Better yet, the chinolino model from Barney's, a bit expensive though.

More pics
p01.jpg

icpn6118912448_2.jpg

icpn6118990646_1.jpg

cityshorts+006.jpg

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
cityshorts+006.jpg

That is ridiculous.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads