• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for article about the Berlin Wall

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
Yes, that's actually my original point, that people all over the world make all kinds of assumptions about their own histories and the histories of others (among other things).

In that sense, yes, it is very normal. On the other hand the wall is pretty ******* recent. But then some people think Romans recently tried to take over the world.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
In that sense, yes, it is very normal. On the other hand the wall is pretty ******* recent. But then some people think Romans recently tried to take over the world.

I had an Iranian student who asked me what kind of music I liked. I told him I mostly listened to metal. He was astounded and asked how that was possible. I thought there was a translation problem, but there wasn't; he knew exactly what I was talking about. When I asked what the problem was, he said "But the US government hunted down and killed all the heavy metal artists! That's what many Iranians have heard!"

I had absolutely no idea how to respond to that.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
I had an Iranian student who asked me what kind of music I liked. I told him I mostly listened to metal. He was astounded and asked how that was possible. I thought there was a translation problem, but there wasn't; he knew exactly what I was talking about. When I asked what the problem was, he said "But the US government hunted down and killed all the heavy metal artists! That's what many Iranians have heard!" I had absolutely no idea how to respond to that.
Tell him your crack team of MetalKillers poisoned Poison.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I haven't seen the article, but I can tell you that 100% of MrGs find people who use "an article" as a mask for inflammatory trolling to be asshats.

Patrician

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
I haven't seen the article, but I can tell you that 100% of MrGs find people who use "an article" as a mask for inflammatory trolling to be asshats.
Are you implying that I'm making this up?
plain.gif

baseball_guy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patrician
I read an article about the Berlin Wall recently where they presented a recent study that shows that a vast number of Americans believe that the Berlin Wall was built by Nazi Germany.

Has anyone else read this article? Link? (can't seem to find it)

And, what's SF's take on this?

It's quite worrying if true seeing as the wall was built 16 years AFTER the war ended. You'd might think that schools would educate people, and especially in the US (being a major player in WW2 and all) but apparently this has failed?

frown.gif

I don't know one person who believes that.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patrician
Are you implying that I'm making this up?
plain.gif

Nope. I'm not implying anything. I'm stating outright that it's trollish to come to a forum that has a strong American contingency and say "I heard once you're all a bunch of morons, and, while I have nothing upon which to base my assertion, I'm going to make this statement and try to get you all riled up."

I have no problem believing my fellow countrymen are idiots, but the difference between trolling and debate is empirical evidence, which you did not provide. If you can link to such an article I will happily read it, but until then your post reeks of baiting just for the sake of getting a rise out of someone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 101 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads