• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Long boots

janne melkersson

Reaction score
It is not often I have seen long boots on S.F. so here is a photo of a strap buckle laced field boot that was finnished last week. It is made for a Swedish polo rider. I think Loobs call the style Greenly boot.

It is an interesting style with a long folded belows tongue which make it possible to open up the boot wide. The client choosed to make it pretty traditional, regarding toe style and the waist (square). However, this and all other riding boot styles can be made with a chisel toe and a fiddle back waist. Actually, that would be a pretty cool boot!

Credit goes to my friend, colleague and co-operator Mr Pelle Kraft, Brixton who is one of the anonymous free lancing makers in London. Whom without this trade would be long time gone. The English motorcyckle Vincent had a saying that their bikes was made by enthusiastics for enthusiastics and this could be said about Pelle and about many other free lancers.

I will be in London in the end of April or beginning of May and Pelles work shop will be open for those interested to see the work of two enthusiastic Swedes. Please let me know if there is any particular stage of the making that would be of interest and I will try to have it on the bench. I come back later with my itinerary.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Very nice Janne. I hope someone can be there to take some pictures in the workshop for us.

Could you tell us what the other items visible in the picture are? I see a box of nails or staples, some rasps and files, some kind of bone (?), and some compounds at right of the boots... some pliers in that case?

morsem

Reaction score
Look at the lacing! The tie is in the center of the eyelet group? Interesting.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by morsem
Look at the lacing! The tie is in the center of the eyelet group? Interesting.
That is normal for tall boots with closed leather above and below the laces (there's probably a term for that). Police motorcycle boots among others use the same lacing.

janne melkersson

Reaction score
J,
Thank's for the compliment.

To the left of the boot there is a box of nails for the heel liftings and a can of cement for the heel and toe stiffener. To the right there are some rasps and files for the finnishing of the heel and soles. Above the boot there are a serie of different edge iron. The bone is from a seal and is among other things used for burnishing leather.
In the case there are all kinds of hand tools needed for the making and as you noticed three lasting pliers in different sizes. These pliers are desirable items among makers all over the world. To the right of the boot you can also see home made shoemakers-wax, bees-wax and paraffin-wax. And finally, to the left of the boot you can see some pieces of broken glass which I will form to small tools used as scrapers.

Please let me know if there is a tool you want to see. If I have I will post it

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by janne melkersson
It is an interesting style with a long folded belows tongue which make it possible to open up the boot wide.

Janne, that's one handsome looking boot. The only time I see people wearing this type of boots is when riding and on highway patrol and mounted cops. I think one advantage of the wide boot opening is to make the calf fitting much more flexible, ie, the boots can fit within a range of calf measurement plus allowance for the thickness of the breeches that supposed to tuck into the boots. Plus it's easier to get in and off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads