• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SimplyStylin

Reaction score
Bucks arrived, beautiful shoes! I misspoke about the color, they are burnished brown not mahogany.

The burnished brown is a bit lighter then I expected, and pretty close to both my Loake Langdale (tan) and AE Walnut Daltons. Apparently the Chesters I bought recently are the same color, and I had thought they were mis-shipped, but this new pair confirms it. You can see this in an earlier post of mine. I'm fine with it though as they will darken up over time with some darker polish and probably patina nicely that way.

I like them much more then the Chesters in fit and in style personally (capital vs 024 last mainly), even for wear with slim denim. If the Chesters don't get too much wear, they will be on eBay quickly I think. I can certainly see wearing these more often ;)

Last edited:

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bucks arrived, beautiful shoes! I misspoke about the color, they are burnished brown not mahogany.

The burnished brown is a bit lighter then I expected, and pretty close to both my Loake Langdale (tan) and AE Walnut Daltons. Apparently the Chesters I bought recently are the same color, and I had thought they were mis-shipped, but this new pair confirms it. You can see this in an earlier post of mine. I'm fine with it though as they will darken up over time with some darker polish and probably patina nicely that way.

I like them much more then the Chesters in fit and in style personally (capital vs 024 last mainly), even for wear with slim denim. If the Chesters don't get too much wear, they will be on eBay quickly I think. I can certainly see wearing these more often ;)

Lovely shoes, Simply! I have found them to be very comfortable, very quickly. Mine fit very well around the heel, which, as I understand it, is a sign of good design. For a little while, they pinched my little does but that has resolved itself.

What I particularly like about Butckinghams is how light they are. Fit a couple of metal plates and you could use them for tap dancing! Chesters are, obviously, much heavier and different. I like both.

SimplyStylin

Reaction score
Lovely shoes, Simply! I have found them to be very comfortable, very quickly. Mine fit very well around the heel, which, as I understand it, is a sign of good design. For a little while, they pinched my little does but that has resolved itself.

What I particularly like about Butckinghams is how light they are. Fit a couple of metal plates and you could use them for tap dancing! Chesters are, obviously, much heavier and different. I like both.

Yes, very lightweight which is nice. I like that about my Aldwychs too vs similar shoes I have from other brands.

I'd have to say that the Capital last is probably my favorite for dressier shoes and I'll probably get a few more in this fit. The 026 is right behind it for me, as it's a bit more rounded so works well for both formal and casual styles.

tennisguru

Reaction score
Just in - 1880 Kempton Suede Chukka in the rather excitingly named "Brown" :)

SimplyStylin

Reaction score
Thinking of grabbing a pair of dark brown calf Downings next to replace a not so good pair I have now from another brand.

Anyone own these? Do you like them with jeans?

Being another capital last shoe, I imagine they will be quite versatile in terms of dressing up and down as they are a bit sleeker then a lot of other derbies/bluchers.

Since everything seems to be a bit lighter in person then in the pics, I also figure they look more like the one in last shot.

Carl1955

Reaction score
Last edited:

HitMan009

Reaction score
Where can I purchase Loakes from an English based retailer? They all seem to have restrictions on export to the US and Canada

PParker ESQ

Reaction score
Where can I purchase Loakes from an English based retailer? They all seem to have restrictions on export to the US and Canada

You can't, they are restricted from exporting by Loake themselves.

You have two options, try and locate them in the US/Canada or have them sent to a country outside of the embargo and then forwarded on to yourself, although this does require either you or someone you know being in said country. However if you have them delivered to a country in the EU then you'll have the VAT to pay negating the point of obtaining them from the English retailer in the first place....

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does Herring still ship rebranded Loakes to the US. I received their rebranded Kemptons pre-embargo and have been quite pleased.

SimplyStylin

Reaction score
Downing's came in, they look just the the pics.... very nice and simple, sleek PTB. I think I'll get the other 2 colors down the road (black and brown suede).

Don't mind the T-Shirt, working from home today and just wanted to try them on ;)

Being a derby they are a bit roomier up top, fine with thicker socks or maybe I'll throw tongue pads in.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads