• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took delivery of my burgundy Burford's, yesterday. Beautiful boots and I took them for a run out, today. After three hours, they were still very comfortable. They are size 9, when I usually take 8.5, but this is true of my Chester's (which I suppose would be true as Burford's are extended Chester's). They need an insole and this makes them fit very well. A slightly odd point; I have just realised that I was buying insoles that were too small. They need, it seems, to be a snug fit and, in this case, they are size 43). Also, I have found that the size 42, posh, shoe trees don't fit. Once in the boots, they were almost impossible to get out again. I have fallen back on a pair of trees that have a wooden foot part and a flexible, metal shaft, with a knob of wood on the end. They ain't the most glamourous of shoe trees and I am sure that the purist would say that they are not fit for purpose, but they work. The posh ones were the sort that are mostly wood , have a split toe and have two rods joining the heel part to the sole part. I use these for all my other shoes.

Driving in them doesn't seem to be a problem, although, at one point, I hit the brake pedal with my left foot, rather than hitting the clutch pedal. As is obvious, hitting the break pedal with the wrong foot can be fairly dramatic. No other problems, though.

I was advised by my shoe shop not to lace the boots right up to the eyelets, leaving one pair of eyelets without laces. This seems to have worked well. I am not sure if, later on, it will be time to do them right up to the top.

One slight niggle. When I got the boots home, I realised that both toe caps had a slight crease in them. Only I would notice it but it shouldn't be the case. Interestingly (or otherwise), once they had trees in them overnight and once I had taken them out for a reasonable walk, the creases seem to have diminished. Can shoe trees, or even walking, really help in cases like this? I imagine that it might be possible to 'stretch out' the toe cap creases, in this sort of situation.

Thank you for listening. Munky.

Stemo79

Reaction score
Munky, if you need an insole to make them fit then don't you think that they're not the correct size?

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Munky, if you need an insole to make them fit then don't you think that they're not the correct size?

In an ideal world, you are right. But sizes vary and it is quite possible to sit 'between' two sizes. My usual 8.5 is much to small with the Burfords and the 9s are a (only a bit) too big. The insole helps bridge this gap. I have found, with the Chester's, that I had to wear an insole until they were broken in, now I can wear them without. I don't know if this will happen with the boots. Either way, they look good and fit well! The issue of 'size' is subjective and a bit of a wobbly affair. . It's a case of shoes/boots fitting you and feeling comfortable. Best wishes, M.

Stemo79

Reaction score

In an ideal world, you are right. But sizes vary and it is quite possible to sit 'between' two sizes. My usual 8.5 is much to small with the Burfords and the 9s are a (only a bit) too big. The insole helps bridge this gap. I have found, with the Chester's, that I had to wear an insole until they were broken in, now I can wear them without. I don't know if this will happen with the boots. Either way, they look good and fit well!  The issue of 'size' is subjective and a bit of a wobbly affair. . It's a case of shoes/boots fitting you and feeling comfortable. Best wishes, M. 

Ah I see now, well I'm very glad they have worked for you.

In regards the creasing. Shoe trees and a little conditioning agent may soften the look of them but won't reverse it sadly.

Could I ask the creasing was already present or have formed during wear? if they've formed then it will be due to you having to get the larger size, although you could argue that the chesters should have reacted the same. It's a funny old game this shoe lark ;)

Hope you're having a restful and pleasant weekend sir.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah I see now, well I'm very glad they have worked for you.

In regards the creasing. Shoe trees and a little conditioning agent may soften the look of them but won't reverse it sadly.

Could I ask the creasing was already present or have formed during wear? if they've formed then it will be due to you having to get the larger size, although you could argue that the chesters should have reacted the same. It's a funny old game this shoe lark
wink.gif

Hope you're having a restful and pleasant weekend sir.

Thanks for your helpful reply. The creases (or more like small 'dents') were already in the top caps, but I didn't notice them in the shop - even though I gave each shoe a close look at for stitching or colouring issues. I did see them once I got home and before I put them on. However...the shoe trees, a dose of polish, left overnight and some good brushing, has lessened the look of the dents to the point that they are barely visible. With my feet in the boots, the only places that the shoes are bending is across the welts. I end the weekend as a much happier bunny! Hope your's has been good.
smile.gif

AdamAG

Reaction score
Not really a shoe aficionado, thought I'd ask on here after some googling. I usually only get trainers but was in the market to getting some better quality shoes which I can wear out to make myself look more presentable. Been doing a lot of browsing and I've looked into Loake shoes a lot now, all I see is praise and I now find myself wanting a fair few of them! The 290 Chelsea boots, the Kempton Rubber Sole Chukkas and the Chesters have all taken my eye. Just for a first purchase, I was wondering which you'd guys would recommend? They'd predominantly be for casual wear, I was perhaps leaning towards the chukkas seeing as they seem quite a versatile pair of shoes. Also has anyone experience of the Loake moccasins and which ones would be recommended?

Also, sizing. I'm the high end of the spectrum, well, the top to be honest - size 13. How well do Loake shoes run to the size? Want them to fit me nicely. Thanks in advance for any help.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not really a shoe aficionado, thought I'd ask on here after some googling. I usually only get trainers but was in the market to getting some better quality shoes which I can wear out to make myself look more presentable. Been doing a lot of browsing and I've looked into Loake shoes a lot now, all I see is praise and I now find myself wanting a fair few of them! The 290 Chelsea boots, the Kempton Rubber Sole Chukkas and the Chesters have all taken my eye. Just for a first purchase, I was wondering which you'd guys would recommend? They'd predominantly be for casual wear, I was perhaps leaning towards the chukkas seeing as they seem quite a versatile pair of shoes. Also has anyone experience of the Loake moccasins and which ones would be recommended?

Also, sizing. I'm the high end of the spectrum, well, the top to be honest - size 13. How well do Loake shoes run to the size? Want them to fit me nicely. Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi Adam and welcome! Loakes are good shoes and their best are in the 1880 category. The Chester's are (I think) their best selling line. They are quite heavy as they have a double leather sole. They hold up well in bad weather and always look beautiful. I only have the tan ones but think that the burgundy look really good, too. For a narrower and lighter brogue, have a look at the Buckingham's. These, again, come in a range of colours and sort of look like Chester's slim brother. I think that the Chester's are mostly only for casual wear. Buckingham's could be worn in more formal settings (although I don't really know about this as I don't go to anything 'Formal' these days). Strands are easily at home in formal settings but I find that they go well with casual clothes, too.

All of these shoes are made with good leather and are Goodyear welted. They also have leather soles (although the Chester's are also available in Dainite, rubber soles). They wear in quite quickly and are soon very, very comfortable.

I have just bought a pair of Burford boots. They are beautiful and I am looking forward to wearing them. They are a sort of 'extended Chester's.

I find Loake fitting a bit odd. I normally take 8.5 and my Buckinghams and various other shoes are all in this size. The Chester's, though - even though they are fairly chunky - are only weable in a size 9. Ditto my new Burford's.

If you do buy some Loakes, don't forget to get pairs of wooden shoe trees as well and a shoe horn.

Stemo79

Reaction score

Firstly your selections are all top sellers, the Kempton and Chester are both better quality than the 290 using higher spec leathers than the corrected grain of the 290. So my own preference would Kempton or Chester.

In terms of size Kempton runs quite true, Chester and 290 a little large which is based on averages, there will always be exceptions to the rule though. Id still suggest a 13 in Kempton and 12.5 in 290 and Chester.

The Moccasins are decent but I think are non UK, in terms of sizing theyre pretty true unless made in the wider fit.

Odradek

Reaction score

I find Loake fitting a bit odd. I normally take 8.5 and my Buckinghams and various other shoes are all in this size. The Chester's, though - even though they are fairly chunky - are only weable in a size 9. Ditto my new Burford's.

I second that.

I wear a 7 in the Capital last, and a 7.5 in the 026 for my Herring Gosforths (rebranded Kemptons).
For the 024 last I've tried a 7 and they were far too small, so I might chance a7.5 next time.
Don't believe that line about the 0324 being made to wear with thick socks.

Any chance of some nice daylight photos of your new burgundy Burfords?

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second that.

I wear a 7 in the Capital last, and a 7.5 in the 026 for my Herring Gosforths (rebranded Kemptons).
For the 024 last I've tried a 7 and they were far too small, so I might chance a7.5 next time.

Yes, it's a bit odd that there is such a variation in sizes in this way. Unfortunately, I have no way of posting photos of my Burford's. I don't have a mobile phone or even a camera. Just to add that they look beautiful and had a long run out today and felt really comfortable. I have never worn boots before and these were a bit of a revelation.

Stemo79

Reaction score

I second that.

No it's true, that's how country style footwear has been made historically, consider that these were the walking boots/shoes of the time so needed the space for the thicker socks to protect the feet when hiking. The English manufacturers don't like changing lasts or breaking tradition.

I can tell you with some authority that 9 out of 10 people that I've supplied 024 last footwear with have needed a smaller size, personally I need a full size lower for 024 but I'm slender of foot. I can also tell you that most people take the same size in 026 and capital, although I personally find 026 larger than capital.

It really comes down to shape rather than any flat measurement and there will always be an exception the average but I always recommend taking a half size smaller in 024 and that advice rarely lets me down.

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you had to have one pair of shoes, especially if you wear casual clothes often, I'd definitely go with the chukkas.

shiroang

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently looking to get the Loake Strand, but locally I don't know anyplace that carries it, only managed to find a shopping mall that carries about 5 models from Loake, but none from the 1880 line.

But I digress, point is they don't have Strand. So I've tried something closest to what I can compared to Strand, which is a Stitch.

Stitch: F fitting, Ridge Last.
Strand: F fitting, Capital Last.

I tried UK 8 size, width is alright, but the length is a bit long, I'm thinking maybe a UK 7-7.5 would be my size, but the smallest size they have are UK 8. (BTW, I wore a medium thickness socks to test.)

So asking here for any advice on my situation, or should I just try my gut feeling and order online say a UK 7.5 for Strand.
(I did emailed Loake asking for advice too, though still waiting for their response.)

I did asked the same question on a local forum, one of the users there suggested me to go and try out a pair of Carmina Oxfords on Rain Last and get the Loake Strand in the same size. (As there is a Carmina boutique store locally)

Thanks!
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads