• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Odradek

Reaction score

I have it in the brown and black, and almost want to collect all 3.

Last week the Loake factory outlet ebay store was selling black Hyde boots for £120, and I almost bought the last pair in my size, but then they suddenly pulled them all.

I hesitated because I already have Meermin boots on order and couldn't really justify buying both.
Well, I probably could justify it, but my wife would have a different opinion.

I think Loake should also make the Hyde in burgundy.

Last edited:

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree on the burgundy front.

Also yes, that's where I got my black hydes, though I already had one for my spouse, so technically I've bought three pairs of hydes.

Stemo79

Reaction score
Anyone rocking the brown grain Hyde boots? Pics if so?

Haven't picked up a pair of these yet and was thinking the pebble grain could be a good option for lighter rainy/snowy days (where something with a lug sole isn't really needed), but the normal brown calf version I keep seeing looks maybe too nice to pass up.

Hyde in Brown grain sir.

BrooksLauren77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I did get hit with customs...

I know this is heresy, but I'm not that bothered about corrected grain on a Chelsea. On some shoes or boots I would be, but these are all-purpose travel shoes for me and they've got to do a job and they do it. I have a pair of lined winter boots from Herring that are also corrected grain. They have to take a hell of a battering with the water and salt of an Ontario winter. The result is that they won't last forever. But that's fine.

I wore the Chelseas for three days solid in Berlin recently at a conference, which happened to be a good way to wear them in. When I first put them on they seemed a little too blobby (I generally prefer a bt more definition in the form of the last). But after three days, they are starting to take some shape now, and I like them.
Thanks. I've been looking at the suede version for myself.

elduder

Reaction score
Anyone find that two shoes in the same last fit differently? For example I have the Loake Aldwych that fits me in a 7. The Loake Pimlico's I have are a 6.5 and feel more like the Aldwych 7. And an Aldwych 6.5 is too small. Both the Pimlico and Aldwych use the Capital last. This might be normal since they're different styles, I'm no expert.

SimplyStylin

Reaction score
Anyone find that two shoes in the same last fit differently? For example I have the Loake Aldwych that fits me in a 7. The Loake Pimlico's I have are a 6.5 and feel more like the Aldwych 7. And an Aldwych 6.5 is too small. Both the Pimlico and Aldwych use the Capital last. This might be normal since they're different styles, I'm no expert.

A Blucher (open laced) can be roomier than a Balmoral (closed laced) due to it's construction. This might be some of the reason.

Stemo79

Reaction score
A Blucher (open laced) can be roomier than a Balmoral (closed laced) due to it's construction. This might be some of the reason.

I second this, because the facings are not stitched they give more flexibility across the top of the foot, also the facings arc higher than a shoe which could also give a little more room than a shoe. However there are occurrences where the shoe/boot is stretched a little when being taken off the last which could also account for it but this doesnt happen very often.

PS simplystylin we call them derbys an oxfords :p

goatandtricycle

Reaction score
Yesterday, whilst cleaning my shoes, Otterburns. It became apparent that there was some plastic type material coming loose from between the shoe and the sown on flange for want of a better name.
What is this and how serious is it that is coming out?

On that note I'm considering sending them for factory refurb. Generally people seem pretty happy with the experience but I'd be interested to hear peoples thoughts.

Stemo79

Reaction score
Yesterday, whilst cleaning my shoes, Otterburns. It became apparent that there was some plastic type material coming loose from between the shoe and the sown on flange for want of a better name.
What is this and how serious is it that is coming out?

On that note I'm considering sending them for factory refurb. Generally people seem pretty happy with the experience but I'd be interested to hear peoples thoughts.
Whilst I dont know exactly what it is or why its there, I do know that the make up of the shoes is all natural, substances like glue etc would only be used as temporary measures to hold the leather together whilst they sew it. It could be dried glue but either way I wouldnt worry as it is not likely to cause an issue.

goatandtricycle

Reaction score
Whilst I dont know exactly what it is or why its there, I do know that the make up of the shoes is all natural, substances like glue etc would only be used as temporary measures to hold the leather together whilst they sew it. It could be dried glue but either way I wouldnt worry as it is not likely to cause an issue.
Thanks for your reply; I don't think this can be glue. I wish I'd taken a picture of some of those bits last night.

To the right side of red line is a feint grey/white line which you can see ends roughly where the red line is this is the plastic I'm talking about.

SimplyStylin

Reaction score
PS simplystylin we call them derbys an oxfords :p

Well, you also say things like "knickers" and "rubbish" over there, but we don't hold it against you!

Fine fine... my Loakes are derbys and oxfords but my AE's are bals and bluchers
biggrin.gif

Last edited:

Clark

Reaction score

Thanks for your reply; I don't think this can be glue. I wish I'd taken a picture of some of those bits last night.

To the right side of red line is a feint grey/white line which you can see ends roughly where the red line is this is the plastic I'm talking about.

I've had the same on both a pair of Loake Chester brogues and a pair of C&J Chukkas. It's like thin stripe of plastics that come loose. I think it is something used in the making which have remained and not something having anything do with the construction. I've not seen any problem with either of them and I've had them for years.

/C

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads