• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chuckie Egg

Reaction score
I have a pair of 1880 Edward & I think the quality is excellent. I don't understand why Loake seem to have a poorer reputation than other brands but then I'm not a shoe connoisseur :)

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again from previous SF posts:

1880 Strands in Brown:

And 1880 Dorchester under morning trousers:

Chuckie Egg

Reaction score
So with this Royal Warrant thing, does this mean the Queen wears Loake? Or does she buy them for her husband (but I think he has his own Royal Warrant?) *confused*

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So with this Royal Warrant thing, does this mean the Queen wears Loake? Or does she buy them for her husband (but I think he has his own Royal Warrant?) *confused*

From wiki

"Royal warrants of appointment have been issued for centuries to those who supply goods or services to a royal court or certain royal personages. The warrant enables the supplier to advertise the fact that they supply to the royal family, so lending prestige to the supplier. In the United Kingdom, grants are currently made by three members of the British Royal Family to companies or tradesmen who supply goods and services to individuals in the family.

Suppliers continue to charge for their goods and services – a warrant does not imply that they provide goods and services free of charge. The warrant is typically advertised on company hoardings, letter-heads and products by displaying the coat of arms or the heraldic badge of the royal personage as appropriate. Underneath the coat of arms will usually appear the phrase "By Appointment to..." followed by the title and name of the royal customer, and then what goods are provided. No other details of what is supplied may be given."

Loake Bros has:

Manufacturer of Men's Footwear
HM The Queen - Master of the Household

Granted in 2007

pretty much is for the royal officials and the supporting staff, not the Queen herself, nor the Duke or Prince of Wales.

While people may choose to hit out on Loake having the Royal Warrant for servant shoes; these official and staff have jobs just as honourably as any other employee can be, and their attire reflects on the British Sovereign.

This also reflects correct on Loake's place in the market, solid entry level shoes, a lot of classic and contemporary styles, well-made and affordable. From SF point of view, hopefully these are the first quality shoes some of us get and then we move onto higher level makers down the track.

Balfour

Reaction score
Royal Warrants can be confusing. As mentioned above it doesn't necessarily imply that the product is used personally (although this can be so, e.g. Davies and Sons as military tailors to HRH the Duke of Edinburgh).

Loake 1880s are perfectly acceptable, well-made calf leather shoes (retail price c. £200). Not at the level of C&J for sure (almost twice as much), but good value. The thing I would stress about Loake is that they have a very wide range, with lots of basic corrected grain models (c. £100) which I doubt would be to the forvm's taste (although would be an improvement on what many people actually wear because of the traditional styling).

Stick with 1880s or possibly "Evolution" (which despite the name still offers calf in traditional styles - the trendy Loake range is "Design Loake").

Last edited:

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Royal Warrants can be confusing.  As mentioned above it doesn't necessarily imply that the product is used personally (although this can be so, e.g. Davies and Sons as military tailors to HRH the Duke of Edinburgh).

Loake 1880s are perfectly acceptable, well-made calf leather shoes (retail price c. £200).  Not at the level of C&J for sure (almost twice as much), but good value.  The thing I would stress about Loake is that they have a very wide range, with lots of basic corrected grain models (c. £100) which I doubt would be to the forvm's taste (although would be an improvement on what many people actually wear because of the traditional styling).  

Stick with 1880s or possibly "Evolution" (which despite the name still offers calf in traditional styles - the trendy Loake range is "Design Loake").

Well said, stick to Made in England and full grain calfs.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love my black dress shoes, the only Loake black cap I have right now is the Ayr on 026 G last. So it has the most room in the toe box, but the insteps are feel similar to other English shoes I have.

From Left to right, Loake Ayr, Allen Edmonds Park Avenue, Tricker's Regent, Alfred Sargent Moore and Alfred Sargent Armfield.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Loakes come in one width, however, I don't think width can help too much with his high instep. My Loake Shoemaker Comfort Tweed is G fitting, but the gap is still present as my other F fitting shoes. I will post photoes when I wear that pair tomorrow.

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have probably the largest "neck" (I believe in English is called outer arch) out there, but the rest of my foot is quite slim. A wider fitting shoes will be to large in the heel and plant (mounds), making my foot dance in it, and sizing up will make me unconfortable as for too much room in the toes box . I actually like this Duke last (e fitting) better then my other 1880 shoes (f fitting) as it hugs my heel and plant better.

Bespoke is my only option really but currently I am spending my spare cash in other areas. Will surely invest in some in the future, most probably Italian Made.

EDIT: Also the main reason why I do not buy more expensive RTW shoes, have tried them all, same probelm with my outer arch...

Last edited:

sonvolt10

Reaction score
I'll be ordering a pair of the Loake Aldwych thanks to the pediwear promotion mentioned in this thread.

I usually wear a 10.5 medium width, US. I've been advised to order the Aldwych in 10 UK. Does this sound right?

Thanks

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll be ordering a pair of the Loake Aldwych thanks to the pediwear promotion mentioned in this thread.

I usually wear a 10.5 medium width, US. I've been advised to order the Aldwych in 10 UK. Does this sound right?

Thanks

Is that your AE size? You usually size down half, like i wear US 7E, and UK 6.5F, I recommend double check with Pediwear with your foot measurement still.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads