• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Living in D.C. Temporarily (Well, VA Now).

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can second Calvert Woodley. They usually have whatever I'm looking for, but if they don't, they'll order it even if you only want one bottle.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
where in arlington will you be? arlington has some decent restaurants and a really, really awesome bakery

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the bakery?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I third Calvert Woodley. I also really like Chevy Chase Wine & Spirits for the liquor selection. They also have some interesting beers.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is Calvert Woodley for lesser-known spirits? Last time I was in there, I remember mostly big names.

I went to Sherry's last night for Banks 5 Island rum. It's got a good selection, but it's no Schneider's.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's going to be fun doing some hunting in a place that actually has stuff. I just have to try and constrain my expenditures!

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I third Calvert Woodley. I also really like Chevy Chase Wine & Spirits for the liquor selection. They also have some interesting beers.

I go Chevy Chase Wine & Spirits a lot b/c it's closest liquor store to my house. Nice bourbon selection that always seems to be growing. Really like the guys who work there. Have you tried the Magruder's next door? They actually have a good selection too, and run frequent sales.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lol never bothered entering the magruders. Will give it a shot.

Calvert Woodley has a pretty unimaginative liquor selection. It's okay but nothing special. I like their wine section. Now that I drink coffee ocassionally, I want to sample their selection.

Last edited:

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, DC and Arlington are interesting places.

Am staying in Arlington, which is really pretty yuppie. I mean, there is a Crate & Barrel across from the Pottery Barn, both of which are across from the Whole Foods. Am glad that there is some decent Vietnamese around. I do wish there was (what I would consider) a 'normal' grocery store though -- the Whole Foods is a little precious, and the Trader Joe's is, as they all are, a little quirky. Where can I get some ham sliced for me? Safeway seems to have a very, very limited amount of deli, and the WF and TJ's just have prepackaged. This seems weird to me.

I was very impressed by the little barware store in Alexandria called The Hour, after the deVoto book -- great little shop! Also nice to be able to buy wine in grocery stores! I miss that -- nice that the coffeeshop I was in today had a nice vermouth selection. Coolness.

DC seems to have a liquor store on almost every block -- I drove down Rhode Island from the U Street Area and there were a lot of liquor stores. Schenider's is crazy! The place is packed with awesome stuff! But it is all pretty expensive, even compared to NYC prices.

~ H

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you're enjoying the DC area, Huntsman. For a good grocery experience, try the Harris Teeter on North Glebe Road. Not sure if they have fresh-sliced ham, but they do have a great wine selection.

Last edited:

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm down. Never met an SF member before.

Went to PX tonight; stayed for a little more than an hour, and had two very agreeable cocktails. Very pleasant chill time.

~ H

Last edited:

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Uh, why those? There a ton better places in the city. Unless they changed their policies I believe PX will be a terrible choice (unless it's a handful of people coming).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads