• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lil' Wayne is killing it right now.......

lowrey

Reaction score
best mediocre mixtape rapper in the game, yo
bigstar[1].gif

lowrey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
BTW, for all the lame names that have been brought up, I'm surprised that no one has named Cassidy. While not a huge fan, he is at least as good as the people mentioned here and would run circles over Dip Set, Papoose (such a tool) and that phenom Joe Budden
smile.gif

Cassidy is a good battle rapper. too bad what he puts on an album is extremely ****** pop music
frown.gif

of course he'd run circles around dipset, no doubt. Papoose, not so sure. Budden, in a freestyle, he might take Joe. but in written music, Budden would easily take him.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Goddamn it Slick Rick... where are you when I need you?

Rakim... Anyone?

Hell, I'd settle for Heavy D or Positive K at this point. Can I please have someone who enunciates properly, doesn't have $100k of ice in their "grill", and who's goddamn pants fit? I'm only 26 years old! I'm way too young to be railing at "those damn kids and their newfangled music". The rappers who used to be so cool when I was growing up have given way to a bunch of pop music, simple rhyming, club bangin, ignorant, ass-clowns.

lowrey

Reaction score
Skyzoo
Royce
Stimuli
Talib Kweli
Saigon
Pharoahe Monch
Joe Budden
Kanye
Lupe Fiasco
Phonte
Common...

dont know about fitted pants, but these are a few good rappers. they don't rely on gimmicks and magazines dickriding them.

Originally Posted by Joe Budden
Young ****** nowadays seem to be able to say whatever it is they feel like saying, and if they say it enough, some idiots will actually dignify it and deem it as the truth. Just for the record, NONE OF YOU ARE THE BEST RAPPER ALIVE!!!!

For that matter, none of you are even top 10 alive. Where do people come up with these things? I have to think that the people who believe these ridiculous statements don’t have CD players or Ipods, and they’re just stuck listening to the radio. Are we hearing the same things? Nobody under 30 should be able to make that claim, not me, not Lil Wayne, not Fab, not Cass, not Papoose, not Sai, not T.I.P., not Jeezy, NONE OF US!

And don’t get it misconstrued, I love all of them and what they do, but certain **** just shouldn’t be tolerated. I get the whole thing about confidence and believing in yourself, but c’mon….I think people are confusing being hot with having a certain level of skill. That’s why you gotta love 50, he use to say without a care in the world “Nah, I’m not the greatest rapper, but I sell more records then them.” What could you possibly say in response to that? As badly as we wanted to, it was true. As long as Hov, Nas, Eminem, 3000, Face, Common, Black Thought, and a few folks I’m forgetting, are still around, JUST RAP. Leave all the adlibs in the studio, trust me, its better that way.

I made the brutal mistake of talking hip hop with my girl, who proceeded to tell me how she looooves Lil’ Wayne, which is cool, I love him to. So I asked her to name me two Wayne songs.

Just two.

*Cricket, cricket*

*Tumbleweeds*

Needless to say, she couldn’t, but I still ended up getting cursed out and sleeping on the couch (well, not really, but you get my point).

“Do you fools listen to music or do you just skim through it?”

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Goddamn it Slick Rick... where are you when I need you?

Rakim... Anyone?

Hell, I'd settle for Heavy D or Positive K at this point. Can I please have someone who enunciates properly, doesn't have $100k of ice in their "grill", and who's goddamn pants fit? I'm only 26 years old! I'm way too young to be railing at "those damn kids and their newfangled music". The rappers who used to be so cool when I was growing up have given way to a bunch of pop music, simple rhyming, club bangin, ignorant, ass-clowns.

+1 This Lil Wayne **** is killing me.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Heavy D?? Are we talking rapping or overweight dancers?

Slick Rick is hot but he hasn't done anything in the last few years or 20 years. When I started this tread, I titled it "Lil Wayne is killing it right now", in other words, I don't want to hear about guys who were hot once upon a time or guys who haven't put anything commercial out in years. I was talking about when you put on the radio and you hear Jim Jones, Young Jeezy, Papoose etc etc who is the hottest right now and I still believe that is Lil Wayne. Please don't bring up some esoteric underground rapper or the typical "intellectual" responses (Common, Talib Kweli). Quite frankly, I think Common, Kweli, Fiasco, Mos Def, and I guess you have to throw Kanye in there too, are wack. Everyone is on their dick becuase their "content" is so real and on a higher lever. Who cares, their rhyming skills are mediocre. Common and Mos Def have to be the two most overrated "non-commercial" rappers ever.

lowrey

Reaction score
I'm just arguing the fact that he himself and his fanboys call him the best rapper alive.

yes sir, when you put on the radio Lil Wayne is surely the hottest right now. if thats a merit to you or a reason to be feeling someone then congratulations, enjoy the bandwagon ride. that doesn't change the fact that he's not a lyrical genius, he doesn't have classic albums, he makes mixtapes full of average tracks. read the quote I just posted, it pretty much sums up my thoughts.

but then again the fact that you call common as mos def overrated and Kweli wack already shows this whole conversation is worthless. its a matter of taste said the dog while licking his balls. I mean its all up to personal preference, I love hiphop for what it has always been and I respect artists who respect hiphop, artists who have lyrical skill, talent and a desire to make good music. sorry but the fact that you say those artists have mediocre rhyming skills just shows you have no idea what youre talking about.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lowrey
sorry but the fact that you say those artists have mediocre rhyming skills just shows you have no idea what youre talking about.

Please, because I don't like your Common or Kweli crap I don't know what I am talking about? I thought taste was subjective. Since you are such a scholar on hip hop, lets go old school and give me some of the classic artist that represent hip hop the way you believe it should. And I don't consider the 1990's old school. I'm talking late 70's/early eighties. I'm talking about before Run DMC blew up with "Sucker MC", I'm talking before Kurtis Blow became the first rapper to do a verse on a non rap song (Chaka Khan). I'm talking about T La Rock, Cold Crush Brothers, Furious Five, Melle Mel etc etc. Let's hear your take on that period of rap.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Common may be a parody of himself these days, but he used to be pretty good back in the 90s. As much as mos def is more into being a celebrity and actor now, blackstar was a very quality albums. I saw Talib live a few years back and i was pretty impressed. He did a few train of thought and blackstar songs and it was a really good show. He played a long set and was really friendly.

I still can't believe there is a 4 page thread arguing about lil wayne being a top notch rapper.

lowrey

Reaction score
Please, because I don't like your Common or Kweli crap I don't know what I am talking about?

no, the fact that you say these artists are mediocre in terms of rhyming skills. feel free to dislike any artists you want to for whatever reasons, but saying something like that is just ignorant as hell.

Since you are such a scholar on hip hop, lets go old school and give me some of the classic artist that represent hip hop the way you believe it should. And I don't consider the 1990's old school. I'm talking late 70's/early eighties. I'm talking about before Run DMC blew up with "Sucker MC", I'm talking before Kurtis Blow became the first rapper to do a verse on a non rap song (Chaka Khan). I'm talking about T La Rock, Cold Crush Brothers, Furious Five, Melle Mel etc etc. Let's hear your take on that period of rap.

what the **** are you talking about? you read "Hiphop" on wikipedia or something? I'm just fine with my history knowledge, thanks. this has nothing to do with you calling conscious artists with talent wack or non-talented just because you prefer to bop your booty to gimmick rap. sorry, but all of those artists have better merits then your boy Weezy.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
no, the fact that you say these artists are mediocre in terms of rhyming skills. feel free to dislike any artists you want to for whatever reasons, but saying something like that is just ignorant as hell.

what the **** are you talking about? you read "Hiphop" on wikipedia or something? I'm just fine with my history knowledge, thanks. this has nothing to do with you calling conscious artists with talent wack or non-talented just because you prefer to bop your booty to gimmick rap. sorry, but all of those artists have better merits then your boy Weezy.

You're obviously a tool. Yes, I read "Hip Hop" on wiki. Don't get hot under the collar because you been duped into all that conscious artists bullshit, common and kweli are no different than Wayne, except that Wayne is more popular, richer and better at rapping. To me when judging rappers skill, it's irrelevant what they are talking about, rap is just music, no different than pop. Common and Kweli aren't out trying to find a cure for sickle cell anemia when wayne is out smoking a joint. You listen to whatever crap Common is putting out (he showed great lyrical skill on the Gap commercial
sarcasm.gif
), I heard his new album and it's the same thing that he has always done, no change in tone, speed, and some of the worst lyrics ever. I mean he actually mentions Jen Annistion and Vince Vaughn in a ******* song, are you kidding me????

lowrey

Reaction score
wow I'm surprised you actually comprehended something from the lyrics, YAY!

its allright if you have trouble comprehending something or paying attention to lyrical content, but fact is it is a key part of hiphop. rap is very different from other genres of music, no, its not just like pop. most others use intstruments to create music where in hiphop its not a necessity. many other genres (pop and rock for example) feature singing, which everyone can admit, is not the same as talking. this is why rappers do something else to differentiate themselves. isn't it sort of a fact that anyone can rap? I mean everyone can blurt out sentences, which is why there is more to hiphop then repeating words. come to think of it, maybe you should read hiphop on wikipedia.

you may not be so fond of lyrical content, I dont really care. but fact is that to actually be a great MC you need to have more then a bunch of mixtapes with filler tracks and a bunch of monkey fans beasting over your ****.

I think people are confusing being hot with having a certain level of skill
but I still find this funny:

"To me when judging rappers skill, it's irrelevant what they are talking about"

"..and some of the worst lyrics ever"

you don't care at all about content, but badmouth an album for supposedly having bad lyrics. so do you pay attention to lyrics or just talk a lot of bullshit?

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"To me when judging rappers skill, it's irrelevant what they are talking about"

"..and some of the worst lyrics ever"

you don't care at all about content, but badmouth an album for supposedly having bad lyrics. so do you pay attention to lyrics or just talk a lot of bullshit?

I think he's saying it how they say it, not what they say.
Talib is a really good rapper, but agree with him in regards to Common and Mos, they are wack.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads