• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Light-weight (9-oz) Flannel Suit

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Eh, if anything I wish I had ordered a heavier flannel for my suit. I think it's 13/14 ounces; 16 ounces or more would have been nice.

Flannel can wear extremely warm. I have some 14 ounce Minnis flannel, and it has to be in the 20s before I need an overcoat.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Eh, if anything I wish I had ordered a heavier flannel for my suit. I think it's 13/14 ounces; 16 ounces or more would have been nice.

Whoa - while I agree that heavier flannels are best, my flannel sweet spot is 12-13 ounces. I just can't imagine when you guys wear your 16oz. flannels - if it ever gets that cold, I break out my overcoats.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm going to do a 7.5/8oz from Fox this summer. Road test for Fall. Light flannels are really different from the heavier stuff.

I'd have thought you'd be really attracted to lighter stuff ( sort of going with the soft Italian tailoring mystique)

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
I'd have thought you'd be really attracted to lighter stuff ( sort of going with the soft Italian tailoring mystique)

Nah. I don't know much about cloth, but I know I like stuff with substance.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Flannel can wear extremely warm. I have some 14 ounce Minnis flannel, and it has to be in the 20s before I need an overcoat.

I'll have to try Minnis. Must be a tighter weave than what H&S sells. (the wind just zips though their 12/13
frown.gif
)

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I'll have to try Minnis. Must be a tighter weave than what H&S sells. (the wind just zips though their 12/13
frown.gif
)

Minnis goes up to 16 (475 g) but only in solids. That must be badass.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I always thought a major appeal of flannel was its meatiness.
It used to be for the wearer, now the appeal of flannel is mostly nostalgic on the part of the viewer. The heavier flannels (over 13oz) are too klunky looking in relationship to what the rest of the well dressed world around you wears. That's why something like Fox's 8-11oz flannels are good. Their flannels surrender that fleecy, visual appeal but posses Fox's looser weave which promotes air circulation. I would imagine their flannels are more delicate but I have not witnessed this to be the case nor is this a concern for me. I have some of the Smiths 9oz flannel, they make good pants to pair with cashmere jackets.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Seems like only in grey too
plain.gif

I think there is blue. Not sure though.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
It used to be for the wearer, now the appeal of flannel is mostly nostalgic on the part of the viewer. The heavier flannels (over 13oz) are too klunky looking in relationship to what the rest of the well dressed world around you.

That's why something like Fox's 8-11oz flannels are good. Their flannels surrender that fleecy, visual appeal but posses Fox's looser weave which promotes air circulation. I would imagine their flannels are more delicate but I have not witnessed this to be the case nor is this a concern for me.

I have some of the Smiths 9oz flannel, they make good pants to pair with cashmere jackets.

OK, Mr. Roasty Toasty. Some of us are still freezing out here.

FWIW, Fox recommended I get some extra for another pair of pants. We'll see if I need them.

Nicholas

Reaction score
I'm going to do a 7.5/8oz from Fox this summer. Road test for Fall. Light flannels are really different from the heavier stuff.

My only gripe with lightweight flannels is the poor draping. How does Despos (I presume) feel about working with it?

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, Mr. Roasty Toasty. Some of us are still freezing out here. FWIW, Fox recommended I get some extra for another pair of pants. We'll see if I need them.
Actually, I can get quite cold in a 13oz suit when outside. It is when I shift to an indoor location where the heating or the interactive situation raises temperatures. I do not write this to convince people such as yourself. You know what you like and you sink your own funds into it. I write my experiences for those who may not consider the consequences of a heavy suit.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicholas
My only gripe with lightweight flannels is the poor draping. How does Despos (I presume) feel about working with it?

He didn't have a problem with it, and as I said it hangs "okay".

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Actually, I can get quite cold in a 13oz suit when outside. It is when I shift to an indoor location where the heating or the interactive situation raises temperatures.

I do not write this to convince people such as yourself. You know what you like and you sink your own funds into it. I write my experiences for those who may not consider the consequences of a heavy suit.

Fair enough. It may be that I'm more cold blooded. For me 13/14 oz flannel is mid weight.

I did get my mitts on some 17/18 oz vintage woollen flannel (mottled dark grey) that's going to be the go-to winter suit next year (3pc DB) No drape problems there
thumbs-up.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads