• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lexus GS or BMW 5 Series?

SirWilliam

Reaction score
For whatever reason Lexus designs are always dated from the get go...BMW makes cars that are really ugly in the beginning and become slightly less ugly as you get used to them...they used to be really conservative style wise...the new 3 series is the only car in the current lineup that does not look like a complete explosion.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy Lexus unless you're a car guy.
Dynamically it turned out yet another fart in the wind from the premium division of Toyota all these years struggling to out-BMW BMW.
Nissan has done a much more credible job with their GT-R while going after 911 Turbo, for instance.
Nuclear blast-proof reliability and Patek build quality tend to make up for shortcomings of Lexus. Sorta...

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christofuh
Buy Lexus unless you're a car guy.
Dynamically it turned out yet another fart in the wind from the premium division of Toyota all these years struggling to out-BMW BMW.
Nissan has done a much more credible job with their GT-R while going after 911 Turbo, for instance.
Nuclear blast-proof reliability and Patek build quality tend to make up for shortcomings of Lexus. Sorta...

truer words...

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
I was trying to point out the hideous plastic covered wood "grain" and the wide couch seats sans bolstering.
It's not a race car, it isn't suppose to have racing seats. The interior in the BMW is slightly better, but I'm still pondering why anyone would pay 63 grand for a car that looks like a 3-series with 3 more inches of leg room in the backseat. For the price of a fully loaded 5 series you could buy a year old Maserati Quat. I really don't think the interior in the Lexus is nearly as bad as you're making it out to be.
2009-lexus-gs-350+_11_.jpg

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The interior of the Lexus 600 is nice with all the leather and wood, otherwise Lexus interiors don't inspire me.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ while the Lexus is nice, I still think its a stretch to say it compares favorably with this:

driverseatgl1.jpg

interior2zp9.jpg

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your opinion may be right, but factor in reliability, service and exterior appearance and price, and I still think the GS is a better buy. The 5-series is over 60 grand and it's basically a glorified 3-series. It's a nice car, but I would surely spend my 60 grand somewhere else.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
Your opinion may be right, but factor in reliability, service and exterior appearance and price, and I still think the GS is a better buy. The 5-series is over 60 grand and it's basically a glorified 3-series. It's a nice car, but I would surely spend my 60 grand somewhere else.

I have never had problems with BMW reliability, and the service I have experienced has been excellent, although its been limited to the once a year annual maintenance and I think I once needed the A/C serviced on a 330 I owned back in 2002-2004. Also, in terms of exterior appearance, this is very subjective. I personally think the Lexus looks very Buick like (as someone else said above) and uninspired, and very, pedestrian. It really does look like nothing more than a rebadged Toyota with some shiny metal strategically placed.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
I have never had problems with BMW reliability, and the service I have experienced has been excellent, although its been limited to the once a year annual maintenance and I think I once needed the A/C serviced on a 330 I owned back in 2002-2004. Also, in terms of exterior appearance, this is very subjective. I personally think the Lexus looks very Buick like (as someone else said above) and uninspired, and very, pedestrian. It really does look like nothing more than a rebadged Toyota with some shiny metal strategically placed.
I never had problems with BMW reliability when I used to purchase them. I had a few service issues with my local dealer, but it did improve before I switched brands. My understanding is that they have improved significantly since then.

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My only issues with my BMW have been electric. Lots of small things that I can fix myself in most cases. It's pushing 90,000 miles and has never had an engine/trans problem and that's after a significant accident that caused a lot of damage (about $800 shy of totaling the car)

I'm actually considering taking advantage up the .9% rates and trading up to a 5 series, so this thread has been very informative!

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrettChaotix
My only issues with my BMW have been electric. Lots of small things that I can fix myself in most cases. It's pushing 90,000 miles and has never had an engine/trans problem and that's after a significant accident that caused a lot of damage (about $800 shy of totaling the car)

I'm actually considering taking advantage up the .9% rates and trading up to a 5 series, so this thread has been very informative!

I also had a few electrical glitches, but nothing very serious. I recall my power windows didn't always want to go up and down.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads