• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Levi's Vintage vs Japanese denim

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"ducks butt", it is a loose fit in the seat that often puffs out a bit and found on older vintage work pants and jeans. The very earliest vintage Lee jeans had a huge seat to them, very early Levi's as well. Some vintage work pants from the 30's-50's had them.

My wife hates that look on me. I don't like it either.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
basically 오리궁뎅이. it's where the jeans make it look like your butt is sticking out like a duck's.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
무사 한국어말했어?

horriblyjollyjinx

Reaction score
I used to prefer Japanese brands over LVC but now I almost prefer LVC. Some years of the EU/US LVC range have so-so denim, though, but some are great. The jp LVC line is really good for most parts.

erbs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by horriblyjollyjinx
I used to prefer Japanese brands over LVC but now I almost prefer LVC. Some years of the EU/US LVC range have so-so denim, though, but some are great. The jp LVC line is really good for most parts.
HJJ- when are you going to post the Men's SS09 LVC line on your blog?

Pablo-T

Reaction score
Originally Posted by horriblyjollyjinx

INteresting to hear of your gradual conversion - I remember you had a downer on Cone denim, is that changing? Which years/models of denim do you prefer?

One thing worth pointing out here is that while there have been some fantastically quirky products from, say, Workhouse or Real McCoy, LVC have gone to enormous amounts of trouble to reproduce obscure, funky lines like the the 333 and 200 series that must surely make minimal amounts of money, considering the investment in time and money. They pay $45,000 for an old pair of jeans, reproduce them with painstaking care, in the case of the Nevada jeans, then Sugar Cane produce a knock-off! (which, in the case of the 40501, was a far blander, less exacting repro than the LVC version). Yet sill there's an LVC perception (or perhaps no-perception) problem. So in general I feel we're lucky to have them.

Again, though, to the OP, I'd say do with the jeans you like the look/fit of best. Sugar Cane, Samurai, LVC and most of the other brands mentioned here are all capable of looking fantastic after six months, and much longer.

horriblyjollyjinx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pablo-T
INteresting to hear of your gradual conversion - I remember you had a downer on Cone denim, is that changing? Which years/models of denim do you prefer? One thing worth pointing out here is that while there have been some fantastically quirky products from, say, Workhouse or Real McCoy, LVC have gone to enormous amounts of trouble to reproduce obscure, funky lines like the the 333 and 200 series that must surely make minimal amounts of money, considering the investment in time and money. They pay $45,000 for an old pair of jeans, reproduce them with painstaking care, in the case of the Nevada jeans, then Sugar Cane produce a knock-off! (which, in the case of the 40501, was a far blander, less exacting repro than the LVC version). Yet sill there's an LVC perception (or perhaps no-perception) problem. So in general I feel we're lucky to have them. Again, though, to the OP, I'd say do with the jeans you like the look/fit of best. Sugar Cane, Samurai, LVC and most of the other brands mentioned here are all capable of looking fantastic after six months, and much longer.
Interesting take on the LVC line. Indeed, its not made to be profitable and some of the jeans are sold at less than cost. They do benefit from having their history on display though. btw its up http://repeattofade.blogspot.com/200...s-09-mens.html took maaaany hours. i dont wanna smoke but now i neeed a cigarette! I like LVC now because *** repros just arent that true to the originals in terms of cut and detailing. re favourite years, my least favourite is the 27 and i dont like the 47 that much either sometimes. i do like the 17 and before since its kurabo denim, and I think the 55 is usually pretty good, one of the darkest denims.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^Great blog post mr horrible. Im so looking forward to the shirts.

But why oh why, LVC, when will new cotton duck repros show up?

Pablo-T

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuperBobo
^^Great blog post mr horrible. Im so looking forward to the shirts. But why oh why, LVC, when will new cotton duck repros show up?
Unfortunately, they were not very popular both times around. I remember when they first produced the single pocket version, which was almost like a cotton duck Nevada jean, they had dozens on sale in the Regent store that Christmas. They weren't particularly popular when introduced in a 2-pocket version, either. However, if your Jonesing for a pair, try calling Cinch. The manager Richard had found a few pairs last time I went in - I'm not certain whether that was for sale, or simply to show people, but it's worth a call. He's been going through the cupboards and has a few intersting finds... it was good to compare different years of repros (ie the 55 in versions from 99ish to 2007) - there can be big differences in the fabric year to year. HJJ agreed re the 55 - it's the classic late denim, which is pretty hairy post soak. looks very different to the 47, although I remain a fan, it's a definitive jean and fades in beautifully with care.. (47 on left, 55 on right, both unwashed, but with buckets of lens-flare)
1955vs1947.jpg

erbs

Reaction score
Hi Paul! Its good to see you around here. The SuFu refugees keep streaming in...

Do you (or HJJ) know if the current LVC collection is still made in the USA? Have they found a new factory following the close of Taylor Toggs?

smoothie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Composer_1777
lol, Seriously, i do see it as a trend, I really do. I t reminds me of music trends, fashion is always like that.

No offense, its your "experience" because you don't have any experience at all.

If you been around or paid attention to fashion for last 20 years you would know that what you say is way off the mark.

aclosedbox

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Composer_1777
We'll see, i said it's my observation. I didn't say this is the end all be all facts of life. How long before Gap, and AnF n all the mall brands start using Dry denim, really how long do you think its gonna be? Probably not too far away.

i end up in express & abercrombie sometimes when i'm at the mall with my fiance

earlier this year EXPRESS had a raw men's jean. this season they have women's jeans with dark unfaded washes called funny things like "tidal rinse" that have tags warning that the fabric will bleed on things.

http://www.abercrombie.com/webapp/wc...-1_12261_12203
^^the denim on these actually looks almost identical to apc fabric in person (without so much of the starched sheen) but the fabric is softer than some of my khakis. In an a&f first, it appeared to be 100% free of distressing and logos other than the arctuates & leather patch. The best looking non-raw jean I've seen for less than 400$. Suburban white girls could definitely do worse.

Honestly it's probably just a color trend. People will think it looks "classy and refined" now and in a few years they'll be re-surprised by light washes or something

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barbarawengere