• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Levis 501 new fit

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
As a follow-up, and more subjectively, I think also that you kind of just "know" when the fit is right. It feels right. It feels like you don't have to worry about the waist loosening up, there's no occasional pulling up the waistline, no feeling of too much material.

What I did was go down to where it was uncomfortable, i.e., it was a struggle to get that top button done and maybe even impossible, and then to go up 1-inch from there, where it was tight but still comfortable, i.e., I could get everything buttoned even though it was just slightly snug.

Then I checked to make sure the thighs were not too tight. They were too tight on the 2-inch-down sizing.

Anyway, for what it's worth... . And it is a little weird that it took me a few purchases to nail it. But I also think it would have been difficult to know exaclty for myself without going through the trial and error.

Last edited:

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
And while I'm on a roll...

Has anyone ever tried this method? I picked up 2 new pairs in my size as described above. With one pair, I'm going to try wearing them without a soak, just wearing them for a number of months or until too dirty to wear any longer. Then I'm going to do a cold or lukewarm soak in the tub while wearing them.

In my experience, an initial hot soak in the sink seems to remove too much dye and to break down the material too much. Thus the reason that fades, etc., seem to be hard to achieve.

And I figure the eventual soak in the tub, cold or lukewarm, will help retain the sizing I like.

The fit is spot on for what I'm after right now, slim and with some good stacking or cuffing, so I see no immediate need to soak for the fit.

Basically wanna do this:

Last edited:

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you wear them until you get fades, then after a soak the shrinkage will cause the honeycombs / fades to shift slightly out of place.

Last edited:

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have heard that. But what I'm thinking is that by doing only a cold soak at that point, and then by wearing them wet or damp shortly after that, the fades etc might not shift too much.

I don't know. Just a theory. And just $40 jeans.

I've done it the traditional way, hot soak, etc., and haven't liked the results. Just interested in seeing what the results will be like this way.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm looking for some 501stf but I need them in 29x36 and can't find anything over a 34" inseam for that waist. Does anyone know where I could find a pair in my size?

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Follow up: About 2 months into wearing my 501 STFs without a soak or wash, straight from the shelf. They're definitely softening up and loosening up a bit, and I'm starting to notice some good creases here and there. I can't wear them during the workday but I'm wearing them quite a bit in the evenings and on weekends. They've probably logged in a good 100 hours of wear or so by now. Goal is go to March at least before the first soak, and that will be a cold soak.

dimsmith

Reaction score
I'm looking for some 501stf but I need them in 29x36 and can't find anything over a 34" inseam for that waist. Does anyone know where I could find a pair in my size?

I've seen some listed on eBay through YellowRatBastard's eBay store in NYC. If you're in NYC, might be worth dropping by their brick and mortar store, too, since they sell a lot irregular sizes that Levi.com and Levi's Retail stores don't have.

Also, if you're looking for a wide variety of sizes outside of Levi.com, I've had good luck finding 30x36 STF and other sizes at JCPenney (even Sears) -- two underrated locations to find Levi's jeans in many different model numbers.

Last edited:

dimsmith

Reaction score
I'm on the hunt for the Levi's 501 for J. Crew Salt Soaked Selvedge that were sold by J. Crew in 2010 in either 30x34 or 31x34. If you have any for sale or know where to find them, please message me. Thanks!

Here's a description:

dimsmith

Reaction score
Speaking of fit, what do you guys think about the new arcuate on the entire range of Levi's. They subtly altered it late last year and it's not the same deep, plunging arcuate on the back pockets like they had for the last ten years (starting in 2003 - ending in late 2012). Honestly, I loved how that deep arcuate looked on the seat of my pants and it's a shame they switched to this new flatter arcuate. Just throw off the whole look of the pants for me. What do you guys think?

It's just not the same for me. Since they're increasingly becoming fazed out in stores nationwide, I'm stocking up on as many pairs with deep arcuates as I can. Thank goodness for eBay.

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting note: the Levi's STF I measured at the mall were actual tape-measure waist (pre-soak mined you!), not vanity, which is no wonder why I could never fit into them as Levi's is typically the worst-offender with vanity sizing.

Green Lantern

Reaction score
These 1922 501XX LVC's should shrink nicely

Green Lantern

Reaction score
I asked for a price on the custom fit Levis at the San Francisco store and they quoted me $750.00. Said the fit would thereafter be retained in their custom fit data base if I were to ever buy another pair.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads