• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Levis 501 new fit

itsjustadrian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
Yeah, I found it odd that there were so many short-inseam STFs. Even in the normal colors I don't remember seeing much over 34.

Maybe their buyers don't have any idea what STF jean are?

Typically consumers don't like stacking in their jawnz.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's not even stacking though...it's normal to sell sizes up to a 34 length for people who are 6' or so (I certainly never have trouble finding them). The problem is that they seem to be selling their normal mix of inseams in a jean where you are supposed to buy it 3 inches too long(according to the tag, not some "SF Best Practices" like sizing stuff down to the point where it doesnt fit so it can stretch)

allcapitan

Reaction score
I finished up with a hot/warm soak of about 2 hours. Hopefully, this will give me a couple inches shrinkage in the inseam, as it's supposed to shrink up to 3". I anticipate some shrinkage in the waist, but it sounds like it will stretch back out to the tagged size. The jeans are just about dried and are stiff as a board right now.

allcapitan

Reaction score
I got a nice 2" of shrinkage in the waist. I didn't measure the inseam previously, but it looks like I got about 2" of shrinkage there too. It'll stack a bit, but I was hoping for a full 3" of shrinkage in the inseam. I wonder if folding the jeans while soaking may have prevented full shrinkage? I soaked for 2 hours in hot/warm water, so it was a good long while...

scotty2

Reaction score
Cross posted from post pics of your denim thread.

S7301288.jpg

S7301223-1.jpg

S7301283.jpg

scotty2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by allcapitan
Those look new-ish. How much shrinkage did you get?

well I did a warm soak at first and then I decided hey why not shrink them the max they can so I gave them a hot soak with me not in the jeans. they shrunk like 1 inch in the waist and 2 in the inseam.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
I noticed that the 501 STF made in DR has a blank red tag on the back (no "levi's" lettering), but the 501XX STF made in Mexico had a normal levi's red tag (spelled out). Does this mean anything? Fabric/fit seemed to be the same.

I had an option of 36x38 501XX or 36x36 501 so I chose the longer inseam.... these probably won't stack as well as my 36x36 511s but it's worth a try (will wear with boots or adidas clamshells).

XX is insignificant, right?

Found them at Sears for $46 (not on sale), Macy's was on sale for $36 but max inseam was 34.

Has anyone used starch behind the knees or near the crotch?

BOF

Reaction score
The minor variations on the tag are just artifacts of having so many different production facilities. They're all meaningless little quirks.

I haven't tried starch on them, but found that the creases behind the knees set pretty well after just a couple of days.

Pablo-T

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BOF
The minor variations on the tag are just artifacts of having so many different production facilities. They're all meaningless little quirks.

The variations on the tags are for reasons of trademark. A proportion of the tags have the 'R' symbol wihtout the Levi's lettering to ensure that the red tag in general, as opposed to a red tag with 'Levi's' written on it, remains a Levi's trademark.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I havent tried starch before but I am interested in trying a little bit at the knees/crotch area on my khacki STFs (and maybe on my RRLs which have lost most of their stiffness after 4-5 months)

Whats the proper way to do this?

Wh0l3

Reaction score
So I'm looking to get a nice slim fit without as much taper as the 511. My normal size is a 32 in most jeans should I get a 32 waist? a 31? I have a pair I found at marshalls that are 33x38 but they are just too baggy.

sayocean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcdenim
the blank tag is a security measure. I think every 100 pairs just has a blank tag with only an (R)

I don't see why you would want to starch them, they come with a shitload of starch already and adding more would cause them to tear quickly.

It has absolutely NOTHING to do with security. How did you come up with that one?

Pablo T explained it perfectly - the blank tab with just the (R) trademark serves a purpose. When you leave the tab blank, the idea is people will look at the tab purely as a "trademark" device.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KingCaru