• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I used the Prismo to make regular Aeropress coffee, I haven't noticed huge differences than the regular cap.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Glad A Y convinced me to get a Prismo. Been making espressos with them almost exclusively. Yeah, it isn't the best espresso you could have but I do enjoy making my coffee so I prefer the prismo to my Nespresso. The process of boiling and then waiting a minute is great because there's no fiddling for temps or anything to keep my eye on.

Also trying Tanager so kudos to whoever recommended it. Or, maybe I should wait until they arrive. (Ordered a sample pack)

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So Revelator drastically increased prices at the Octane locations, particularly on the nitro cold brew. I ordered a 16 oz to go this weekend and paid >$8 w/ taxes! I think it was like $5.50 before which was probably about as much as I would pay. Probably won't do that again.
Yeah it's funny there's now like three places in the same general area of Octane that are better that the only reason to visit is for Little Tart.

joshuadowen

Reaction score
So Revelator drastically increased prices at the Octane locations, particularly on the nitro cold brew. I ordered a 16 oz to go this weekend and paid >$8 w/ taxes! I think it was like $5.50 before which was probably about as much as I would pay. Probably won't do that again.

I try to stay off here, but feel like responding to the direct call-out.

The price of Nitro was raised from $5 to $5.50. This is a 10 percent price increase, and was part of a larger set of price changes designed to cover the rising cost of providing health insurance for all full-time staff.

Nitro is the most expensive item on the menu. This is true at every coffee shop in America. Nitro is expensive to make. Stumptown cans retail for about $5 in grocery stores. I can't blame you for not wanting to spend $6 on a cup of coffee (with tax), but this isn't part of some money grab. Running cafes is an expensive, low-margin business, particularly when one is committed to buying nice product and providing benefits for full-time staff.

The real solution, fwiw, is to serve nitro in a smaller serving size. 16oz's is a LOT of nitro. I know a few West Coast shops where the standard nitro size is 6oz's, priced around $3.50-$4. My preference would be to serve nitro this way, but we run into a lot of issues with customers in this market wanting giant cups.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The price of Nitro was raised from $5 to $5.50. This is a 10 percent price increase, and was part of a larger set of price changes designed to cover the rising cost of providing health insurance for all full-time staff.

Nitro is the most expensive item on the menu. This is true at every coffee shop in America. Nitro is expensive to make. Stumptown cans retail for about $5 in grocery stores. I can't blame you for not wanting to spend $6 on a cup of coffee (with tax), but this isn't part of some money grab. Running cafes is an expensive, low-margin business, particularly when one is committed to buying nice product and providing benefits for full-time staff.

The real solution, fwiw, is to serve nitro in a smaller serving size. 16oz's is a LOT of nitro. I know a few West Coast shops where the standard nitro size is 6oz's, priced around $3.50-$4. My preference would be to serve nitro this way, but we run into a lot of issues with customers in this market wanting giant cups.
Thanks for the update. I should also say wrt my last comment I dont think you guys are bad it's just atlanta has much more excellent options than before.

joshuadowen

Reaction score
Yeah no worries. I'm at Muchacho more than I should be.

Grant Park is a tough location. The area is increasingly crowded with competitive uses, the parking situation is terrible, and the nature of the space sharing agreement with Little Tart makes it impossible for us to update/operate our space in a functional way.

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

edit: seems like there was a pricing error

Separately, I agree it is a large serving size but my wife usually likes a few pulls off it, but doesn't want her own and I was nursing a hangover.

Last edited:

joshuadowen

Reaction score
So I just checked my Chase account and definitely paid $8.17 at the store off Memorial Drive on Sunday morning. I would be a lot more on board with a $5.50 + tax price vs. what I paid. Maybe it was an error, but I actually asked the barista if that price was right and he said "yeah we increased prices last weekend pretty drastically" so if you wouldn't mind clarifying, that would be appreciated.

Separately, I agree it is a large serving size but my wife usually likes a few pulls off it, but doesn't want her own and I was nursing a hangover.

I'll message you offline.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Holy **** this tanager coffee is good ****. I have the Cartago from my prismo and wowowowowow. The caramel is the base note for me with lots of fruity acidity. Yeeeeow this is what I've been looking for for a while.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are current best options for machines in the $2k-$2.5k range? My Silvia is nearing 10 years old and itโ€™s getting a lot more use. Iโ€™m thinking itโ€™s time for an upgrade. Machine would go on a counter near the refrigerator, so Iโ€™m thinking I can drill a hole through the cabinet and tap into the water line.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads