• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I did! :D

Also, received my Kinu 47 last week, but the instructions are all in German, and I didn't want to dial it in on expensive coffee, so it's still unused. Here's a glamour shot of it before it gets dinged up with use:

So hot.

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought I would share my experience dialing in the Feldgrind to match the Lido 3. I was using the Lido 3 at 10.5 for chemex using a metal filter from Able Brewing. I ended up at +3 full turns from 0 on the Feldgrind for the same grind visually and the same flow rate. I calculate this as a 4X since there are 14 marks per full turn on the Feldgrind for a total of 42 (10.5 x 4 = 42). Hopefully, the ratio holds up for Aeropress.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Random question here, but what do you suppose contributes to a coffee's aftertaste? Can we all agree that a cup of fine coffee should have a pleasant aftertaste even an hour or two after drinking? I bought some Burundian beans which look normal and taste great, but have a terrible aftertaste that just lingers and lingers. Hard to describe the flavor, but the sensation on my tongue is similar to tannic -- dry and bitter. I've tried grinding on my Encore finer and courser to extract more and less which doesn't help. I've also tried two different methods of brewing. I'm beginning to think the beans are underroasted. In my experience though, when I tasted coffee from underroasted beans, I could tell immediately because it tasted so vegetative.

As an aside, and to PB and Andre's point, I've had coffee from overroasted, overextracted beans, I got a rubber, ashy, chemical taste. It doesn't seem to hard to me to overextract...

Principle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coffee is a tannic product, when your mouth gets dry bacteria tends to grow more rapidly so if you're talking about flavors or mouthfeel an hour later that may be an issue to be solved with a toothbrush.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Can we all agree that a cup of fine coffee should have a pleasant aftertaste even an hour or two after drinking?

An hour or two? :butbut:

I don't think I've ever tasted anything in my life that lasted more than a couple minutes.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Random question here, but what do you suppose contributes to a coffee's aftertaste? Can we all agree that a cup of fine coffee should have a pleasant aftertaste even an hour or two after drinking? I bought some Burundian beans which look normal and taste great, but have a terrible aftertaste that just lingers and lingers. Hard to describe the flavor, but the sensation on my tongue is similar to tannic -- dry and bitter. I've tried grinding on my Encore finer and courser to extract more and less which doesn't help. I've also tried two different methods of brewing. I'm beginning to think the beans are underroasted. In my experience though, when I tasted coffee from underroasted beans, I could tell immediately because it tasted so vegetative.

As an aside, and to PB and Andre's point, I've had coffee from overroasted, overextracted beans, I got a rubber, ashy, chemical taste. It doesn't seem to hard to me to overextract...

I always drink coffee with plenty of water. I don't like the ashy aftertaste

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I visited Boston this past weekend, and went to George Howell Coffee in the Godfrey Hotel. It's an amazing store, with so much stuff going on every day --- classes and tastings --- and they carry an amazing assortment of coffee stuff, like a Commandante hand grinder! (I didn't get it, but it's yours for $250). The coffee is good, and their drip uses either a regular Fetco-like machine or a Modbar with Chemexes for pourover. It's one of the few places I've ever had a decent pourover with their Ethiopian bean (but the Colombian the next day was disappointing for all of the regular pourover reasons). Highly recommended if you're in the area, and the staff are knowledgeable and friendly. There were some pretty serious coffee people amongst their customers too.

BTW, Howell was doing the direct trade thing decades before the hipsters found out about it. He came up around the same time as Peet's.

Last edited:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey a y

Did you see this article on George?
http://luckypeach.com/the-roast-of-george-howell-frappuccino-coffee-connection/

I visited Boston this past weekend, and went to George Howell Coffee in the Godfrey Hotel. It's an amazing store, with so much stuff going on every day --- classes and tastings --- and they carry an amazing assortment of coffee stuff, like a Commandante hand grinder! (I didn't get it, but it's yours for $250). The coffee is good, and their drip uses either a regular Fetco-like machine or a Modbar with Chemexes for pourover. It's one of the few places I've ever had a decent pourover with their Ethiopian bean (but the Colombian the next day was disappointing for all of the regular pourover reasons). Highly recommended if you're in the area, and the staff are knowledgeable and friendly. There were some pretty serious coffee people amongst their customers too.

BTW, Howell was doing the direct trade thing decades before the hipsters found out about it. He came up around the same time as Peet's.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone think the orenda is worth getting? It's 100 off but 1) was supposed to be shipped a year ago or even earlier and had a different name and 2) is still $400 and a few months away

https://www.orendacoffee.com/products/the-auroma-one-with-grinder

This seems silly. Here's another stupid coffee maker:

http://perkbrew.com/

Even worse? Preannouncing its announcement of its Kickstarter campaign. Seems like it has the worst habits of the current specialty coffee industry.

On the other hand, this is a really great. Thanks!

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This seems silly.

I just have no idea if it could work. If the reviews say it does a really good job at taking out the dialing in of coffee I may consider it. But probably not for a while.

Speaking of dialing in and this will surely be a no-****-sherlock moment for you guys but I got a scale. My first two cups of joe have been much better.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My coffee shop that I most often go to has switched from French Press to filter. Their coffee was never my favorite, but it has gotten a lot worse. I don't know if it is the filter brewer, or it just happens to be their current offering, but I am not feeling it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads