• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They are not the best at it, but they were designed specifically to be espresso grinders and that's what they excel at.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unmodded, they have one (or two) settings for espresso-fine grounds. That simply can't work.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I said best at espresso I meant that I never came across anybody saying they were best used for espressos not best in the industry at espresso

I honestly don't see anything saying that skertons are made for espressos

This is the official video from the Hario website. They use the grinds for a pour over (1:10 also note the use of flesh grounds instead of fresh grounds)

This seems like a ticky tack point to make. I'm going to stop

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's something I agree with. It's a nice travel sized thing that I would imagine is popular at offices

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aero is not as acidic as Chemex by a long shot. Aero produces a cup much closer to press. I alternate between them on a regular basis using the same beans, so the only variable is the method.

For grinders, the porlex is nice, but the LIDO from Orphan Espresso is unmatched. Wait for v2 to come out in the next couple months.

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Aero is not as acidic as Chemex by a long shot. Aero produces a cup much closer to press. I alternate between them on a regular basis using the same beans, so the only variable is the method.

For grinders, the porlex is nice, but the LIDO from Orphan Espresso is unmatched. Wait for v2 to come out in the next couple months.

Have you actually used lido? If so how is it and is it worth the premium?

I posted about it earlier but been kind of on the fence

Last edited:

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have you actually used lido? If so how is it and is it worth the premium?

I posted about it earlier but been kind of on the fence

I bought one about a year ago. Not travel friendly, but it replaced my Virtuoso for daily home use. The one drawback is grind adjustment, but it appears they remedied that in v2. I love it so much that I am thinking of buying v2 and maybe using v1 at work.

dreamsburndown

Reaction score
I am 95% sure this is not true. Skertons are really bad for espresso because it's inconsistent at both extremes of particle size.

It's not great for french press either but you can mod so it's much more stable and produce less fines

It's meant to be used along with the Hario v60 pour overs which is a finer grind but not as fine as espresso. Sometimes they're sold in sets from what I understand although I've never seen these so called sets
Hmm, I was thinking of getting a Hario Skerton because I've had to replace my electric burr grinder a couple times but they're presumably horrible for French press. I guess they only work for medium grind? What kind of grind does an Aero press require? I should probably just try to get a high quality electric grinder.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They're not horrible. They're pretty decent. Just inconsistent at either extreme. Aero press is finer than French press. You want a grind that just gets caught on the filter.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
According to http://www.coffeehunter.com/green_coffees/european/kenya , they are hybrids. Hence, I believe, by definition, no GMOs.

Only Arabica is cultivated in Kenya. In the 1950s, several extremely successful hybrids from Scott Laboratories were introduced and these have largely replaced the original French Bourbon stock which had been brought to Kenya from neighbouring Ethiopia. The most well-known are SL (‘Scott Laboratory’) 28 and SL34 - these are Bourbon varieties and lend Kenya the distinctive big body and winy blackcurrant notes for which it is famed.

Stumptown says the same.
Scott Laboratories (SL) created this [ SL 28 ] native Kenyan coffee variety in the 1930s. Botanists at the institute searched for different mutations of French Mission (a.k.a. Bourbon), Mocha and Yemeni Typica which they began to crossbreed with the hope of finding high quality, high yielding and disease resistant strains.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads