• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These two are pretty tasty. Roasters are in Vancouver, BC and Wolfville, NS.

49B5C71C-E16B-4C1C-B507-3AA0319CE16A.jpeg

2078240B-DA5E-4635-A847-A8478CABCE54.jpeg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stopped at push x pull. Bought the last bag they had of this. It is so aromatic i am not convinced there is some flavoring added. Also not sure if this isnt getting close to beers that have like three or four fruits or whatever added. Like is that still beer? Im wondering if this is still coffee or something kind of different. It is still phenomenal. Used my fellow dripper and the pulse agitation method. I am getting lots of passionfruit and a nice tanin like finish.

At the shop i had a rwandan espresso and a natural ethiopian. View attachment 1984531 View attachment 1984533 View attachment 1984535

Anaerobic fermentation/maceration processes can introduce a lot of crazy aromas.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got one of the NextLevel Pulsars: https://www.scottrao.com/products/next-level-pulsar

It's a hybrid no-bypass percolation brewer, meaning in addition to a design that prevents water from bypassing the coffee bed (cf. Tricolate and the previous gen of the NextLevel), it also has a little valve to block the coffee from draining. The idea is that the valve is closed when you're blooming the coffee, and then it's open when you pour in the rest of the water, so it does percolation/pourover style brewing.

They recommend a 1:17 brew ratio to start, and I've also tried 1:18, and will be trying 1:20 (which is what Tricolate recommends for their brewer), and this thing has a lot of promise: the coffee I've been getting from it has more body and more juiciness than either my V60 or Tricolate, while keeping the sweetness of the coffee. 1:17 is a little too sour for me, and 1:18 is better. It will be interesting to see what a very high extraction brew that the 1:20 will make will taste like. I'm doing 60g pours separated by about 10 seconds each.

For my tastes, it's a big improvement over the Tricolate which can be a little faceless in that it suppresses the character of the coffee you're brewing: I'd always use the V60 if I wanted more juiciness at the expense of sometimes some sweetness. The shower screen on the Pulsar also seems to work much better than on the Tricolate. The shower screen means you don't need a gooseneck kettle.

The build quality is solid, and the Tricolate feels even flimsier in comparison.

The main negative so far is that it's harder to clean than either a V60 or the Tricolate, but I'm willing to live with that for the ease with which you can get a fantastic brew from the Pulsar.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just got one of the NextLevel Pulsars: https://www.scottrao.com/products/next-level-pulsar

It's a hybrid no-bypass percolation brewer, meaning in addition to a design that prevents water from bypassing the coffee bed (cf. Tricolate and the previous gen of the NextLevel), it also has a little valve to block the coffee from draining. The idea is that the valve is closed when you're blooming the coffee, and then it's open when you pour in the rest of the water, so it does percolation/pourover style brewing.

They recommend a 1:17 brew ratio to start, and I've also tried 1:18, and will be trying 1:20 (which is what Tricolate recommends for their brewer), and this thing has a lot of promise: the coffee I've been getting from it has more body and more juiciness than either my V60 or Tricolate, while keeping the sweetness of the coffee. 1:17 is a little too sour for me, and 1:18 is better. It will be interesting to see what a very high extraction brew that the 1:20 will make will taste like. I'm doing 60g pours separated by about 10 seconds each.

For my tastes, it's a big improvement over the Tricolate which can be a little faceless in that it suppresses the character of the coffee you're brewing: I'd always use the V60 if I wanted more juiciness at the expense of sometimes some sweetness. The shower screen on the Pulsar also seems to work much better than on the Tricolate. The shower screen means you don't need a gooseneck kettle.

The build quality is solid, and the Tricolate feels even flimsier in comparison.

The main negative so far is that it's harder to clean than either a V60 or the Tricolate, but I'm willing to live with that for the ease with which you can get a fantastic brew from the Pulsar.
@A Y
looks interesting. What is the filter type?
What area is hard to clean?
Have a switch and rarely, almost never use it. Want a brewer I enjoy using. Would help to know up front what I will like and dislike when using this.
Finally figured out a method or two with the V60 and like it but, as you know, you cannot have too many coffee toys.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@A Y
looks interesting. What is the filter type?
What area is hard to clean?
Have a switch and rarely, almost never use it. Want a brewer I enjoy using. Would help to know up front what I will like and dislike when using this.
Finally figured out a method or two with the V60 and like it but, as you know, you cannot have too many coffee toys.

It's a paper filter that looks like the same size as the Tricolate, but I haven't compared them yet.

It's the dumping of the grounds that's harder than it has to be. The best way I've found is to remove the clear chamber, and then the filter comes out with the puck of coffee. Previously, I was trying to dump the ground with the chamber on.

Also I found out I have to make sure the chamber is on there tight, and all the the way down, so it holds down the paper filter. Yesterday, it must have been a little loose because some of the grounds drained into my coffee.

I've also found that it's worthwhile having a brew-optimized grinder. I use an OE Apex, but I think something like the Ode would work well. Conical burrs would be OK too: I have a Comandante and the OE Lido, and the Comandante is the closest to the Apex, but flavors are a bit more muted and blended in it. I don't know how much of the Pulsar's advantages would shine if you didn't have careful prep in your whole workflow.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Watched the brewing video on Next Level site. Looks pretty straight forward and simple. He removed the cylinder to dump the grinds.
This is the first flat bottom, immersion/percolation brewer I'm aware of. Other I/P brewers are cone shaped.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Funny that the Pulsar is touted as a no bypass brewer but in the video he ends the brew with a bypass pour

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't watched the video, but is he diluting the brew at the end? No bypass is important when extracting, but you can always dilute the extracted liquid to get it to your tastes.

Jonathan Gagné who helped design the Pulsar has his own method too. It's not to my tastes so far, but I still have to play with it more. https://coffeeadastra.com/2023/09/13/the-pulsar-dripper/

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I haven't watched the video, but is he diluting the brew at the end? No bypass is important when extracting, but you can always dilute the extracted liquid to get it to your tastes.

Jonathan Gagné who helped design the Pulsar has his own method too. It's not to my tastes so far, but I still have to play with it more. https://coffeeadastra.com/2023/09/13/the-pulsar-dripper/
Been doing a bypass pour with the V60 to adjust for any astringency or sour notes. Very easy to adjust the taste this way.
How would the pulsar do with smaller doses of 12-14 grams? Would the coffee bed be too thin? Gagne uses 20-30 gram doses.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've done a few low dosage brews on the Tricolate, and it's tricky, because you not only have to level the bed, but you have to make sure it doesn't punch through the bed with the drips. I normally do 18g, but have done 15g a few times, and 12g once. The 12g brew wasn't bad.

On the Pulsar, I do 18-20g, and it's fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads