• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's see your weight loss

acoustik

Reaction score
For someone with a M.A. you aren't very intelligent. But then again, a degree isn't indicative of intellect. I think this thread is proof enough of that. All I have is half of a B.S. in Health Promotion and Disease Prevention from the Keck School of Medicine. What's your M.A. in?

landoeffincalrissian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acoustik
For someone with a M.A. you aren't very intelligent. But then again, a degree isn't indicative of intellect. I think this thread is proof enough of that. All I have is half of a B.S. in Health Promotion and Disease Prevention from the Keck School of Medicine. What's your M.A. in?

Do you know how intelligence is measured? Well if you did, you'd know there are multiple types of intelligence. An internet forum is hardly any kind of reliable way to measure a persons intellect. People often use "forum speak". The way I type on a message board is obviously different than the way I prepare a 30 page paper in APA format. I rarely correct myself of obvious grammatical and spelling errors on a forum.

I agree, a degree isn't necessarily indicative of intellect, but it is indicative of commitment and some form of work ethic.

I have an M.A. in Composition. Music composition that is.

acoustik

Reaction score
It isn't about grammar and spelling. Its the fact that you are talking out of your ass, with no background beyond the word of a physicist, and refuse to even consider the idea that you might be completely wrong. This level of pigheadedness belies the fact that you are not very intelligent. You are bad at acquiring knowledge and applying it; you have poor crystalline intelligence. You are bad at forming arguments and resort to personal attacks rather than logic; you have bad fluid intelligence. You are not intelligent. To return to the topic at hand: calories are calories. There are no "good calories" and no "bad calories". You are wrong.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to pick on him for claiming a girl who can't do a chin up is "strong" or "fit" or anything like that.

And I know girls who can kick ass at chins. Even two girls I consider irritatingly weak can do at least one.

landoeffincalrissian

Reaction score
It isn't about grammar and spelling. Its the fact that you are talking out of your ass, with no background beyond the word of a physicist, and refuse to even consider the idea that you might be completely wrong. This level of pigheadedness belies the fact that you are not very intelligent. You are bad at acquiring knowledge and apply it; you have poor crystalline intelligence. You are bad at forming arguments and resort to personal attacks rather than logic; you have bad fluid intelligence. You are not intelligent. To return to the topic at hand: calories are calories. There are no "good calories" and no "bad calories". You are wrong.
Maybe you should take a nice big dose of your own advice. Or is your napoleon complex impeding you from doing so? I've had to defend a thesis in front of a panel of 8 PhD.'s. They seemed to think I applied plenty of musical research theory to many of my original compositions. Stay up, manlet. Stay up.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really wish I allowed myself to participate in these weight-loss debates; they are always the most entertaining.

acoustik

Reaction score
I am stating the obvious: YOU ARE WRONG. YOU DO NOT COME OFF AS VERY INTELLIGENT. I'M SORRY IF YOU THINK YOU'RE A SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE THAT MAGICALLY KNOWS LOTS ABOUT THE HUMAN BODY WITHOUT DOING PROPER RESEARCH, BUT THIS IS NOT THE CASE. YOU ARE WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG. All caps and bolded in case you missed it. Do you understand the metabolic pathways that our macronutrients go through? They all end in the same way.

landoeffincalrissian

Reaction score
I am stating the obvious: YOU ARE WRONG. YOU DO NOT COME OFF AS VERY INTELLIGENT. I'M SORRY IF YOU THINK YOU'RE A SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE THAT MAGICALLY KNOWS LOTS ABOUT THE HUMAN BODY WITHOUT DOING PROPER RESEARCH, BUT THIS IS NOT THE CASE. YOU ARE WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG. All caps and bolded in case you missed it.
Stay up, manlet. Stay up.

acoustik

Reaction score
LL SUGARS (from vegetable or donut) become glucose and are broken down through glycolysis, yielding 2 pyruvate (there are other products, but for simplicity, 2 pyruvate). These 2 pyruvate are converted into acetyl CoA, which are used in the citric acid cycle to generate FADH2 and NADH. FADH2 and NADH are then used in the electron transport chain to produce an electron gradient. Oxidative phosphorylation is then performed via chemiosmosis to produce ATP, which is where our energy comes from. So in summary: all sugars go through the same process and are reduced to basic units of energy, making it impossible for there to be "good" calories or "bad" calories.

Prove me wrong with music composition or real research. Go ahead.

landoeffincalrissian

Reaction score
ALL SUGARS (from vegetable or donut) become glucose and are broken down through glycolysis, yielding 2 pyruvate (there are other products, but for simplicity, 2 pyruvate). These 2 pyruvate are converted into acetyl CoA, which are used in the citric acid cycle to generate FADH2 and NADH. FADH2 and NADH are then used in the electron transport chain to produce an electron gradient. Oxidative phosphorylation is then performed via chemiosmosis to produce ATP, which is where our energy comes from. So in summary: all sugars go through the same process and are reduced to basic units of energy, making it impossible for there to be "good" calories or "bad" calories.

Prove me wrong with music composition or real research. Go ahead.

Well, then let's conduct a real world experiment, shall we?

You eat 1,400 calories a day of lard for a month, and I'll eat 1,400 calories a day of lean proteins, fruits, and vegetables for a month.

You can tell me whether or not there is such a thing as good calories and bad calories at the end of the month, mkay, small one?

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Consider the rate of glucose absorption between a vegetable and a doughnut, the micronutrient and fiber content of both, and the differing effects of insulin secretion subsequent to consumption. And, then, still tell me that all calories are created equal.

landoeffincalrissian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mgm9128
Consider the rate of glucose absorption between a vegetable and a doughnut, the micronutrient and fiber content of both, and the differing effects of insulin secretion subsequent to consumption. And, then, still tell me that all calories are created equal.
Vegetables have more fiber. They are also rich in other vitamins and minerals. A donut is basically empty calories with zero nutritional value. 100 calories worth of vegetables is healthier than 100 calories worth of donuts. They are not created equal. They can be burned off at the same rate, but they have different nutritional values and are not created equal. Maybe you should stick to angry Asian rantings on planes...nutrition doesn't seem to be up your alley. And contrary to what you probably think, citing a few lines from your bio textbook does not make you intelligent.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landoeffincalrissian
Vegetables have more fiber. They are also rich in other vitamins and minerals. A donut is basically empty calories with zero nutritional value. 100 calories worth of vegetables is healthier than 100 calories worth of donuts. They are not created equal. They can be burned off at the same rate, but they have different nutritional values and are not created equal.
I was replying to acoustik; pointing out that, in fact, all calories are not, and could not, be created equal.

acoustik

Reaction score
Detrimental effects from lard stem from high levels of cholesterol, not from "bad calories". There is no rate of glucose absorption for a donut nor vegetables because glucose does not appear in monomer form naturally. Sucrose and fructose, found in donuts, is in much higher concentration in donuts than in vegetables. If I were to eat the same AMOUNT of sugar from a donut and the same AMOUNT from a vegetable the effect would be the same. Insulin does the same thing regardless of the food that triggers it because the beta cells are only triggered by glucose, which is the same regardless of the food it came from. Do you guys do no research before posting? :\\

Lando lacks basic reading comprehension. What's wrong with being Asian?

landoeffincalrissian

Reaction score
Detrimental effects from lard stem from high levels of cholesterol, not from "bad calories". There is no rate of glucose absorption for a donut nor vegetables because glucose does not appear in monomer form naturally. Sucrose and fructose, found in donuts, is in much higher concentration in donuts than in vegetables. If I were to eat the same AMOUNT of sugar from a donut and the same AMOUNT from a vegetable the effect would be the same. Insulin does the same thing regardless of the food that triggers it because the beta cells are only triggered by glucose, which is the same regardless of the food it came from. Do you guys do no research before posting? :\\

Lando lacks basic reading comprehension. What's wrong with being Asian?

Angry Asian is FUMING!

I still want to see you eat 1,400 calories worth of lard a day for a month. That would just tickle me to death! *says it in a really flamboyantly gay southern accent*

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads