• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Length of Sleeves on Cold Weather Outerwear?

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Shearling coat (seen below) since I will be moving to the northeast soon (Boston area)

My question is: Where on my wrist/hand should the sleeve cuff end?

As you can see, it isn't adjustable so I will be taking it to a tailor

Is it just a personal preference? Does it look awkward/wrong to have the sleeve partially covering your hand while arms are hanging to the sides?

Thanks

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It really doesn't matter where the sleeve hits with your arms at your side. Put the coat on, extend your arms in front of you and then cross them. The sleeve should end right at your wrist joint. The wrist area loses a lot of heat and is one of the areas that a solid cold weather coat should cover through your entire range of motion.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

IMO sleeves should be long.

Nice coat.

Yours
GN

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great responses so far, thanks

So when I do that test where I hold my arms up and cross them, you mean crossed arms but still fully extended from the body? i.e. the arms are still parallel to the ground?

And would the wearing of gloves with this coat be pretty much mandatory? As in, would it look weird to have the longer sleeves covering part of my hands, but they are bare skin?

Albern

Reaction score
My personal preference for sleeve length be it an overcoat or outerwear in general is to have the bottom of the sleeve touch at the web of your hand between the thumb and the index finger when your arms fall naturally to the side.

As for gloves. If they're short (wrist length) I'll tuck them under the sleeve of the overcoat. Recently I bought longer gloves that will be used in extreme cold. Since they're long they'll go over the sleeves of my overcoats since that is how they were designed.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice coat. I prefer my sleeves to be long on winter coats so that there is no space between my gloves and coat sleeves.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
Great responses so far, thanks

So when I do that test where I hold my arms up and cross them, you mean crossed arms but still fully extended from the body? i.e. the arms are still parallel to the ground?

And would the wearing of gloves with this coat be pretty much mandatory? As in, would it look weird to have the longer sleeves covering part of my hands, but they are bare skin?

First question the answer is yes.

Second question's answer is no it won't look weird.

There's a longer length known as finger tip or equestrian length. Unless you ride you won't need them that long and if you do then you know why you want them that long.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By "web of your hand" are you referring to the base of your thumb, where the thumb and index make a "V"?

Originally Posted by Albern
My personal preference for sleeve length be it an overcoat or outerwear in general is to have the bottom of the sleeve touch at the web of your hand between the thumb and the index finger when your arms fall naturally to the side.

As for gloves. If they're short (wrist length) I'll tuck them under the sleeve of the overcoat. Recently I bought longer gloves that will be used in extreme cold. Since they're long they'll go over the sleeves of my overcoats since that is how they were designed.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
By "web of your hand" are you referring to the base of your thumb, where the thumb and index make a "V"?
This is where the sleeves fall on most of my winter coats.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
This is where the sleeves fall on most of my winter coats.

That's good to know

I might not need a tailor after all then

I'm just very cautious about sleeve length since I'm 5'8" and longer sleeves tend to create an illusion of less height

Albern

Reaction score

Exactly. It's long enough to provide a good amount of protection from the elements especially when combined with gloves but it won't get in the way of using your hands throughout the day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads