• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lefty's random dog thread.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not as down on Danes as lefty seems to be. I think there is no more beautiful, magnificent and regal dog than a good Dane. Unfortunately, most of the ones you see are gangly, gawky galoots, and there doesn't seem to be much in between.

As to temperament, typically they are sweet, gentle, friendly dogs. However, no few of them are complete psychos. One in my neighborhood wanted to attack my little Jessie when she was in heat. And I don't mean lustfully, which would have been perfectly normal, I mean viciously! Another, a big Harlequin wanted to attack Cyrus when he was a little puppy. I believe that may have been the same Great Dane that knocked an old lady down in our neighborhood. Nobody wants a psycho dog, but a psycho Dane is particularly alarming.

So I wouldn't veto getting a Dane. Just do your homework very carefully about health and temperament issues.

As a postscript, when I was boy, we had for a few years an older Great Dane ***** that had been found roaming in our neighborhood. She was just lovely dog. You couldn't have asked for a better companion animal.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not saying they're poor dogs (aside from health), but Conne is a first-time dog owner (I believe) and a dane is physically a lot of dog.

Conne, borrow one. Stuff it into your car and bring it home. Let it lay across your sofa and bed and check if there's room for you. Feed it and see how much water and food spills from its flews onto your new floors. If you're cool with that, start looking for one.

A friendly dane will get you laid like gangbusters. But that's true of a lot of dogs.

lefty

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you want a huge dog that is regal and easy to live with, look at an Irish wolfhound. They are a great breed that lives well in so many environments.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cool breed, but again, a lot of animal. People who want a giant breed really need to spend some up close and personal time with one before they decide.

lefty

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I adore our acd,but I don't know that I would actually suggest one to somebody. They are tough dogs, and smart, and beautiful. Their energy level is not super high. Great hiking companions and super loyal, but not exactly great for anything else. The real thing is that a well need acd really isn't a friendly dog. They have been kind of de-angriest by breeding, but since they are basically a show dog now, they have been de- a lot of thinged. As I said, ours is great, but he is very much old style. I don't like most I see.

Love vizslas. And standard poodles.

Seems that I keep coming back to the Vizsla.

The idea of a working dog sounds nice, but while we'll have a bit more space than the average suburban lot, want to be realistic as well. A (somewhat athletic) house dog will be more appropriate for us than a dog bred to work.

How does your ACD react to those outside your family?

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I may. I know we talk about specific breeds but I would also advise to visit your local shelter or a specific rescue to see if you can find your future dog there. For first time dog owners, acquiring an adult where you can estimate their temperment etc.... may be easier than acquiring a puppy and hoping they live up to their parents. I had a slew of purebreds and mutts throughout my lifetime and must say my current Baja Mexico thrown in the garbage pooch is the best dog that I've had.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

If I may. I know we talk about specific breeds but I would also advise to visit your local shelter or a specific rescue to see if you can find your future dog there. For first time dog owners, acquiring an adult where you can estimate their temperment etc.... may be easier than acquiring a puppy and hoping they live up to their parents. I had a slew of purebreds and mutts throughout my lifetime and must say my current Baja Mexico thrown in the garbage pooch is the best dog that I've had.

on a similar note, working with a rescue is very helpful as well. Most of them foster the dogs, so they often have a multi-month idea of the dog's temperament, exercise needs, likes, dislikes, overall disposition, etc. And most have enough dogs that you can pick and choose which one would be best with some input from the rescue on the individual dogs.

and I'll +1 on our pound dog. Incredibly well behaved dog from the very first minute (and already house broken). Will do again.

Last edited:

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't like Aussies. 90% of border collies are neurotic messes. They are amazing dogs, and I love them, but ones who are bred to work aren't going to be satisfied with a tennis ball and a 3 mile run, and so many of the akc borders are soft and way too environmentally sensitive. An underused vizsla or gsp is going to be miles easier to live with.

Astute - working dogs need to work.

Last edited:

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not sure if directed to me or to Conne or just a general observation.

I currently have a 7 year old pit bull "mix" who was a shelter dog. I adopted her at 4 months, and she's a fantastic dog in just about every way. I say "just about" because (despite a lot of effort), we've never quite been able to fully shake the effects of what were apparently a pretty rough initial four months.

I'd gladly avoid dealing with housetraining again and would be very happy to go the shelter/rescue route and adopt an adult dog. Fiancee has come into the picture the past 2+ years, so she missed the early going and wants a puppy. If we're going that route, I'd prefer to have a bit better idea of how it'll turn out, which is why I was considering pure bred.

Last edited:

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

on a similar note, working with a rescue is very helpful as well. Most of them foster the dogs, so they often have a multi-month idea of the dog's temperament, exercise needs, likes, dislikes, overall disposition, etc. And most have enough dogs that you can pick and choose which one would be best with some input from the rescue on the individual dogs.

and I'll +1 on our pound dog. Incredibly well behaved dog from the very first minute (and already house broken). Will do again.

From what I understand (and to some extent in my own experience), this is very dependent on where in the country you're located. In the South, you're often able to find quite a range of dogs (even purebreds at rescues) with relative ease. In the northeast, adoptions can be much more of a pain **********, and costs quite a bit higher (particularly if working with a rescue org).

Seven years ago when I was looking at adopting, I was turned down for the first shelter dog because I had to leave the house during the day to go to work. A couple of years later when I was volunteering at an adoption event in Nashville, the instruction I was given was basically "Adoption fee is $100, unless they can't pay in which case they can have the dog, and as long as you don't have any alarm bells going off while talking to them, they can take the dog straight home."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads