• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lefty's random dog thread.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know little about them other than this which is pretty cool:

Did you buy some sheep?

lefty

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They basically work like border collies. More stamina and tougher, but less intense about non sheep things. More naturally social. Not golden retrievers, but they had to work huge sheep sales and shearings, so they culled dogs that were not generally social. They are basically the same breeding stock as bcs, but the farm collies who went to Australia from Scotland. They just selected for different traits. Also, there really only are working lines, so no weird sport dogs or show lines.

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any advice on my 10 month old rescue pooch. Started limping in july from her front left leg, xrays were negative. Vet put her on ant-inflammtories and 2 weeks rest. She was fine. About 1.5 ago, started limping again. The vet didn't take xrays this time because she did not exhibit any pain when they test her legs. Now she is on 3 weeks rest and anti-inflammatories.

The dang dog still has a limp after a week of rest! I think its a muscle or tendon strain but for a 10 month old? Shouldn't it be healing faster?

Alas, I'm probably going to take her to an Ortho Vet in the bay area (if anyone knows of a good vet, let me know).

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If your vet has ruled everything else out then time is all you've got to work with. Her exercise sessions should be on lead only with a lot of crate time inside. Have patience.

lefty

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All, thanks for the advice. Sorry I haven't replied sooner; was traveling all week for work with a hectic schedule.

German Shorthaired Pointer seems to have a lot in common with the Vizsla. I like them both, and their wirehaired varieties. Also still interested in the ACD.

I'm very much a fan of Airedales and am liking the Giant Schnauzers, but the fiancee not so much, sad to say. I like the Australian Shepherd as well, but she's pretty set on something with short hair.

Lefty, I'm aware that the poodle is a fine breed, but they just don't do it for me.

Will have to try to get some time with the above breeds over the next few months.

Streettrash

Reaction score
I had a German Shorthaired Pointer. She lived to be 14. They are like a coiled spring at all times. You have to really love the breed to own one. Mine hunted upland birds like a pro. So much stamina and drive. Nothing better than a day spent in the field hunting quail or chucker with a Parker double over that dog. It would have been criminal for me not to allow that dog to hunt, it was what she had hardwired into her brain. IMO they are not great dogs to have around just as companions or pets, they are working dogs and that's what they desire most of all to do.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good info @Streettrash, thanks for sharing. Seems the Vizsla would likely be a better option for us.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I know little about them other than this which is pretty cool: Did you buy some sheep? lefty
We are going to get goats. We have plenty of grazing space but better goat food than sheep. We have a while, though.
All, thanks for the advice. Sorry I haven't replied sooner; was traveling all week for work with a hectic schedule. German Shorthaired Pointer seems to have a lot in common with the Vizsla. I like them both, and their wirehaired varieties. Also still interested in the ACD. I'm very much a fan of Airedales and am liking the Giant Schnauzers, but the fiancee not so much, sad to say. I like the Australian Shepherd as well, but she's pretty set on something with short hair. Lefty, I'm aware that the poodle is a fine breed, but they just don't do it for me. Will have to try to get some time with the above breeds over the next few months.
I adore our acd,but I don't know that I would actually suggest one to somebody. They are tough dogs, and smart, and beautiful. Their energy level is not super high. Great hiking companions and super loyal, but not exactly great for anything else. The real thing is that a well need acd really isn't a friendly dog. They have been kind of de-angriest by breeding, but since they are basically a show dog now, they have been de- a lot of thinged. As I said, ours is great, but he is very much old style. I don't like most I see. Love vizslas. And standard poodles.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They are. They also eat all the scrub and brush, and they eat from the top down, so they are great for fire issues. They roam a lot, so that makes them a little tougher, but they are kind of pet like, and the young ones taste great.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

First two are his mother working cows in a trial. Last is monkey (kelpie), Norbert (blue) and their friend buddy at the herding training place.

Last edited:

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't like Aussies. 90% of border collies are neurotic messes. They are amazing dogs, and I love them, but ones who are bred to work aren't going to be satisfied with a tennis ball and a 3 mile run, and so many of the akc borders are soft and way too environmentally sensitive. An underused vizsla or gsp is going to be miles easier to live with.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads