• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lefty's random dog thread.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Interesting that the Bullmastiff/Fila cross was "as sweet as can be." I have found Filas to be very variable in temperament. I have seen some that were complete psychos, others that were very pleasant. A friend of mine had a Fila, and the first time I met the *****, an adult at the time, within 20 minutes she was up on my lap playing kissy face with me--something my Tosas have never done with me and most certainly not with any stranger.

A friend of mine had an accidental Rott-Fila litter. He drowned the puppies at birth. He said, "They might have been great dogs, but I just didn't care to find out." He had earlier made a deliberate breeding between his Pitt Bull and a Rottweiler. Those dogs were so high-dominance and potentially human aggressive that they were all destroyed between the ages of two and three. One of them killed his sire, the Pit Bull, in a fight (accidental, not a match). Another (or maybe it was the same dog) on meeting a stranger, sprang up, gently mouthed the man's throat, then sat down and smiled. He was saying, "I can kill you if I want to." Cross-breeding high-dominance, potentially aggressive dogs has always struck me as sort of like juggling nitroglycerine!

Last edited:

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, I was a little surprised as well. What's more, I was petting the dog through a window in the back of a truck. She was not protective or aggressive at all.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometime back I discussed the "American Bully" breed. Yesterday, for the first time, I encountered the "Pocket" or "Mini" version of the American Bully. It was not a bad looking little dog. However, some on-line photos of these dogs look much more exaggerated. They look as if their bellies were dragging on the ground! In any event, I am not sure what these dogs bring to the table that you couldn't get with a Staff Bull, especially since most Staff Bull breeders seem to be intent on breeding "bully type," with exaggerated heads and broad, squatty bodies.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking about adding a second dog in a few months when we move from my townhouse to a single family home on a bit over an acre. Fiancรฉ would like a dog that doesn't shed much, is good with kids, and that'll run with her (the pit mix is scary fast but has never done well as a running companion at human speeds). I need something that doesn't bark/howl/whine much, as I work from home and am on calls most of the day. 50-80 pounds. Any suggestions? I'd be fine going the adoption route again but would prefer at least a young adult dog if we do so. Fiancรฉ has her heart set on a puppy, and if we go that direction I may go breeder to hopefully get a better handle on eventual personality.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ They're pretty ****** looking dogs, Jan. Surprised you saw a good one.

^ How far does she run? Shedding is shedding; short single hair breed are just less noticeable.

Any short-haired, medium-sized sporting, herding or working will do: Boxer, Vizsla, GSP, Aus Cattle Dog (double coat) or a mix that has the physical attributes you're after.

How's your dog?

lefty

Last edited:

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How about a collie, either a bearded or a border, the bearded doesn't shed much, but needs grooming.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Border is a good dog, but a lot of work. Beardy is cool until you need to let him out in the rain and mud.

Something unusual, short hair though a little aloof with stranger are the sighthounds - specifically the Basenji, Pharaoh and Ibizan.

lefty

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've had a bearded and have a Havanese now, so I know all about wet dog syndrom.

The collies need a lot of work, but they are also very willing to work and are very intelligent.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice dogs, but I think the ACD gives him tractability AND a little bad assery. That double coat will blow once a year though.

Ask Matt, his dog gave him so much cred he had to leave SF.

lefty

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dog's doing well, thanks for asking. She just turned 7. Has calmed down a bit but still has her moments :)

Runs probably in the 3 mile range. I'm personally not to worried about the shedding, but do want to avoid breeds that would blow their coat a couple times per year. Viszla was high on my list. Really like the idea of an ACD, but worry they might be too high energy. Need to balance her desire for a running partner with my need for some quiet and sanity during the work day. I don't want to get too attached to any one breed as much will depend on what's available in my area, but would like to come up with a few good options. Also not sure if I'm likely to have better luck adding an older dog or having a pup grow up with the current dog.

For no reason in particular, I've just been reading up on schnauzers. Any thoughts (whether standard or giant)?

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gaining approval for a long haired breed would be an uphill battle, and not one I'm all that interested in fighting. :) I like the Collies, but the impression I have is that the ACD would give me most of their benefits in (to me) a more interesting looking package with shorter hair. And if the longer hair were an option, I might lean Australian Shepherd. Happy to be corrected if that impression is inaccurate. Still worried they might be too much work.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Border and Australian Shepard to me at least seem like they are very much a like in temper and training need. Their coats are also self cleaning, which is a plus and I wouldn't call them long haired, mid maybe.

This is long hair.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Vizslas are cool dogs and there is a wirehaired version that to my mind looks better. They also tend to have more substance that the short hair.

A similar breed would be the WH GSP.

These coats need to be stripped much like a terrier, but that allows you to control shedding to some extent. If you like these looks then consider the Airedale. This gives you size and toughness - something you may want to consider if your wife runs at night.

I don't know a lot about Schnauzers other than the Giant will come with typical large dogs issues.

Another good overall breed with size and athletic ability would be the Standard Poodle. Strong, smart, tractable and can have an easy care coat.

Puppy or adult depends on so many things it's hard to say how it will turn out. Most dogs tend to be pretty tolerant of puppies though. If you go with an adult, the best way to introduce is outside on a long walk and on-lead training session. You want them to focus on you and understand that they can work alongside the other do without the world coming to an end. Short on-lead play sessions with each other can be tolerated as long as you break back to work. Tired dogs are calm dogs.

You'll be fine.

lefty

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Nice dogs, but I think the ACD gives him tractability AND a little bad assery. That double coat will blow once a year though.

Ask Matt, his dog gave him so much cred he had to leave SF.

lefty

Norbert acquired a brother. A kelpie who is now 5 months old. He is awesome, but wow. He is already working sheep, having a great time with it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads