• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Led Zeppelin Celebration Day

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Oh, don't get me wrong I would love to see them, but I am not going to pretend they are just as good for the sake of it.

THIS.

fwiw, I generally prefer live shows over the studio versions: better energy, crowd interactions, all amps to 11, etc - but Studio Led Zep and Live Led Zep are different beasts altogether, and sometimes they just can't top the studio version. For instance: Stairway to Heaven, Dancing Days, Ten Years Gone, to pick a few.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen Led Zepagain, or one of the other well known cover bands? Saw Zepagain about a month ago. It was pretty cool to see them initially...all except for the JPJ/bassist looked very close to their counterparts (the drummer was practically a spitting image of Bonzo). The feeling sort of wears off after a while, probably right around the time the alcohol does, and you realize you're just watching a bunch of middle aged guys imitate your favorite band.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

THIS.
fwiw, I generally prefer live shows over the studio versions: better energy, crowd interactions, all amps to 11, etc - but Studio Led Zep and Live Led Zep are different beasts altogether, and sometimes they just can't top the studio version. For instance: Stairway to Heaven, Dancing Days, Ten Years Gone, to pick a few.

I'll add Since I've Been Loving You to that list. Plant's intensity on the album blow away his stammering on stage.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Has anyone seen Led Zepagain, or one of the other well known cover bands? Saw Zepagain about a month ago. It was pretty cool to see them initially...all except for the JPJ/bassist looked very close to their counterparts (the drummer was practically a spitting image of Bonzo). The feeling sort of wears off after a while, probably right around the time the alcohol does, and you realize you're just watching a bunch of middle aged guys imitate your favorite band.

Funny you mention this: I haven't caught any Zep cover bands, but I did listen to the Black Crowes / Jimmy Page at the Greek, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Now that I've seen this I might have to give it another listen. I wonder how much expectations matter when comparing performances like this.

Also: Heart covered Black Dog on their Dreamboat Annie Live disc and Ann Wilson really cut loose on it. I mean, I think she's profoundly talented on her worst day, and this was most certainly not her worst day.

I'll add Since I've Been Loving You to that list. Plant's intensity on the album blow away his stammering on stage.

Yep, although Page's solo on the SRTS soundtrack was remarkable.

Imyouricecreamman

Reaction score

Funny you mention this: I haven't caught any Zep cover bands, but I did listen to the Black Crowes / Jimmy Page at the Greek, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Now that I've seen this I might have to give it another listen. I wonder how much expectations matter when comparing performances like this.
Also: Heart covered Black Dog on their Dreamboat Annie Live disc and Ann Wilson really cut loose on it. I mean, I think she's profoundly talented on her worst day, and this was most certainly not her worst day.
Yep, although Page's solo on the SRTS soundtrack was remarkable.

There's one point in the beginning of Since I've been loving you where he is playing on the neck pickup and the combination between the tone and the phrasing that makes it the ultimate guitar moment for me. Also TSRTS and Rain Song is just soooooo good. The SG doubleneck can't be bettered!

-V

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think the Black Crows are an amazing band, very underrated. It would be great to see Page do some original material with them.

My old guitar teacher showed me this girl band doing Zeppelin covers, I forget who, but the guitarist was insane good and her tone matched Page's almost perfectly.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One thing that I was happy about was the fact that it was just them as they are on stage. Some of these classic rock bands are ridiculous live and I mean that in a bad way like The Rolling Stones and The Who, who have like 30 musicians on stage, dancing and singing girls, backup this and that and it sounds, just too much, not a rock band. This performance WAS a straight up rock band doing what they do without all of the cover up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads