• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mathiasl

Reaction score
Yes first one i got on 50% + 30% off at luisaviaroma and final price was at around 650€ the other i got for at least 50% off so got every piece pretty cheap :) at spenceclothing the most expensive was marc jacobs and the neil barret deer blazer, they was around 2300 € each but i got them at sale

Last edited:

nycbhoy

Reaction score
Just picked up a Schott 654 and it has a small scuff on the arm from a fall. Anyone have any recommendations for a place in NY or NJ that would fix this?? Schott suggested sending it to a place in Kansas City but would prefer taking it somewhere local if possible. Cheers.

Last edited:

estranged

Reaction score
Hoy guys, I want to buy my first leather jacket and got a question..

There are quite a few small companies who produce 100% leather (according to them) jackets, which are small and often local so i am curious if it's ok to buy that?

Price is around 300-400 Euros.

for example this one looks very nice:

https://www.localsunited.nl/be-edgy/jas-leather-jacket-wrinkled-black/

The brand is called "Be Edgy"..

On the similar note I went to a leather jacket store here in my city and dude is selling a massive selection of good looking leather jackets from Lamb - all cost around 300-500. All of them are again some no-name, for example "Superior New York". He said they're from Amsterdam (i'm located in Holland myself), and I know Holland have a lot of sheeps so maybe that's good stuff?

I am just curious if it's legit long-lasting stuff, or should I go with very well known brands?

Last edited:

proteinnerd

Reaction score
They might be 100% leather but what you want to find out is if they are top grain leather, whole grain leather etc and what type of dye and finish they use.

Read this to get an idea:

http://www.all-about-leather.co.uk/what-is-leather/leather-types.htm

There is plenty of info around that will tell you the different characteristics of different animal leathers whether its lamb, calf, horse or steer.

Just saying its 100% leather isn't really telling you much at all.

proteinnerd

Reaction score
On the similar note I went to a leather jacket store here in my city and dude is selling a massive selection of good looking leather jackets from Lamb - all cost around 300-500.

I am just curious if it's legit long-lasting stuff, or should I go with very well known brands?

Lamb generally is not going to be a "long lasting" jacket, its too soft and is damaged easily, it is also known for stretching and losing shape over time.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

for example this one looks very nice:

The brand is called "Be Edgy"..

They might be 100% leather but what you want to find out is if they are top grain leather, whole grain leather etc and what type of dye and finish they use.

Regardless if they're real leather, I would not recommend getting something from Be Edgy.

Last edited:

estranged

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Well interesting thing is that neither the online sellers nor then stores say what kind of leather type the jacket is made from, at least what I've noticed. Most I could find is from which animal the leather comes from.

I personally have a feeling that these no name brands for 300€+ have just as good jackets, just we don't pay for brand name. I could be very wrong though.
For example Amsterdam based brand goosecraft is decent from what I read or you don't recommend either? Keep in mind I want to spend <400-500€.

ChrisGold

Reaction score

Thanks guys.

Well interesting thing is that neither the online sellers nor then stores say what kind of leather type the jacket is made from, at least what I've noticed. Most I could find is from which animal the leather comes from.

I personally have a feeling that these no name brands for 300€+ have just as good jackets, just we don't pay for brand name. I could be very wrong though.
For example Amsterdam based brand goosecraft is decent from what I read or you don't recommend either? Keep in mind I want to spend <400-500€.

Based on the jacket you showed us form Be Edgy, get on eBay and find a gently used moto jacket in the same style and you can get something very high quality in your price range that will last you a very long time.

estranged

Reaction score
Based on the jacket you showed us form Be Edgy, get on eBay and find a gently used moto jacket in the same style and you can get something very high quality in your price range that will last you a very long time.
looks like a good way to go, however how will i know it's really a high quality one? I assume i should look only for very well regarded leather brands, like Schott NYC? Also ebay sellers will unlikely to list the leather type, etc, don't you think?

Edit: I took a look at second hand jackets but here in Holland there is not much choice apparently.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

looks like a good way to go, however how will i know it's really a high quality one? I assume i should look only for very well regarded leather brands, like Schott NYC? Also ebay sellers will unlikely to list the leather type, etc, don't you think?

Brand is a good way to go, but you should probably first decide on what kind of leather jacket you want. IMO, quality takes second place to design. A double rider from Schott will look and feel very different than a double-rider from APC or whatever. First step is figuring out what kind of design you want.

estranged

Reaction score
Brand is a good way to go, but you should probably first decide on what kind of leather jacket you want. IMO, quality takes second place to design. A double rider from Schott will look and feel very different than a double-rider from APC or whatever. First step is figuring out what kind of design you want.
I want moto jacket (with collars) like:

1. This Schott jacket (Can't find the leather type). Just not sure about the belt thingy. The price is good on this as well. However there is USA version of same jacket which costs 2x as much, so not sure if the cheaper one won't be worse quality.
2. This Goosecraft jacket (Lamb). There is a brown version, and now with a discount it would only cost 240 which looks like a very nice deal for a brand new jacket. If you guys say this Goosecraft jacket is fine, i might grab it as the price is great.
3. This Serge Parient jacket looks realy good, but once again i have no idea what brand is this.. Coudn't find anything about it.

Thing is that most jackets sold here in Holland are from Lamb. I have nothing against that, but you say it won't last very long..

Last edited:

estranged

Reaction score
So I found this Pierre Cardin jacket for just 279 which looks awesome. I have no clue what material is that, but it says 100% leather, and the brand is authentic. It says "used" but I am pretty sure it's "used" style, and it's brand new, so strange that it's so cheap.

Also this Goosecraft jacket also looks very good.

Additionally, this Scotch & Soda (Holland brand) is 100% from goat leather, which i assume better than lamb leather for longevity.

And, Scotch & Soda from cow leather

Do you recommend any of those?

p.s. sorry for spamming ;p

Went on to try Scotch & Soda goat leather jacket and it fits perfectly, also looks nice, just little pricey at 400. Also, it feels quite thick and heavy, so not sure how it will work out for summer, maybe for summer lamb is better..

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads