• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

omgcookielol

Reaction score

Pic of a Real McCoy's grizzly by Junky Style in Tokyo. :inlove:

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that after a Cucinelli show or part of a Cucinelli show?

I wouldn't mind getting one of those jackets in a loot bag.

ncc1701d

Reaction score

Yeah, but HKG has a lot of good manufacturing facilities.  There are places there that can make you a really nice shearling that would cause heatstroke 350 days of the year in Hong Kong.

Any suggestions? I live there but wouldn't know where to go. Just want to get a leather vest made for my girlfriend.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Picked up a zb calf henrikson, very happy to have gotten it. Very soft and flexible calf in a nice mid weight, good on its own down to the 40s and I can layer under if it's cold
Fit pic?

Callusing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wasn't impressed with the Rick intarsia I had either, that and I really don't want elastic-bomber style cuffs. I'll have to keep ZB in mind. Also kinda tempted by this Siki one, although I think the paneling might make it a little weird to wear.

FWIW, I was eyeing that same jacket and found some runway / collection shots (pro fit pics) in an old SF listing. Gotta say that except for the neck, it looks far more conventional than I expected.

Also, there's an Incarnation jacket going for $313 shipped over on you-know-where. That's gotta be up somebody's alley...I'd get it, but I think everything else I wear is too clean for it to work.

Last edited:

ThunderMarch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Great thread here. I'm sorry to hijack it somewhat......
I'm a newbie to leather jackets and am actually looking to purchase my first one.
I'm most likely going to get the cafe racer from Aero as I've always been pretty partial to this particular design, and am hoping to have some input from the pros here.
This jacket would likely not be seeing very regular usage, as I stay in a country with very hot (year round) and humid weather. I'd likely use it for travels to cooler countries. With prob just a T shirt beneath.
I am aware quite a few of the members here (seem to) prefer FQHH or some of the thicker, stiffer variants. I understand it takes some time to break in, and some do enjoy the process a lot, and eventually end up with a really great looking jacket with a killer patina. However, as I prob won't be able to rotate through this jacket very frequently, I'm hoping to not start with a very thick / stiff leather. Do you guys think there would be a softer, more supple alternative with a shorter break in period needed?
Would the Vicenza Italian HH be a good choice in this scenario?

Adroit

Reaction score
Would the Vicenza Italian HH be a good choice in this scenario?

The Vincenza HH is more pliable than Horween FQHH, but it is still a thick, robust leather that needs to be broken in. If you have no personal experience with HH and you want a leather that is thinner / more pliable out of the box, you might be better off with goat or Aero's "Jerky" HH. Alternatively, deerskin is think and robust like HH, but much more pliable (I don't know if Aero offers deerskin).

il_colonnello

Reaction score
Dior Homme I got on Yoox on a whim:

I had pangs of conscience after ordering but I'm rather chuffed at how it fits me, so I'm coming round to the idea of keeping it.

Some info if anyone here is interested in the other size: I normally take a (long) size 46 in most outerwear. This one is a 48 but it fits fairly slim. Nevertheless the sleeves, like a lot of KVA-designed stuff, have generous length (great for me). I guess if the 48 sits on me like a size small, that means the size that they have left (52) would likely be closer to a large than an x-large.

The collar is a) removable and b) not shearling, as I had surmised, but beaver fur. Fabric care tag says the origin is Canada - I assume that implies it's a wild pelt? Maybe somebody with knowledge of the Canadian fur industry can share some insight.

The lining is cotton/viscose (cupro in the sleeves) and quilted/lightly padded, making it suitable for quite low temperatures. Leather is buttery soft, as I guess should go without saying. As usual with Yoox, the price on the tag has been scraped off, but you can just make out that the first figure was a "4"...

Last edited:

ThunderMarch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Vincenza HH is more pliable than Horween FQHH, but it is still a thick, robust leather that needs to be broken in.  If you have no personal experience with HH and you want a leather that is thinner / more pliable out of the box, you might be better off with goat or Aero's "Jerky" HH.  Alternatively, deerskin is think and robust like HH, but much more pliable (I don't know if Aero offers deerskin).

Hi there, thanks a lot for your input. I do appreciate it.
Actually, goat was my instinctive first choice as well. I'd actually emailed Aero and got a reply from them, saying that their Italian HH is "less rigid" than goat. To which I was rather surprised and wondered what you guys thought.
But thanks again, I think I'll need to do more reading, and also find out about their jerky HH. Looking through their leathers it seems like they don't have deerskin though ....

Last edited:

Adroit

Reaction score
Quote:
I have no personal experience with Aero's goat. That said, two weeks ago, I tried on a Himel goat and a Good Weat goat. Both were more pliable than my Vincenza jacket. In fact, I elected to go with Shinki HH rather than goat precisely because the goat was thinner than I prefer (and Shinki is slightly more pliable than Vicenza).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads