• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

omgcookielol

Reaction score
Not sure if there's an appropriate thread for this, but I've got some pre-production pictures from a custom/personal project that will probably be the best leather jacket I've ever owned. I left a swatch of forest green cowhide (aniline) out in the California sun for the warmer parts of last year, and I thought some of you would be interested in the results.

2.5-3 oz aniline cowhide

The sun bleached it down from that very deep green to an olive/army drab color with brown tones throughout. The darkened portion of the swatch was oiled and conditioned frequently to simulate contact points with skin - like the collar of a rider jacket. I had no idea what to expect when I decided that this was the leather I'd use, because most examples of unfinished leather that I've seen have been some shade between raw and brown... It didn't help Googling "green leather patina" because there hadn't been much documentation there either.

I'm happy with the results of the experiment though, and I'm glad that I decided to stick with this leather over something semi-aniline.

Thought I'd include these as well, since I haven't seen Talon get much love for as long as I've been a member here. The design isn't as uh... aesthetically? refined as YKK/RiRi/Lampo, etc. but for me, that's kind of the point. If you're making a jacket with unfinished leather (scars and color/pigmentation gradients) then why would you want to slap some dainty hardware on top? :satisfied:

#10 & #5

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if there's an appropriate thread for this, but I've got some pre-production pictures from a custom/personal project that will probably be the best leather jacket I've ever owned. I left a swatch of forest green cowhide (aniline) out in the California sun for the warmer parts of last year, and I thought some of you would be interested in the results.

2.5-3 oz aniline cowhide

The sun bleached it down from that very deep green to an olive/army drab color with brown tones throughout. The darkened portion of the swatch was oiled and conditioned frequently to simulate contact points with skin - like the collar of a rider jacket. I had no idea what to expect when I decided that this was the leather I'd use, because most examples of unfinished leather that I've seen have been some shade between raw and brown... It didn't help Googling "green leather patina" because there hadn't been much documentation there either.

I'm happy with the results of the experiment though, and I'm glad that I decided to stick with this leather over something semi-aniline.

Thought I'd include these as well, since I haven't seen Talon get much love for as long as I've been a member here.

#10 & #5

The jackets with Luxire will all use Talon hardware. For leather jackets, I can think of no brand with more history - and the zippers are sturdy and smooth.

ebayhtl

Reaction score

Very cool. Although I think HKG is about the last place on earth I would ever need a leather jacket.

I've been wearing leather jackets consistently last few weeks in HKG since early Jan, no problems - definitely could use a leather jacket here more than most SE Asia places (SG MY etc), not to mention a leather jacket would also be useful if a regular China traveller from HK...

pravda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@styleforumfan; check out the Channel line. Looks very similar.

Last edited:

ChrisGold

Reaction score

Most of my jackets have either modern or NOS vintage Talon zips. I'm not a fan of going huge with the gauge, as it often throws off the balance of the jacket. Totally depends on the jacket design, but #5 gets the job done for most leather jackets.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of my jackets have either modern or NOS vintage Talon zips. I'm not a fan of going huge with the gauge, as it often throws off the balance of the jacket. Totally depends on the jacket design, but #5 gets the job done for most leather jackets.
I like a beefy 10 for the main zipper, but for everything else, a 5 or 8 gauge zipper does the job well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads