• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, we're much more accustomed to cold weather up here in the Northeast. When I lived in Texas for a while, I started needing a coat at higher and higher temps as my body adjusted to the climate. I could see that B-3 being useful anywhere under 60°F for a lot of folks in Texas.
I lived in Houston for 20 years and my Cockpit A-2 would get an airing only once or twice a year.
Since moving to Tampa ten years ago it’s barely been out at all. (Slightly cooler summers, slightly warmer winters!) I did get a leather Levi’s trucker in 2017 which gets out a few times a year and may have eclipsed the usage of the A-2.

I’ve fantasised for years of getting a B-3 / Irvin but I just can’t justify it knowing it will barely see the light of day. Even if I used it on a possible (rare) winter trip home to England the weight and bulk would make it impractical for travel. There are some great examples out there - RL, Cockpit, Orvis used to do a nice one too - but common sense takes precedence.

There was a leather jacket shop on 34th street in New York which did a B-3 version with black fur that I tried on but the medium was too big. I thought I’d return on my next visit and get a small, next time I was in NYC the shop had disappeared. Maybe for the best!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's going to hit -10F here tonight, so that's not even remotely a concern right now.
Well, it actually hit -18F here last night. We have a heat exchanger right now, but thermodynamics is a *****, and the auxiliary heat is not quite enough to deal with -18F. I will probably get a gas insert and also a backup pellet burner as well. I really want this right now:

dbbradle

Reaction score
Unloading a Savas ’68 navy suede jacket from The Armoury. PM me if interested!
IMG_2026.jpeg

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it actually hit -18F here last night. We have a heat exchanger right now, but thermodynamics is a *****, and the auxiliary heat is not quite enough to deal with -18F. I will probably get a gas insert and also a backup pellet burner as well. I really want this right now:

This in their goatskin would be bulletproof. I have a goatskin, quilted lining, shearling collar jacket (Wilderness) from them that's kind of the little brother of the Blizzard. The drape of the goatskin is exquisite.

This week, I've been wearing a pretty amazing vintage goatskin coat through the snowy weather.
(Not my picture, but one from the person I bought it from.)

hands_pockets.jpg

karmaguy

Reaction score
hey guys, i decided to grab a falcon DR (stock 50) off ebay recently and got it in the mail today...feeling like it's too big for me (5'8, 145lbs, broad shoulders) but some feedback from you guys would be appreciated.

feels good in the shoulder (usually my problem with jackets) but maybe a little too loose in the chest and a bit too long...given that should i be aiming more for a 48 or a 49? or do i need to maybe just go the custom size 50 route?
IMG_4929.jpg

IMG_4930.jpg

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently grabbed this Warehouse & Co. Cossack in unlined deerskin. I thought the grain looks pretty good and I wanted a jacket in a lighter hide for LA weather.

Attachments

• IMG_5124.jpeg
    IMG_5124.jpeg
    185.1 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_5118.jpeg
    IMG_5118.jpeg
    188.5 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_5120.jpeg
    IMG_5120.jpeg
    224.5 KB · Views: 554
Last edited:

LeeR

Reaction score
hey guys, i decided to grab a falcon DR (stock 50) off ebay recently and got it in the mail today...feeling like it's too big for me (5'8, 145lbs, broad shoulders) but some feedback from you guys would be appreciated.

feels good in the shoulder (usually my problem with jackets) but maybe a little too loose in the chest and a bit too long...given that should i be aiming more for a 48 or a 49? or do i need to maybe just go the custom size 50 route?
View attachment 2116453
View attachment 2116455
Doesn’t look bad to me. Shoulders are good.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 2116453
View attachment 2116455

The fit is mediocre, though it looks better with the lapels zipped up, but more critically the proportions of the jacket are quite poor especially given how long it is. There are too many great alternatives, both vintage and modern, for this type of jacket to make this worth getting.

karmaguy

Reaction score
The fit is mediocre, though it looks better with the lapels zipped up, but more critically the proportions of the jacket are quite poor especially given how long it is. There are too many great alternatives, both vintage and modern, for this type of jacket to make this worth getting.
yeahhh the length seemed wrong but i think other than the shoulders, it's not a good fit for me overall. thanks for the feedback + i'll be throwing this up for sale but if anyone wants to jump on it faster, feel free to DM me! 475 shipped in the USA sans HI/AK

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads