• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just out of interest, but what describes the "standard" Fedora Lounge fit? And what is the standard Styleforum fit?
My impression would be that TFL is more about vintage/retro and retro inspired, whereas here it's more about fashion jackets (without meaning fashon jacket pejoratively).

Sinnedk already replied but yeah I’ve seen a bnch of ill fitting jackets there. The overall style is very different from SF as you say, but that’s not the issue. The main problem I guess is that MTM can yield terrible results, there’s plenty of bad TOJ disasters out there. But it does seem as if a more regular/boxier and longer fit is favoured over there. Even in Aero a lot of the models are listed as “relaxed fit” although they also have slim fitting ones. I’ve embraced relaxed fits in the past few years but not in leather jackets.

I kid you not, I googled “fedora lounge leather jacket”, went to the images tab and got ads for Indiana Jones jacket replicas so I think that sums it up. That’s all fine as I say, I’m sure many FL members would scoff at the Lanvin I posted above.

In any case I emailed Aero to ask whether it’d be possible to get a Premier Highwayman without chest pocket (they said yes), with zippered sleeves (also yes, +£30) and without side adjusters (said no on this one but I can live with it), today I’ve sent them the measurements of my best fitting Falcon Garments jacket (the one I also posted above) and asked if they think they could replicate them. If they say yes I’ll place an order and we’ll see in a few weeks/months (not sure if the 10/12 weeks lead time on the website is accurate). I just need to decide the leather but I’m leaning towards Vicenza.

Last edited:

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where are you located?

I’m surprised that you can’t try something like Iron Heart directly from the brand and return it sizing is wrong.

Madrid. There’s a shop I’m aware of that carries Iron Heart leather jackets (Angry Souls, I got a couple of things there including the RedWing boots I wore today) but they all seem to have the chest pocket(s) which I can only tolerate on DRs for some irrational reason. Also I know you like your jackets longer and I like them cropped so if they work for you they probably won’t work for me. 😉

Sorry not sure why the multi quote feature is not working for me. I’ll stop posting about this unless explicitly asked a question, I’ve polluted the thread enough although it seemed pretty dead unfortunately, it’s always been one of my favourites.

suedefetish

Reaction score
Flat head.
20231025_150517.jpg
20231025_150541.jpg

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Madrid. There’s a shop I’m aware of that carries Iron Heart leather jackets (Angry Souls, I got a couple of things there including the RedWing boots I wore today) but they all seem to have the chest pocket(s) which I can only tolerate on DRs for some irrational reason. Also I know you like your jackets longer and I like them cropped so if they work for you they probably won’t work for me. 😉

Sorry not sure why the multi quote feature is not working for me. I’ll stop posting about this unless explicitly asked a question, I’ve polluted the thread enough although it seemed pretty dead unfortunately, it’s always been one of my favourites.

Wait why? This is exactly what the third is for!!! we are discussing leather jackets.

I completely get you that my look won’t work for what you want.

Since you’re in Spain, I wonder if you could just reach out directly to Aero and ask them if they will sell you a jacket that’s off the rack with returns, etc. I can’t imagine shipping from the UK to Spain. Is that far

MrProper

Reaction score
Wait why? This is exactly what the third is for!!! we are discussing leather jackets.

I completely get you that my look won’t work for what you want.

Since you’re in Spain, I wonder if you could just reach out directly to Aero and ask them if they will sell you a jacket that’s off the rack with returns, etc. I can’t imagine shipping from the UK to Spain. Is that far
Since the Brexit, this is no longer straightforward. Aero deducts VAT when you buy outside the UK, but the shipping company then charges customs duty and local VAT again when you import into the EU. So far so good, but if you send something back, it is not so easy to get the local VAT back. I've been doing this in one case for three months now and haven't had a result yet.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Since the Brexit, this is no longer straightforward. Aero deducts VAT when you buy outside the UK, but the shipping company then charges customs duty and local VAT again when you import into the EU. So far so good, but if you send something back, it is not so easy to get the local VAT back. I've been doing this in one case for three months now and haven't had a result yet.

Yikes that’s awful

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's why I never order anything I am 100% sure about the fit from outside EU. Or only if I find something at price that is so good that I am willing to take the risk because I know I will be able to easily sell it if it doesn't fit.

SocialSculptures

Reaction score
Long shot, but does anyone have a Schott x 3sixteen A-2 in size small that they would part with?

I have one in excellent condition in size extra small, but I'm looking to size up. I'm open to trading or buying outright.

Schott A2.png

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a buyer from EU, Brexit sucks big time. I wonder how much it’s affected (for better or worse) the British clothing and shoes companies. Now I also rarely order from the UK, unless it’s something I can’t find anywhere, or such as in this case, where most interesting makers are not in the EU anyway.

I ordered a Blake Hedley shearling last year, had to pay import duties, VAT and all that and then returned (exchanged for another Blake Hedley) and I was told I couldn’t get what I paid in taxes back.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Vickt

Reaction score
damn why you showing me up dude???

how does the cut compare? looks a little longer and boxier. I probably could have benefitted from that I think
Haha, nah, I like yours better. The dropped shoulders is classic and no visible stitching on the hem is cleaner. Never tried an older model so can’t speak to the fit.

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of 5zips, what are the differences between the MM6 version and the mainline one?

I’d still want a 5zip some day, but my SO would file for divorce, although we’re not married. I think she would marry me only to get a divorce because of how pissed she’d be if I get another jacket.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Speaking of 5zips, what are the differences between the MM6 version and the mainline one?

I’d still want a 5zip some day, but my SO would file for divorce, although we’re not married. I think she would marry me only to get a divorce because of how pissed she’d be if I get another jacket.

How many do you have ?

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many do you have ?

- Sandro tan trucker in calf suede
- Sandro in burgundy calf + shearling collar
- Falcon Garments MA-1 in burgundy lamb
- Falcon Garments blue QDR in blue suede
- Falcon Garments A2 in brown goat
- Falcon Garments DR2 in black calf
- Blake Hedley black and toffe shearling
- Zara grey shearling
- 10sei0otto in black oiled calf

And just yesterday I placed an order for an Aero… that’s 10 I think.

I also have an old Superdry because it was my first leather jacket from before I had any interest in clothes, I don’t wear it but has sentimental value.

I’m going to get rid of the 10sei0otto, which happens to have the nicest leather of all the jackets I own (according to Fascinate in Japan it came from one of the tanneries Rick Owen uses/used) but not into that style anymore. Also probably the QDR in calf suede, it’s very nice but I always have problems adding blue to fits and it’s an inch longer than I’d like.

On my wish list there’s the 5zip (here’s the MM6 I was asking about, a calf one made in Italy, I wonder how it’s different from the main line https://www.ssense.com/en-it/men/product/mm6-maison-margiela/black-zip-leather-jacket/13366221) and maybe a grizzly and/or the Mr Freedom Lawrence. And if I were a millionaire I’d get a Real McCoy’s B-7 and buy a house in the Pyrenees to be able to wear it.

I have a similar problem with boots, way too many.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads