• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Selling my 5-zip for the same or similar reasons. As preferences change, so do perceptions of comfort and fit…

have you tried wearing the jacket in a 'non styleforum' way? i think it pairs really well with big trousers

Unsubscr1ber

Reaction score
have you tried wearing the jacket in a 'non styleforum' way? i think it pairs really well with big trousers

Thanks for taking the time. I really don’t find it challenging to style, in my middle-aged way, and I love the jacket. But I’ve gained an inch or two in the chest and while I once enjoyed a close fitting café racer, that feels less comfortable to me now. I’d love to have this in a genuinely larger size but when I tried one size up I recall thinking that only the body was longer (not great for this style, in my opinion). I hope someone gets good use out of it and I've listed it. It’s an unusual 5-zip — the calf is heavy but soft, with a beautiful grain. I’ve treasured it and enjoyed owning it which is the most I could ask for.

Last edited:

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Schott’s in house modification/repair department does good work and charges well below independent market rate for it. Well worth pursuing. They did multiple mods on my jacket and made me a detachable shearling collar out of some really impeccable sheepskin all for less than the price of just getting a sheepskin collar somewhere.

I would suggest using shippo, PayPal, or another service where you give the dimensions of your package and it gives you the cheapest wholesale rates with each carrier.

Yeah, that's the route I took, UPS shipping rates aren't exactly Schott's problem, and I felt the cost of doing this lining work was reasonable. That said, had I known I'd be over $1,200 all in for the coat, I probably just would have started with the PER70. Anyways, looking forward to seeing how the jacket feels with the new lining, and how it passes the tennis balls test..

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's the route I took, UPS shipping rates aren't exactly Schott's problem, and I felt the cost of doing this lining work was reasonable. That said, had I known I'd be over $1,200 all in for the coat, I probably just would have started with the PER70. Anyways, looking forward to seeing how the jacket feels with the new lining, and how it passes the tennis balls test..

Can I just say that I love that I've introduced a new unit of fitting measurement into the Styleforum lexicon.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The PER70 would have had most of the issues you already do with the PER22 and PER28 as riding jackets, as far as the material goes, and it wouldn’t have had the range of motion of the 118. Going for a 118 and getting it modified was the right call.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any Cult fans in the house? Guess Billy Duffy is a fan of Lewis Leathers. I mean, I'm guessing that's Lewis. What else could it be?

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the reason i hang onto my 5 zip is i think works really well styled like this for example, so can look much more contemporary than the dated SF trad look (ie slim jeans, boots)
signal-2022-10-16-133418_002.jpeg

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the 5 zip but I just can't separate all the dates celebrities wearing em. I feel like I'll look like Nicholas Cage or Ludacris in it

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw them open for Billy Idol a really really long time ago when She Sells Sanctuary was all over the radio and MTV.
Fantastic concert.
Love it!

I saw them in 1986 at the Orpheum in Boston. One of my very first shows as a wee lad.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any Cult fans in the house? Guess Billy Duffy is a fan of Lewis Leathers. I mean, I'm guessing that's Lewis. What else could it be?

This is the Dominator, which is the Lewis Leathers version of the legendary Highwayman jacket from Rivetts of Leytonstone (another one of the big midcentury British motorcycle gear brands, though they’ve gone out of business). Aero, which also has rights to the design, sells their own version under the name 59’er Highwayman.

The main difference between these is going to be the leather options. The Aero version comes in a soft but substantial black steerhide, whereas the Lewis comes in either similarly soft, though less robust, sheepskin or stiff motorcycling-oriented cowhides and horsehides with a top coat.

All of these hides are good quality, though the Aero probably hits a nice middle ground. (The price differences are negligible; Lewis looks higher at a glance but their site shows the British prices by default. Once VAT is deducted, you’re in the same zone.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads