• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe the pictures are a little deceiving, but on them the jacket looks one size too big.
Hmm, it was a fit that allowed a bit of room for a layer or two underneath, but definitely not baggy. But you are right, it is likely a little long and a size down would have looked better. No point spending 900USD on something that isn't a great fit.

Problem is, this jacket only comes in S/M/L sizes, if I am remembering rightly, so going down a size is like going down 1.5 sizes.

Fit critique? My new Premier Highwayman.

View attachment 1749213 View attachment 1749215

Nailed it. You're done with leather jacket shopping.

CWV

Reaction score
A question to you all.
I’ve seen some sheep leather that’ arevery soft and pliable. So much so that I can not tell it apart from lamb with my precarious knowledge. Could you enlighten me about the differebce?

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know I'm in the minority on this, but I'm not a fan of that Premier Highwayman or most Aero models. Only model I really like from them is the Board Racer.

That's OK. I'm really interested in hearing what is it that you don't like?

It's kind of unusual model in many ways, especially since I asked some customizations more in the BR territory.

I still have their BR, but it doesn't really fit my physique nor what else I wear any more. Besides, my 19 yo son already borrows it too often, so the plan was to let him have it.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's OK. I'm really interested in hearing what is it that you don't like?

It's kind of unusual model in many ways, especially since I asked some customizations more in the BR territory.

I still have their BR, but it doesn't really fit my physique nor what else I wear any more. Besides, my 19 yo son already borrows it too often, so the plan was to let him have it.

A lot of Aero jackets just have a LeatherDad vibe to me. Again, I recognize that I'm in the minority on this. I just think there are so many other jackets that are cooler, or that some of the Aeros can be styled in a way that's cooler. But oftentimes, especially the more niche styles, the outfits come together in a way that I don't think looks very good.

MrProper

Reaction score
A lot of Aero jackets just have a LeatherDad vibe to me. Again, I recognize that I'm in the minority on this. I just think there are so many other jackets that are cooler, or that some of the Aeros can be styled in a way that's cooler. But oftentimes, especially the more niche styles, the outfits come together in a way that I don't think looks very good.
Any leather jacket from any brand has the leather dad vibe if it doesn't fit or the rest of the outfit looks like leather dad.

Moostyle

Reaction score
Hmm I think this Aero Ridley jacket, which I would customize without the D/utility pocket and instead have matching left and right diagonal zipper pockets and also darker colour buttons/zips, is my favourite jacket that I have seen so far. The fit and colour tone are pretty much exactly what I am looking for https://www.thurston-bros.com/products/copy-of-in-stock-aero-ridley

Is this leather Vicenza horsehide dark seal?

1644038496749.png

1644038676357.png

With a nice pair of brown boots and dark jeans this jacket would just look fantastic.

Last edited:

nyarkies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any leather jacket from any brand has the leather dad vibe if it doesn't fit or the rest of the outfit looks like leather dad.
I disagree. Jackets from fashion labels just end up looking terribly styled if the whole attire is not cohesive but somehow, I find it hard to see it ending up looking like a leather dad fit. On the other hand, with these repro/heritage brands, even if the whole attire is cohesive, it can still look like a leather dad fit.

fendermustang

Reaction score
I know I'm in the minority on this, but I'm not a fan of that Premier Highwayman or most Aero models. Only model I really like from them is the Board Racer.
Aero is widely disliked by many, that's not a minority opinion. I'm not a fan of the brand and wouldn't order a jacket from them. but I think sometimes they do make jackets that people wear well, the post at the end of the last page is an example of that. He looks really comfortable in the jacket but simultaneously sharp, proportions are excellent, it gives a pretty understated chic or urban flair without being loud or calling too much attention to itself. not that easy to find. aero markets this as being from the early twentieth century or whatever (yawn) but i'm seeing more a refined take on the 1970s that's attractive without being an overstatement. collar is excellent and the leather looks attractive.
I'd be curious to hear more in depth what gives you the "leather dad" vibe. is it just that the poster has what looks like a crib behind him? lol

Moostyle

Reaction score
Aero is widely disliked by many, that's not a minority opinion. I'm not a fan of the brand and wouldn't order a jacket from them. but I think sometimes they do make jackets that people wear well, the post at the end of the last page is an example of that. He looks really comfortable in the jacket but simultaneously sharp, proportions are excellent, it gives a pretty understated chic or urban flair without being loud or calling too much attention to itself. not that easy to find.
If you are referring to the jacket I posted then I think it looks like it could have been made by any exclusive brand in the world. It manages to look simultaneously cool, classy and timeless. I wonder if I would be lucky enough to get that kind of fit if I ordered a custom jacket based on that design and my measurements.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agreed.

Disagreed.

I disagree. Jackets from fashion labels just end up looking terribly styled if the whole attire is not cohesive but somehow, I find it hard to see it ending up looking like a leather dad fit. On the other hand, with these repro/heritage brands, even if the whole attire is cohesive, it can still look like a leather dad fit.

Agreed.

Culture Wars: Leather Jacket Thread vs. Heritage Leather Jacket Thread

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But, I am a leather dad. ?‍♂️

Aero has many retro styles that are trying to be historically accurate (I am no workwear historian, so can't judge). Many look to me like prohibition / great depression era bootlegger pieces. I am not after that style.

That PHWM was meant to fit more RnR vibes. I style it with something like thin rollneck sweater, dark jeans and black chelsea boots. I think it works well on me. At 6'3" and in decent shape, I can pull it off. Besides, it's a new jacket, but look is not new to me. It's not like anyone that knows me already will think "oh, midlife crisis victim..."

I mean, I get the leather dad comment. If you browse the internet for Aero jackets, you find mostly gents in their 40+. Some style it well, some don't. It's not a fashion brand. You won't find a lot of skinny models or tiktok influencers promoting it.

No one would say that @MrProper is giving out leather-dad vibes? He looks as bad-ass in his Aero CR or Ridley as it gets.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads