• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ThreadsofApollo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It's a joke, bro.

Yeah, I figured it was a joke but based on some reputation of him really liking Japanese-made leather jackets/anything Japanese so I was curious to see if the joke was based on actual insight. I'm new so forgive me if I didn't understand.Trying to learn.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I figured it was a joke but based on some reputation of him really liking Japanese-made leather jackets/anything Japanese so I was curious to see if the joke was based on actual insight. I'm new so forgive me if I didn't understand.Trying to learn.
I know for a fact that he likes the Margiela 5 zip.

ThreadsofApollo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I know for a fact that he likes the Margiela 5 zip.

Ahhh, not a fan of the price at all but looks like a solidly constructed jacket! Pretty simple and nothing too crazy. Figured Interesting that it comes/came in a few different types of leather. The ones I just saw came in either buffed calf, sheep, or goat.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahhh, not a fan of the price at all but looks like a solidly constructed jacket! Pretty simple and nothing too crazy. Figured Interesting that it comes/came in a few different types of leather. The ones I just saw came in either buffed calf, sheep, or goat.
It depends on the year and season. I have a maroon version in calf from a long time ago, and a heavy cracked heavy cow leather one from maybe 2001-2002, when I lived in LA, is one of my big retail regret-I-did-not-kops.

The style is iconic. It's not like CCP, which is a crazy masterpiece of cutting, nor is it meant to be. I think that it's one of those pieces that designers should be refered to over and over again to remind them to not always overthink things.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ifticar2

Reaction score
I maintain that he likes women on boats. It probably reminds him of his dream of escaping to the ocean back in the Great Depression or something.

He was also in Wakanda for a while, and got healed up in Wakanda, so that may have changed his tastes

stevenkmason

Reaction score
That was a sweet jacket. I do wish that they hadn’t had to thin out the leather at the shoulders, but I get why they did. Otherwise, It’s a definite gem.

My great white Buffalo in life is that 3Sixteen x Schott roughout jacket in XXL. I check all the resale sites daily and went as far as having a friend who knows the 3Sixteen guys reach out to figure out where they went. We’ve both also called all the Schott stores that carried them.

ThreadsofApollo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It depends on the year and season. I have a maroon version in calf from a long time ago, and a heavy cracked heavy cow leather one from maybe 2001-2002, when I lived in LA, is one of my big retail regret-I-did-not-kops.

The style is iconic. It's not like CCP, which is a crazy masterpiece of cutting, nor is it meant to be. I think that it's one of those pieces that designers should be referred to over and over again to remind them to not always overthink things.

By cutting you are referring more to the process, prior to the stitching process correct? Or more with regards to the jacket "cut" of the jacket and how it fits? Regardless they seem to have both down (CCP that is from what I am seeing) as picking out and cutting leather is an art form in its own right.

Definitely agree though that sometimes simple is the right approach. But then again, that's all we do right now so of course, I'll be thinking that hahaha.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By cutting you are referring more to the process, prior to the stitching process correct? Or more with regards to the jacket "cut" of the jacket and how it fits? Regardless they seem to have both down (CCP that is from what I am seeing) as picking out and cutting leather is an art form in its own right.

Definitely agree though that sometimes simple is the right approach. But then again, that's all we do right now so of course, I'll be thinking that hahaha.
I'm referring to the actual cutting. It's pretty remarkable and not something that you can see online, The jacket, at first glance, looks like a collared cafe racer with interesting pockets and hardware, but it's much more, even putting aside the leather treatments. You need to have a jacket in hand to wee what is going on. I suppose that if you saw someone to a video showing the jacket, pulling slightly at the seams to see the stitching, how different parts and folded to get the shaping that they want, etc...

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've owned older calf 5 zips, but the only one I have left is one of the more maligned coated, thin lamb ones. Don't care, it's great.

ThreadsofApollo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm referring to the actual cutting. It's pretty remarkable and not something that you can see online, The jacket, at first glance, looks like a collared cafe racer with interesting pockets and hardware, but it's much more, even putting aside the leather treatments. You need to have a jacket in hand to wee what is going on. I suppose that if you saw someone to a video showing the jacket, pulling slightly at the seams to see the stitching, how different parts and folded to get the shaping that they want, etc...

Wow sounds like one hell of a jacket. I was browsing through the CCP thread and saw some close-ups and have a better feel for what you're saying!. Definitely feel like I need to get my hands on one of their high neck jackets sometime in the near future and look and feel it in person.

nyarkies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He’s talking about the Margiela 5 zip.
No. Fok was talking about CCP's Scarstitch jacket.

As for 5-zips, my only experience is a calf from the later 2000s and a horsehide one from 2011. While I prefer the horsehide they used, the cut was slimmed down and lost that dropped shoulder trait.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads