• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Screenshot_20200513-091552_Instagram.jpg

Popped up on my feed. SOP collabo with LAER looks dope. Nice matte finish. I wish it was a cafecto.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you sign up for their mail catalog (like the physical ones that come in the mail), they often print exclusive coupon codes inside. Sort of like J. Crew.
I signed up for the catalogue and email, which sent a 15% code for the first order.

That was easy. Thanks guys.
Email list didn’t get me anything. Requested print catalog and this came in immediately.

26965645-B0F8-448A-88AC-9A273D9A98F4.jpeg

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think sheep or lambskin since it isn't cold. unless the folks who have horsehide can chime in on wearing it in warmer temps

I have an unlined horse hide jacket from Himel and it it wears well in warmer temp. Obviously, not really hot temps. Plus, you get to see the beautiful inside of the leather (rough-in?) which gets its own patina.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have an Aero, although I've handled an Aero Board Racer once (not the A2). The build quality seemed really nice. I have a Buzz Rickson A-2, but not McCoy. My understanding is that vintage nerds argue over which of these two Japanese repro companies are more historically correct, but tbh I don't really know enough about that area.

There's a whole slew of companies in that workwear space. TBH, I have a hard time telling the difference between them. Goodwear, Real McCoys, Buzz Rickson, Diamond Dave (I think he may have closed), Aero, Bill Kelso, ELC, etc.

If you're into vintage, there's a guy in Berkeley named Zoltan who runs a tailoring shop called Advanced European Tailors. He buys old vintage jackets and repairs them with original trims, then sells them to collectors in Japan. I use him for some alterations work. You could contact him to see if he has something in the back that he's willing to sell you for cheap. He and his wife are wonderful people, and they're genuine enthusiasts about this stuff. Zoltan has a bunch of issues of Lightening and other Japanese menswear mags laying around his shop. Zoltan tells me that he taught John Chapman how to sew (Chapman is the guy behind Goodwear).

This is helpful. It is hard to justify spending 2X as much for a jacket without seeing and feeling them. Many of these stockist don't take returns, only exchanges and Aero are MTO unless they happen to have one in your size.

I'm actually currently winning on the jacket I posted above. I figured that if it didn't work for me I could flip it and if it did, I'm only out three bills. I will also contact your buddy above and if nothing else, use him for any repairs I may need.

Some Canadian stockists carry the RMC one for just under $2k which is a few bills less than the US stockist or ordering directly from Japan (for some reason).

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So no real answer to my McCoy vs. Aero question.

Seems the Canadian stockists have the the best pricing on RMCs.

I guess there is always the option of going full patina with something like this:

Don't know why I'm attracted to this jacket. Maybe because I'm ex Air Force and I have family members who served in both the AF and Navy (my uncle was a B52 navigator, however, I worked on fighters not bombers). Not sure if I could pull it off authentically but it is pretty darn cool.
The guys on Fedora Lounge I'd bet would surely have something to say re: the Aero vs. RMC question. I don't take as much stock into their fit opinions as here on average, but in regards to details and research it's a fantastic resource if you haven't been there.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Horse to me always looks a bit more rugged. If your style leans workwear-ish, it can be nice.

Lambskin, similarly, looks more contemporary to me. It's softer and drapes differently. If you make a cafe racer out of horsehide, it looks very tough. If you make the same pattern out of lambskin, it looks like you shop at Barneys (well, before it closed) or Brooks Brothers.

Similarly, DR in horsehide looks tough. DR in lambskin looks a bit more fashiony. Aside from comfort, I think the materials depend on what kind of look you want.

Regarding LAER, Ben as a video about them on YouTube.

PME Legend

Reaction score
Little stroll through the park yesterday or Saturday...can't remember / days are a blur now. Either way, really love the thickness of this FCL Leon Custom and to think the only leather that I had was a Rag & Bone jacket I purchased 7 years ago.

Will admit that the jacket fits a bit better without the hoody underneath but the hoody gives some added warmth on blustery days.

Would never have found this brand had I not lurked around here. Thanks for all the info and new brands to collect!

View attachment 1387178
F*ck that jacket suits you!

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That leather breaks in better than any other I've had. Develops a really nice grain and gets much softer

Which leathers so you currently own? I'm curious!

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one asked, but since I have been looking at jackets and measuring my own against stuff on line, I took some shots of the interior wear of my unlined HH Himel Bros. I was interested in how it was looking after 8 years of wear an breaking in a bunch of raw denim.

I kind of like it, maybe I'll flip it inside out ;).

IMG_20200513_160414935.jpg
IMG_20200513_160402760.jpg
IMG_20200513_160439248.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads