• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Le De Bonne Facture Thread

Strumbeck

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys, really helpful to hear everyone’s opinion.

Here’s another pic with a chunky knit as requested (I was wearing a pretty thin polo in the original).
View attachment 2065563

Still on the fence a bit as I kind of agree with every opinion so far, but maybe it’s just a matter of getting used to the voluminous nature of it. The sleeves definitely should get shortened a bit though. I think that’ll clean it up.
The coat and fit looks great on you, I often look for longer coats, can be very hard to find.
Don’t shorten the total length, it seems very risky, just shorten the arms.

superpotato

Reaction score

Here’s another pic with a chunky knit as requested (I was wearing a pretty thin polo in the original).
View attachment 2065563

Still on the fence a bit as I kind of agree with every opinion so far, but maybe it’s just a matter of getting used to the voluminous nature of it. The sleeves definitely should get shortened a bit though. I think that’ll clean it up.
I love oversized slouchy coats but when the sleeves are that long I would consider sizing down. My absolute maximum for sleeve length is middle of palm.

Donut

Reaction score
I hear everyone on sizing down but unfortunately, I probably can't afford to get this jacket brand new on my current budget. A tailor will probably have to be the in-between option. I do have short arms even relative to my height (t-rex) so this is often an issue on most shirts and jackets I buy in my size. I did wear the coat today and am starting to really enjoy the length. It just feels so "grand", for a lack of a better word, when you walk and it flows.

Again, thanks everyone for the opinions!

jtorres94

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hear everyone on sizing down but unfortunately, I probably can't afford to get this jacket brand new on my current budget. A tailor will probably have to be the in-between option. I do have short arms even relative to my height (t-rex) so this is often an issue on most shirts and jackets I buy in my size. I did wear the coat today and am starting to really enjoy the length. It just feels so "grand", for a lack of a better word, when you walk and it flows.

Shorten the sleeves, pop the collar to have the jacket frame you even better and wear with chunky knits, then you’re set. But if you’re still not honestly comfortable, sell the coat and get something you’re confident in.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. The coat comes just past the knees in the selfies posted by @Donut above. Similar to these:

Yes, all of this, I would also compare it toooooooo;

The DBF page for the Grandad coat, showing a longer (below the knee) length:

De-Bonne-Facture---Fall-Winter-2023---Edition-21---3_a8b12872-74a0-44b7-a6bd-2fb23821e90a.jpg

View attachment 2065563

Yes, overall, it looks good. Shorten the sleeves a bit, then wear it and enjoy it.

I love oversized slouchy coats but when the sleeves are that long I would consider sizing down. My absolute maximum for sleeve length is middle of palm.

Why size down when shoulders and chest fit well, shortening sleeves is an easy alteration.

Shorten the sleeves, pop the collar to have the jacket frame you even better and wear with chunky knits, then you’re set. But if you’re still not honestly comfortable, sell the coat and get something you’re confident in.
At the end of the day, ^^ this is the answer.

LatAm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would also add, I'm all in for a longer coat, love that look myself, but the pockets look kind of low relative to your waist, so perhaps there is a risk that even if you have the sleeves shortened, it will still look like you borrowed the coat from someone taller.

Edited to add: Also second @jtorres94 and @hpreston: beware the "it was such a great bargain I have to make it work somehow" trap. Have made that mistake myself, got something altered (also Team T-Rex arms!) but never felt right wearing it and then much harder to sell it on.

Possibly you might decide in the end it's just not right for you. So don't rush into a decision, plenty of Winter months left to sell it on (especially if unaltered) if you eventually go that route.

Last edited:

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They did not bump prices, they just no longer deduct VAT at checkout for the USA like they used to. If you purchase something for example from Canada, VAT is still deducted.

The de minimis value for the US is $800, so anything over that you will pay duty in the United States as well. It's pretty easy to spend over $800 (especially now that things cost 20% more), so essentially I am being double taxed for items I purchase from the DBF webshop. This would be a non-issue if I could purchase from their US retailers, but there are many items that can't be found in the US or are webshop exclusives.

I understand the reasoning, and this is probably petty of me, but it leaves a sour taste in my mouth that I just unexpectedly had to pay a combined $300 in taxes and duties on a $650 purchase.

I always thought that VAT had to be deducted when shipping to the US. VAT only applies to sales in the EU/UK, yes? I can file to get VAT refunded when I travel to the UK and buy in person.

DoubleDouble

Reaction score
It also depends a lot on climate and the rest of your wardrobe.

For example, I wouldn't want a coat I'm forced to only wear with chunky sweaters, because I don't own another coat, and I want my one coat to be versatile. And I live in California, I can wear a heavy coat + chunky sweater for 1–2 weeks a year.

metamodernman

Reaction score
I always thought that VAT had to be deducted when shipping to the US. VAT only applies to sales in the EU/UK, yes? I can file to get VAT refunded when I travel to the UK and buy in person.
I notice that VAT is calculated in a seperate "tax" line item when I specify an EU delivery, but with a US delivery, it just increases the overall price itself to the same amount as price + VAT, without the seperate "tax" line item. I would characterize this as a price increase for US deliveries.

Donut

Reaction score
I would also add, I'm all in for a longer coat, love that look myself, but the pockets look kind of low relative to your waist, so perhaps there is a risk that even if you have the sleeves shortened, it will still look like you borrowed the coat from someone taller.

Edited to add: Also second @jtorres94 and @hpreston: beware the "it was such a great bargain I have to make it work somehow" trap. Have made that mistake myself, got something altered (also Team T-Rex arms!) but never felt right wearing it and then much harder to sell it on.

Possibly you might decide in the end it's just not right for you. So don't rush into a decision, plenty of Winter months left to sell it on (especially if unaltered) if you eventually go that route.
Totally agree. I've really honed in on that point in the second paragraph over the years as I've definitely wasted money on a fair share of beautiful things that just don't work because it never felt right to wear. I've also had a couple things become my favorite items after a minor alteration. I will say that I think that the chest and shoulders would be too slim if I sized down (akin to those Division Road model shots that have been posted), especially because I'll be wearing sweaters/flannels/jackets under this 80% of the time.

Think I'll keep the coat and take it to the tailor and just see how the sleeve looks slightly shortened. I don't plan to chop off a huge amount as I'm mindful of the silhouette as everyone has mentioned. I'll hold off on an actual length alteration though as I'm kind of digging it. The different fit pics quoted above are super helpful. That grandad coat shot from DBF is actually sort of how it actually sits on me now.

It also depends a lot on climate and the rest of your wardrobe.

For example, I wouldn't want a coat I'm forced to only wear with chunky sweaters, because I don't own another coat, and I want my one coat to be versatile. And I live in California, I can wear a heavy coat + chunky sweater for 1–2 weeks a year.
This is where its a benefit to live in Canada. At least I can look cool 4-6 months of the year while freezing my balls off.

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally agree. I've really honed in on that point in the second paragraph over the years as I've definitely wasted money on a fair share of beautiful things that just don't work because it never felt right to wear. I've also had a couple things become my favorite items after a minor alteration. I will say that I think that the chest and shoulders would be too slim if I sized down (akin to those Division Road model shots that have been posted), especially because I'll be wearing sweaters/flannels/jackets under this 80% of the time.

Think I'll keep the coat and take it to the tailor and just see how the sleeve looks slightly shortened. I don't plan to chop off a huge amount as I'm mindful of the silhouette as everyone has mentioned. I'll hold off on an actual length alteration though as I'm kind of digging it. The different fit pics quoted above are super helpful. That grandad coat shot from DBF is actually sort of how it actually sits on me now.

This is where its a benefit to live in Canada. At least I can look cool 4-6 months of the year while freezing my balls off.
I have the DBF grandad coat, and it looks exactly like that on me and I'm 6' (183 cm).

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I notice that VAT is calculated in a seperate "tax" line item when I specify an EU delivery, but with a US delivery, it just increases the overall price itself to the same amount as price + VAT, without the seperate "tax" line item. I would characterize this as a price increase for US deliveries.
There is technically no law that they have to deduct VAT. If it's not deducted, the vendor just pockets the extra amount, since it does not need to be provided to the government. So yes, effectively just a price increase for US customers.

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So much for buying anything direct from DbF. I will wait for domestic sales. I've never heard of any other vendor doing this.

puller_mica

Reaction score
So much for buying anything direct from DbF. I will wait for domestic sales. I've never heard of any other vendor doing this.
Unsure of your location, but the price increase will likely not get resolved with US purchases. I asked them about this back in September and it seems their partnership with Nordstrom necessitated the DBF price change (20% increase site-wide).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads